Personal photos showing curvature of earth?

sunshaker

A friend of mine believes in the flat earth theory, I know there is loads of "evidence" supporting the earth is round(ish),

But he insists that all evidence has been faked,

Has we do not live near an ocean, I wondered if anyone had any personal photos showing a boats sail coming across the horizon showing curvature?

I showed him the video of the highest parachute jump to show the curvature of earth, but he believes this was faked/altered, if you stop video at 6.29 to 6.31 you will see the curvature change to an opposite curvature also at 7.38 upon landing the picture shows opposite curvature.

Which he believes proofs the camera used was fixed to show a curvature.

So I wondered if any of you who may live near an ocean have any personal pictures showing this curvature?

If he believes in a world wide conspiracy that hides the truth of a flat Earth, then why do you think he would trust personal photos from strangers on the internet?

Perhaps he wouldn't, but I was interested if anyone had personal photos, other than those few that I can find on the net.

Or do we all take it as fact by what we have "read or seen" on the internet, instead of a personal confirmation taken by ourselves.

I know all the proof I have for a round world comes from internet/tv, which as a strong case for a round world. but I have no personal proof which I should try and get.

I thought I might try and find to local tall building at a certain distance apart and see if they where completely vertical to each other or slightly further apart a the top to the bottom, I am unsure of the distance apart they would have to be to get a measure ment to show curvature.

example if twin towers where a mile apart would there top measurement be wider than there bottom measurment?

Perhaps he wouldn't, but I was interested if anyone had personal photos, other than those few that I can find on the net.

Any photo offered up here will be a picture that one can find on the net.

What you really want, perhaps, is a video showing a ship appearing/disappearing over the horizon.

....I thought I might try and find to local tall building at a certain distance apart and see if they where completely vertical to each other or slightly further apart a the top to the bottom, I am unsure of the distance apart they would have to be to get a measure ment to show curvature.

example if twin towers where a mile apart would there top measurement be wider than there bottom measurment?

There is a single span bridge in the east of England that has two 155m towers 4626ft apart. Many years ago I happened to be working in a field some miles away that was in the middle of the two towers and I could clearly see the towers leaning outwards when it was pointed out to me by the chap I was with. It's quite a sight. I can't find any pictures on the internet from that position.

The simplest logical proof is that, looking out on the ocean horizon, you will always see the top of a tall ship first before you see the hull as it into comes into sight or is the last thing you see as it goes away into the distance, like it's coming or going over a hill. If it was flat the ship would just get smaller and smaller until it was a dot.

Edit: X-posted with swansont

Edited by StringJunky

Or do we all take it as fact by what we have "read or seen" on the internet, instead of a personal confirmation taken by ourselves.

Well, speaking for myself, I can personally confirm that gravity exists and see with my own eyes how the Moon is shaped, logically it is gravity that holds all the parts of a natural celestial object together, thus the Earth has to be round too.

I struggle to believe why anyone could believe in a flat earth.. What would ANYONE gain in faking the round earth theory? I bet he believes in Homeopathy too and that sugar gives you cancer. I would just ridicule him and hope he sees how dumb he is being - if not, do you really want this idiot as your friend? lol.

There is a single span bridge in the east of England that has two 155m towers 4626ft apart. Many years ago I happened to be working in a field some miles away that was in the middle of the two towers and I could clearly see the towers leaning outwards when it was pointed out to me by the chap I was with. It's quite a sight. I can't find any pictures on the internet from that position.

I would like to see this bridge, i will search later, cheers

Any photo offered up here will be a picture that one can find on the net.

What you really want, perhaps, is a video showing a ship appearing/disappearing over the horizon.

I have tried searching for a video, could only find this one, but it shows no curvature, perhaps it is not distant enough, but what distance would it need?

I thought maybe a seaview of new york or dubai might show this curvature,

the best picture I can find of New York is from monmouth county(20 nautical miles) but it does not seem to show any curvature.

post-79233-0-85680200-1435851562_thumb.jpg

What distance would you need to make new yorks bottom line disappear?

I struggle to believe why anyone could believe in a flat earth.. What would ANYONE gain in faking the round earth theory? I bet he believes in Homeopathy too and that sugar gives you cancer. I would just ridicule him and hope he sees how dumb he is being - if not, do you really want this idiot as your friend? lol.

Good friends are hard to come by, I enjoy people who question everything, It might become frustrating now and again but he is a great musician, plays the guitar better than anyone i have ever heard, i get my own personal concert well worth chatting about a flat earth theory. (which i have not ever put a lot of thought into, until now).

I have tried searching for a video, could only find this one, but it shows no curvature, perhaps it is not distant enough, but what distance would it need?

It needs to be long enough to show the ship disappearing over the horizon (maybe time lapse?). You might ask why there is a horizon, if the earth is flat.

You might point out you can see Dover, England from France https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/France_manche_vue_dover.JPG

buy ask why can't you see things further away.

It needs to be long enough to show the ship disappearing over the horizon (maybe time lapse?). You might ask why there is a horizon, if the earth is flat.

You might point out you can see Dover, England from France https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/France_manche_vue_dover.JPG

buy ask why can't you see things further away.

Nice picture, just had a look at wiki

• For an observer standing on the ground with h = 1.70 metres (5 ft 7 in) (average eye-level height), the horizon is at a distance of 4.7 kilometres (2.9 mi).

if the channel is 33km wide should you then be able to see Dover in this detail?

just checked wiki,

• For an observer standing on a hill or tower of 100 metres (330 ft) in height, the horizon is at a distance of 36 kilometres (22 mi).

They do not seem to be in a 100metre tower or on a 330ft hill.

Edited by sunshaker

Since visual proof is being questioned, how about this? If the Earth was flat, the sun would be shining on everyone at the same time, or we'd all be in darkness if facing away. Simply call or text a friend in a different part of the world and ask them if it's night or day. If it's daytime for you, and nighttime for them, that refutes flat Earth.

Nice picture, just had a look at wiki

if the channel is 33km wide should you then be able to see Dover in this detail?

That's not what I would call a lot of detail, and the photographer is quite obviously not standing at sea level. Several meters above, plus the ~1.7m for eye level.

Since visual proof is being questioned, how about this? If the Earth was flat, the sun would be shining on everyone at the same time, or we'd all be in darkness if facing away. Simply call or text a friend in a different part of the world and ask them if it's night or day. If it's daytime for you, and nighttime for them, that refutes flat Earth.

Just of the top of my head, if earth was a disc like a record, you could shine a torch onto half a record and as the record turns it would go from dark to light to dark as the record turns.

Remember I am not putting forward a flat earth but just want to understand both sides for future discussions with my flat earth friend.

any nasa footage will not be believed by friend, so i need something more personal.

Edited by sunshaker

I thought I might try and find to local tall building at a certain distance apart and see if they where completely vertical to each other or slightly further apart a the top to the bottom, I am unsure of the distance apart they would have to be to get a measure ment to show curvature.

Just take you friend to a flat surface, and let him explain why he can't see beyond the horizon(remember he can see the moon/sun/stars, so distance is not a real issua)

Just of the top of my head, if earth was a disc like a record, you could shine a torch onto half a record and as the record turns it would go from dark to light to dark as the record turns.

So does your friend also claim the sun can be specifically focused on a particular part of the flat Earth, like a torch? Is the sun flat too, or does it just have a tight beam angle?

When I'm lighting a retail store, I can use a spotlight with a 25 degree beam angle to give the effect you describe. How does the sun do this? Does your friend also believe the sun and moon are the same size?

good vid, I expect it is real, but wonder I why the sails are not down on a sail ship?

Any number of reasons. Sea is too choppy, wind too heavy or light, or from the wrong direction, so they're running on engines.

I'm going to bet your friend mentions sailing masts that retract like old automobile antennae.

Any answers on the sun's beam angle?

Remember I am not putting forward a flat earth but just want to understand both sides for future discussions with my flat earth friend.

You mean something like this:

flatearth1.jpg

Here the yellow dot is the Sun, which somehow only shines on the lit portion of the disk (directed light?). This model suffers from a number of problems.

1. You can't make the angle of the Sun above the horizon at noon at different latitudes match what is actually measured. There would be just 1 latitude where you could get the results to match and they would diverge at other latitudes, ( the particular height I gave the Sun here is one that would match the measurements made by Eratosthenes.)

2. The Sun wold never be seen to set on the horizon. It would appear at some angle in the sky, travel across it to another point then vanish. ( with the model I drew, the Sun would appear and disappear some while it was still some 26 degree above the horizon as seen from the Equator).

3. For the Sun to show the angle differences at different altitudes to the same magnitude as we measure them as per point 1. The Sun's height above the Earth disk would have to be low enough that there would be a noticeable difference in its apparent size over the course of the daylight hrs. At the Equator, this works out to the Sun being about twice as large in the Sky at noon then it is at nightfall. (This is in conflict with what we actually see).

The gist of all this is that there is no way to make a Flat Earth model that matches what we really see happening. But I'm going to add my voice to the others here who say that your are likely wasting your time trying to convince your friend otherwise. Anyone who in this day and age honestly believes in a flat Earth will be immune to any logic or evidence that you can produce. It seems to be always the case that more more bizarre and "out there" the belief is, the more entrenched it is.

Ask your friend why all the airlines are in on the act, and how?

If you look at a globe and check out the advertised flight times between cities they all tally up with the distances (you have to average a return flight because of things like the jet stream).

That simply wouldn't work unless the planet were really the same shape as the globe.