Schweighofer prize?

mastercarrot

Hi,

I wonder what kind of project would be elegible for that prize. They write about "innovative products, which still may be in stage of implementation" so I´m not sure if you just have to send them a description of the idea or something else to show the product. May be photos or videos.

Has anyone participated in the competition?

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of this before - what exactly is it for, I must admit I had to google it to get a view - it concerns forestry and wooden sustainability, did I get that right.

Hmm, what kind of project? I think something recycable or at least something that invents a new use of a base material. Do you have soemthing special in mind?

I read about some projects such as Nordic Wooden Cities or the Tes Energy Facade. The first one was about supporting urban development with wooden structures in several nordic cities.
I wonder if they just sent a description of the project or started implementing new ideas first.

Ah cool thanx, better to watch before - hmm, hard to tell I think whenever you apply for a prize or an scholarship, of course there is maybe more than a draft needed, structured bases and descriptions maybe also like sketches and first tryouts - but maybe the projects also can get done afterwards, or in the process of getting done.

Thx for the link.

This is only my opinion but judging from the impressions of the winning products, teams and technologies I´d assume that those guys worked on the products/projects and materials and not only on the description.

It´s just an assumption but since some of the them were mixing materials they must have been working with those materials :)

Thx for the link.

This is only my opinion but judging from the impressions of the winning products, teams and technologies I´d assume that those guys worked on the products/projects and materials and not only on the description.

It´s just an assumption but since some of the them were mixing materials they must have been working with those materials :)

Yes, I think the entrants are working in some capacity in the industry.

I think it would also be quite interesting to see how many projects apply and also the ones which didn't win the actual prizes, as there are many as I can see - but anyway, i think a lot of new inspirations can be found on this.

Who is the actual winner of the prize, does anybody know by now?

I´ve read about some awarded projects but it would be interesting to read about the winners this year.

What do you think about the glued-in perforated steel plates? That connection method seems to offer new possibilities for wood construction such as the floating staircase at the university of Vancouver.

It looks like a "free-floating" staircase! That seems like a pretty original idea.

As I could find out, there is this Austrian company and its boss, Wiesner and he won the prize this year, the main prize, and for the evolving and long-term securing his company i this sustainable business - as I could unterstand.

Free floating staricase - a cool thing. Yes, there is always so much more then we can imagine and also as i like design, there is so much more to see and surround yourself.

Hey guys, I heard about this prize! It's super interesting. Isn't it called Schweighofer Prize because it is funded by a family called Schweighofer? Free floating staircase sounds awesome too, not quite sure how that would work though :P So Wiesner is the name of the person who won this year's prize right? I had a look at their website and all the winners were updated there if anyone wants to read more about it.

Nah it's awarded every two years according to their website. It is a monetary prize but also a title / an honour I guess which will help your team or company to flourish for sure, so worth quite a bit. But there is definitely some money involved, dont know the exact amount though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, lets still watch the schweighofer prizes homepage a bit, I Think they will send out soon more infos, also when to apply for a project and also with what standards. As this is also of importance. And have a look at past projects helps you evaluate if yours is the same level maybe.

They have updated it now actually - it's all up for download, in a Pdf if I'm not mistaken (need to check exactly though!). And pictures of the vent can be found here: http://pictures.schweighofer-prize.org/thumbnails.php?album=2Ok found it, it's indeed a pdf and can be downloaded here: https://ssl.schweighofer-prize.org/press/

I think since they just had their prize awarding ceremony that it will be a while before they send out information about the next prize. Odds are though that the criteria and requirements won't change much, if anyone wanted to apply for it here.

Ok, lets still watch the schweighofer prizes homepage a bit, I Think they will send out soon more infos, also when to apply for a project and also with what standards. As this is also of importance. And have a look at past projects helps you evaluate if yours is the same level maybe.

Yeah, that would be a good orientation point. In case of doubt about the application you can also ask them directly I guess.

Edited by mastercarrot

Yes that's a good point. In any case, lots of time until the next one, so also enough time to inform yourselves and ask questions. The organisers' postal address and e-mail addresses in also on the website from what I've seen. But I understand that anyone interested might prefer to ask on a forum first - when I apply for something that I really want to get, I get quite worried about embarrassing myself by asking the advertiser / organiser silly questions :P Of course it's the best way to be sure you got all the instructions right, but there you have it. We don't always make total sense :P So totally understandable for me to ask here first :)

Haha - thats always the point - yes, make yourself understandable and of course be prepared, and of course everything in life is about sharing and all that. By the way, they have a lot of interesting projects as I could understand now, it is also on a very international level.