£400 Budget Gaming PC build

wanghankun

CPU: AMD FX-8350 eight core

GPU: GeForce GTX 760

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Mem:Crucial Ballistix sport single 8gb

Mother board: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

powersupply: Diablotek DA Series 600-Watt ATX Power Supply PSDA600

Case: Some random case my dad bought few years ago.

The price is £411 VAT included.

What do you guys think about this build?

Edited by wanghankun

Won't work your graphics card uses PCIe 3.0 your motherboard supports PCIe 2.0

Also your power supply supplies 600W the maximum recommended power supply for your graphics card is 500W

Edited by fiveworlds

Also your power supply supplies 600W the maximum recommended power supply for your graphics card is 500W

Devices draw power, it is not forced on them, so it can't be too much... assuming other parameters are the same. Too much is better than too little.

Devices draw power, it is not forced on them, so it can't be too much... assuming other parameters are the same. Too much is better than too little.

The graphics card still won't work on that motherboard though because they use different PCIe specs

Yes, I'm not querying that. I'm not up on current standards and backward compatibilities.

You don't really need to be up to them because their websites tell you what PCIe versions they have used really it is the size of the slot etc the PCIe 3.0 will not fit in a PCIe 2.0 slot

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/specifications/

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)

2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

2 x PCI

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications

PCI Express 3.0

There are someone that suggested the powersupply is junk, should I buy better power supplies?

Bad powersupplys can have an effect on the stable use of your monitor I know I had to replace my own powersupply recently before it wen't completely ie.not turn on it used to give me out of range errors on my monitor. However my power supply at the moment was less than 30£. If I were to spend my money on something to do with power it would be surge protection. A surge protected extension lead is 4-8£. Some people have a battery as well which allows the computer to turn off if the power goes.

Edited by fiveworlds

There are someone that suggested the powersupply is junk, should I buy better power supplies?

Not junk, but could be too few for some CPUs, GFX etc.

That depends on many factors.

You need to count power needed by all elements first.

Also whether monitor will use built-in computer power supply, or not.

I have not seen shared power supply for computer and monitor for years.

The all my monitors have separate power supply.

LED monitors don't take much, 25-40 W. Obsolete CRT certainly more.

But if you're running on margin, such 40 W could be crucial.

Comparison of CRT vs LED power consumption:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lcd-backlight-led-cfl,2683.html

Personally I have 500 W (less than mentioned by you).

According to GeForce

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760/specifications

"Graphics Card Power (W) 170 W"

"Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 500 W"

IMHO 600 W should be enough. Unless you will have monitor(s) also connected to shared power supply.

Edited by Sensei

Cheap power supplies have bad voltage regulators. If you have voltage-sensitive parts, those could be damaged by being under or overpowered.

Which is why you use surge sockets to compensate for this. Also most computers in the uk run on grounded 3-pin plugs

Someone has recommended this XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply to me, is it better?

Well yeah it is 550 watts and has all the connectors you need unless you need another 6 pin for anything

Edited by fiveworlds

I meant voltage regulators to the components themselves. I have seen bad power supplies fluctuate between 12.50 and 11.50V under load while a better brand fluctuated between 12.05 and 11.95V under load.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out NewEgg.com they have good reviews and ratings on PC components.

You might want to dial back the CPU and get a FASTER harddrive, that could easily become your biggest bottle neck.

• 2 weeks later...

PCIe 3 cards will work on PCIe 2 MoBos, but at PCIe 2 speeds.

This is not a problem because the standard is much faster than what the video card actually needs and so, no performance degradation will be noted.

A big problem is your 1 stick of memory, operating in single channel mode. Buy another 8 GB or trade it for two 4s,.

The 8 core AMD processor is core overkill as you won't be using more than two cores for games.

A better bet would be an Intel i5, since its single core performance outclasses the performance of the AMD core.

Also ditch the rotating platter hard drive for a fast SSD, and relegate the ! terabyte for data storage.