The Alien Scientist

ZVBXRPL

An Alien Scientist lands in your back garden. You invite him in for a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits. Whilst having a discussion about science, he claims that the scientific theories you believe to be true are wrong.

What would your reaction be?

a) Accept that he is right.

b) Argue with him and take the biscuits away.

c) Knock the cup of tea out of his hands and throw him out

d) Invite friend/s around to take part in the discussion

I would [...] ask what empirical evidence could be brought to bear on the matter.

For me, being from a race that builds starships to travel vast distances through space (assuming "landing" to relate to something like that) and having the capability to speak alien (i.e. human) languages to a point where you can discuss about science would count as evidence that the person in question has relevant things to say.

We should have a forum rule that having built a functional insterstellar space ship exempts you from having to supply further evidence to speculation posts.

An Alien Scientist lands in your back garden. You invite him in for a cup of tea and a plate of biscuits. Whilst having a discussion about science, he claims that the scientific theories you believe to be true are wrong.

I think this possibility is virtually impossible. The Greeks came up with the idea that everything is made of atoms; although, the elements were fire, earth, air, and water; they got it partly right. That's often the case in science. Thus, I think your question is stated wrong. I expect we could learn much from a civilization that could travel among the stars, but they would say something like, "Your science is incomplete, and we have some things to share with you."

e) I would question what's in my tea and biscuits.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

I would do what I would do to anyone who claimed that - ask what empirical evidence could be brought to bear on the matter.

This is option b). I choose this also, along with option d).

You can't do a) EVER in this context. You must be skeptical until claims like this have support you can test against reality.

Option c) is unproductive, ill-mannered, and not representative of the rest of rational science. It also punishes me by breaking my nicest cup.

I would argue that he (or anyone) needs to support his assertions (as soon as the rest of you all show up), and only those who have evidence get a biscuit.

This is option b). I choose this also, along with option d).

You can't do a) EVER in this context. You must be skeptical until claims like this have support you can test against reality.

Option c) is unproductive, ill-mannered, and not representative of the rest of rational science. It also punishes me by breaking my nicest cup.

I would argue that he (or anyone) needs to support his assertions (as soon as the rest of you all show up), and only those who have evidence get a biscuit.

I watched my alien scientist grow gills when he stuck his head in a bucket of water; when can I expect my biscuit (I hope it’s a garibaldi ^_^)?

Edited by dimreepr

I watched my alien scientist grow gills when he stuck his head in a bucket of water; when can I expect my biscuit (I hope it’s a garibaldi ^_^)?

Does that support his assertion or yours?

And it IS a garibaldi, with lots of currants. We have Jammie Dodgers too, but only for those who don't get the floor wet.

Does that support his assertion or yours?

And it IS a garibaldi, with lots of currants. We have Jammie Dodgers too, but only for those who don't get the floor wet.

OK mine, mostly, but he did tell me of his brother’s attempts to communicate with us; my bad for assuming a connection.

I’ll settle for a jammy D BTW :) .

Ask for data and how to get it, replicate it, publish it. Also try to capture the alien and keep it away from cats.

First of all you should put this in the Puzzles area of the forum. What would I do I would invite friends to take part in the discussion.

There's no definitive right answer, so Puzzles would be the wrong place for it. But by all means, ask your friends to join in.

I would invite him /her/it , back to my place , where he/her/it would be safe ! Oops , we were already at my place!

" I have plenty of crockery, biscuits, and a dry change of clothes ! "

And an open mind . I think ?

Then I would say " Don't listen to these ' Jerks' , they will steal your biscuits , throw tea all over you, and leave you for dead . .... I am your man ! ... Come with me where we can have a nice quiet , dry , friendly , chat . "

Mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Then I would say " Don't listen to these ' Jerks' , they will steal your biscuits , throw tea all over you, and leave you for dead . .... I am your man ! ... Come with me where we can have a nice quiet , dry , friendly , chat . "

Sounds suspiciously like a trap to me...

For me, being from a race that builds starships to travel vast distances through space (assuming "landing" to relate to something like that) and having the capability to speak alien (i.e. human) languages to a point where you can discuss about science would count as evidence that the person in question has relevant things to say.

"Being from a race" doesn't necessarily mean one particular alien has that knowledge.

There is millions of airplane human travelers, and probably only 0.1% of them can describe correctly why airplane flies.

And probably 0.001% of these 0.1% would have enough knowledge how actually build flying airplane.

And still a caveman with an interest in science might be tempted to listen to what I have to say about our nuderstanding of chemistry and atoms.

Edited by timo

A caveman would probably learn a lot from listening to a former Resident Expert at SFN, but how much not relevant crap could he be fed if he would meet a random proponent from our Speculations section?

Edited by Spyman

I think our speculation posters could well compete with the average caveman when it comes to science (or writing, or oral hygiene, or knowing about the existence of such a thing as oral hygiene). Maybe not with the one who invented the use of fire (who may well be a senior expert of stone age oral hygiene). But surely with those who believe that the clan's hunters suppress the truth that mammoths and sabretooth tigers in reality are the same thing :rolleyes:.

EDIT: As a side-note: Those hunters probably know more about sabretooth tiger anatomy than all the biology experts on this forum. But that's no excuse to neglegt oral hygiene.

Edited by timo

Well yes, sure they could probably compete or even be considered superior in scientific knowledge and they could likely teach the caveman some useful stuff. But that was not the question, the question is if they can be trusted on everything they claim knowledge of.

Should we take their word for it and accept whatever thay say without questioning it, just because they step out from a fancy ride?

You seem to argue that anyone with "a functional interstellar spaceship" is all-knowing, infallible and only wants the best for us.

I think 'they' could be wrong about many things, make mistakes and even straight out lie to us if it would benefit them.

He's probably telling a joke and you should laugh politely if you don't get it.

Science can't be wrong because experiment reflects reality. Our understanding of experiment and how we extrapolate its results can be wrong, and I believe it is, but experiment itself and the observation that leads to it is "right".

Science can't be wrong because experiment reflects reality.

While that is a refreshing change from the common claims in Speculations that all science is wrong, it is obviously not true. Science is often wrong.

While that is a refreshing change from the common claims in Speculations that all science is wrong, it is obviously not true. Science is often wrong.

Perhaps I should have said "theory" can't be wrong. Of course this statement wouldn't have been strictly true either because theory can be incomplete, true only in limited applications, or misinterpreted.

It simply seemed easier to say science can't be wrong and leave each reader to fend for himself.

You sound like me now. Next you'll be saying language is confused and math can't be properly applied to reality. ;)

Edited by cladking

Perhaps I should have said "theory" can't be wrong.

I'm not sure how that is any different. Theories can be, and often are, wrong. If that weren't the case, then science would not make any progress.

Next you'll be saying language is confused and math can't be properly applied to reality.

I would never say anything so foolish.

Edited by Strange