Biochemistry job position

dawayoflifz

Hi I am a rising senior attending Wheaton College. Throughout the years I have had research positions in school as well as summer internships every summer. As I am gearing up for my final year being a 1st generation student I feel a bit overwhelmed on how to search for future employment following graduation. I would appreciate any type of advice of where I should look or how. Thank you!

Does the college have a careers service? If so they will be able to give you more specific advice for your degree and geographical location. Most of the job websites I know are Europe based and I only look for jobs in my sector.

Other places to look for information include the American Chemical Society and The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Maybe they have some job listings, but for sure they have some career advice.

I would hope you know of some relevant employers in your field by the time you graduate. Check their websites, as almost all companies/institutes/universities have "career" or "work for us" tabs on their websites where they list current vacancies.

There are specific websites too that will offer jobs on behalf of other companies. Depending on the field you want to be in, these may be good too, and may be advertised in the literature in your field. For example, I know of a few chemistry related job websites through the chemistry-related magazine that I receive every now and then.

Also, search engines are your friend. Enter some relevant key words (including location if necessary), and just click around. It will be tedious, and at times discouraging, but you may find some interesting vacancies that others didn't find yet.

Finally, and possibly the best idea, is to visit relevant job fairs. Universities sometimes will organize those themselves, to bring their students into contact with potential employers (also for internships). See if your school, or other schools in the same field organize one of those. Dress up, look smart, and go shake some hands with recruiters. It may be advisable to print out your resume so you can hand it to the recruiters.

It does sound like a lot of work... and it is. At least over here in Europe where I live, the job market is still suffering a little under the slow economy, and companies seem hesitant to hire new people. That just means you gotta work a little harder to find a job.

It does sound like a lot of work... and it is. At least over here in Europe where I live, the job market is still suffering a little under the slow economy, and companies seem hesitant to hire new people. That just means you gotta work a little harder to find a job.

Also the case overseas from what I see and hear. Having a direct contact goes a long way toward getting a job. And I agree, it hard work to get a job.