Base 256 character set, and "Base Byte" numbering system.

tar

Ed Earl,

Good. You should probably put the variable intonation first though, so the listener would know immediately how many more syllables were coming, and what place the first character is holding.

A system that had 7 tonal characteristics that could be considered increasing, with no tonal signal meaning 256 to the zero spot, and the highest tonal signal meaning the 256 to the 7 spot.

So with an 8 syllable word. You could pronounce any of 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 unique numbers.

That is enough numbers and unique words to give each man woman and child on the planet about two billion of their own private 8 syllable words. (if there were to be any need for a person to have their own number)

Of course IP V4 is already around, so we do not need to replace it. But should the need arise...

Regards, TAR

or should a language need many words to describe each member in a particular set of entities, like organic componds, or genes or stars or galaxies or whatever, there would be a standard, non arbitrary system, that could be conventionalized to suit the need.

And each star would have its name, with information concerning its galaxy and section of the galaxy and all built right in. You just say the name of the star, and you know all the information the conventional naming system has built into it.

You know, that star that is in the Milky Way, in the 11th section, in the 335th position within the section, that is so and so many lys from the center of the galaxy and so and so many lys from the Earth, that this type of star, with this much mass, and this number of planets, and this rotational period, and this angular velocity...

Oh, that one. Yes, I have heard of that one. My sister bought that one, at the star registry and named it George.

Doubling, or halving are powerful things, when repeated.

Remember the old story where the victor gives the vanquished the choice of either paying 100 gold pieces or placing one grain of wheat on the first square of the chessboard, two on the 2nd, 4 on the 3rd, and so and so, doubling the amount of grains on each square until the squares were accounted for. The vanquished quickly picked the wheat payment, not realizing he had just promised to pay, more wheat than there was in the kingdom.

• 2 months later...

Tar,

I have been working on this since the 90s Been calling it digital star, Have you looked at how to multiply and add? When you add overlap two numbers where two line are together rotate one place. When you multiply each line of your multiplier will cause a rotation of the other figure such as with 3*6 take the three symbol rotate one setting for the 2's place then rotate the symbol twice for the 4's place overlap the two symbols to add them together and it comes out to 18. The rule of rotation is rotate the number of clicks based on the power of 2 so 1=2^0 no click, 2^1 = 2 clicks. 4= 2^2 = 2 clicks 8= 2^3 = 3 clicks. I congratulate you though on finding a forum faster than I. I never could get any interest going.

Thaytor,

I had noticed the easy rotational multiplication. But it seems you have the mechanics worked out. I suppose you have noticed that it works well to the right of the decimal point, or should I say the base byte point, as rotating a symbol counter clockwise one click divides it in half, and a symbol including the first arm, or one, would become a half by shifting it over as the 128 arm of the 1/256 meaning position, or 128 1/256ths.

But alas we need to establish conventions, and write some programs that would display and manipulate the symbols, so it can be used.

My main problem, in forwarding the use of the digital star is that I want to use it for other things other than numbers. And this would cause confusion as to when the thing was representing shorthand metadata with colored arms and when it was supposed to be a number, for instance.

Also positional conventions would have to be established and such things are best done from the beginning.

And as we have discussed here, since rotation so easily changes the value, it is mandatory that the center point of the character creates an unambiguous up and right, so that backward characters, as in posted on a window, could be instantly recognized for what they are.

Regards, TAR

Edited by tar

Tar,

An additional dot to right of the 1's place is what I had been using. Also another point if you add an additional 8 lines you get a base 65536. The step out would be 2^9 the line between 1-2 and clockwise from there this is still fairly easily readable but you have 16 addresses to memorize instead of 8 but the added value of a single symbol rather than breaking to 2 I think supersedes. As for written visual nonnumber an additional dot could be added so that number is single dot to the right of top center for metadata two dots.

D3Gftd6.pngThaytor

Thaytor,

Three points.

I don't think adding lines would be helpful. Positional wise, another 8 arm max character to the left would have that 256 times 256 value, just like the 1 in 10 means 10 times more.

I don't believe the outside lines in the digital star are required. You can completely drop them, and have the same meaning as when they are there.

The dot might work, except your first arm is in the 12 o'clock position whereas that is my 128 arm. My unit arm is in the 1 thirty position and the values double around clockwise.

Regards, TAR

14WAdKY.png

The outer ring was to show the 65535 number I am showing the examples the next two orders from 256 so that / is 1 rather than |. part of the reason why I am suggesting the base 65536 is that in manufacturing and with robotics a need of 16 to 32 parts activating in some combination with each part needing a unique Identifier this allows for showing that information and will tell you quickly the number of possible active combinations.

Thaytor,

Oh,that is the next character added to the first. I see.

But if you just put another simple character to the left you can say the same numbers in two characters, instead of a complex one. Plus if you need an even bigger number, you just add a third character to the left. Plus between the dot and the disjointed outer rim and the center point, it looks like three characters. Certain numbers would be disjointed outer marks combined with inner marks, and one could not easily call it one character.

I am leaning toward a center mark that shows direction rather than the dot. And am looking to keep the character itself a binary string wrapped around a center point, without further complication.

Regards, TAR