How to do a study at a hospital

Chriss

First, what country are you doing the study in? If in the UK I can help a lot, if outside I may be able to help a bit.

Also, a more complete description of the study you a planning would be helpful.

Edited by Prometheus

I want to do a study of medical records...

How do i get permision for it ? (I am not a doctor)

With the poor information you've given us, the only answer is, you can't. Considering the laws regarding medical information privacy, I'm a bit surprised you could even ask this without a great deal of qualification.

People have written books, some very big books, on the subject. If you give specifics we may be able to help, but to give a general overview you are better off reading around the subject yourself online or get a book.

The term 'non-CTIMP study' (controlled trial of investigational medicinal product) might be helpful.

For books just google medical research as a start then refine your search as needed.

Good luck.

Ah, it's astrology... I don't think I can help.

Edited by Prometheus

I want to do a study of medical records...

How do i get permision for it ? (I am not a doctor)

You could volunteer in medical records you do have to sign a non-disclosure agreement though. Contrary to popular belief medical records in the uk are not actually stored on computers very long they are just printed off and stored in a records room. I worked in one once.

You could volunteer in medical records you do have to sign a non-disclosure agreement though. Contrary to popular belief medical records in the uk are not actually stored on computers very long they are just printed off and stored in a records room. I worked in one once.

It would be illegal to use your access to those records to do a study. (Certainly in Europe, and I would hope in most places.)

It would be illegal to use your access to those records to do a study. (Certainly in Europe, and I would hope in most places.)

Of course you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you are allowed go anywhere near them. However I can't imagine there would be a problem in say figuring out how many people presented to hospital as car crash victims in a given year.

Of course you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement before you are allowed go anywhere near them. However I can't imagine there would be a problem in say figuring out how many people presented to hospital as car crash victims in a given year.

It would be easy enough to find that out.

it would be illegal to make any use of that information.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

maybe you can find an internship in the area you live. what do you want to study? sometimes there are jobs that have acsess(don't know how to spell that word) to records like secretary if that will be enough for you work on qualifying for thoes. what kind of records do you want to study? is it something you are going to publish? sorry I may be no help.if you tell me what area you are located in i may be able to look something up.

Ok so my research experience is in Australia and the US -

No one will give you access to medical records in a developed nation without an institutional review board (IRB) certification. The reason being at anyone who hold medical records, is bound by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) or similar (e.g. EHCR, HREC, etc) to protect doctor/patient confidentiality.

Therefore to access medical records you'll need:

a) an affiliation with a recognized research organization - like a university or hospital, that has an IRB to give you a certification. This is so that you are accountable to a review board if you breach confidentiality. Punishments can range from expulsion from the organisation up to and including referral to a judicial organization that can sentence you to jail time. This is to ensure you are accountable for the responsible handling of whatever sensitive information you have access to.

b) Approval from your organization's IRB. You'll need to adhere to whatever organization you are a member of's regulations, but they'll typically want to ensure that your study requires private medical records, that the exposure of those records will be limited to approved researchers, that the research is valid, and that the records will be disposed of appropriately.

Basically, to access medical records, you'll need to prove you're accountable to a review board, your research necessitates access to patient records, and that your research is valid.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...