"Wind" turbines in a vacuum

Myuncle

Why they don't seal the turbines inside a vacuum? By watching this clip, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTt_hoWtMIc, is clear that a wheel would spin much longer inside a vacuum. So, let's say that you use a normal wind turbine (or solar panels) to activate 10 other turbines sealed in a vacuum. It would be like multiplying the energy. What do you think?

Why they don't seal the turbines inside a vacuum?

I think the clue is in the name: if they were in a vacuum, there would be no wind to make them turn.

So, let's say that you use a normal wind turbine (or solar panels) to activate 10 other turbines sealed in a vacuum. It would be like multiplying the energy. What do you think?

You mean use the electricity you generate to turn the wind turbines? That seems like a waste of electricity...

So, let's say that you use a normal wind turbine (or solar panels) to activate 10 other turbines sealed in a vacuum. It would be like multiplying the energy. What do you think?

You would take additional conversion and friction losses, lowering total energy output.

Instead of simply:

Mechanical to Electrical

you end up with:

Mechanical to Electrical to Mechanical to Electrical

You would take additional conversion and friction losses, lowering total energy output.

Instead of simply:

Mechanical to Electrical

you end up with:

Mechanical to Electrical to Mechanical to Electrical

If you end up with lowering the energy output, I can't argue with that. I was hoping it would be the opposite. I imagined turbines sealed in a vacuum, in a horizontal position, to lower the friction you could even put rollerblade wheels at the end of the blades. And also they could be placed underground. How much energy is required to spin them, if you can push them by hand, why not using a bit of electricity?

Edited by Myuncle

How much energy is required to spin them, if you can push them by hand, why not using a bit of electricity?

It is a rule that it requires more energy to turn them than you can get out.

TAANSTAFL

Or:

You can't win (first law of thermodynamics)

You can't break even (second law of thermodynamics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

If you end up with lowering the energy output, I can't argue with that. I was hoping it would be the opposite. I imagined turbines sealed in a vacuum, in a horizontal position, to lower the friction you could even put rollerblade wheels at the end of the blades. And also they could be placed underground. How much energy is required to spin them, if you can push them by hand, why not using a bit of electricity?

I think what you are thinking of is the generator portion.

You could seal that in a vacuum and it will work just fine. Main issues then become maintaining the vacuum while still operating the generator and getting rid of heat.

to lower the friction you could even put rollerblade wheels at the end of the blades.

Generators have indeed made use of roller and ball bearings.