I would like to know what it is I see

klanger

Hi there

Just wanting to know what the tiny lights are that I see during daylight hours, not looking up at the sun or anything, but they zoom around right before my eyes without interfering with my vision. If I allow my gaze to become unfocused they appear more brilliantly and are really quite pretty. I am not a science person so layman terms would be great

Thanks in advance

thanks peeps, but I dont think floaters are what I see, I have a floater in my left eye, caused by lol trying to makes my eyes point in opposite directions at the same time, hehehe my theory being that if I can go bosseyed then why cant I make them go the other way, I felt a slight rip in the eye and bingo there I had large as life what appeared to be a worm floating around (made up of tiny roundish/hexagonald clear cells with a tiny black spot in the centre of each one) it took quite a while for my brain to stop seeing this. The lights that I refered to before arnt like this floater, and are infact something I have seen since I was a little girl, so breakdown of cells in the lining of the eye I dont think applies. I just wondered if I was seeing some kind of insect that people just dont normally see, I think they are tiny pin points but leave a tiny streak of lights behind them as they move, much like a laser light when stared at too long will leave you with the impression of it still being there, does any of that make sence?

its not blood pressure or anything within my eyes, as I can follow them, anything floating in the eye is very hard to follow as it moves in the same direction as the eye itself. My blood pressure is fine. but to do 20 push-ups and then stand up rapidly wont make you see stars it will make you black out. I appologise for bringing this question to this site, but I felt for sure that a science forum would have perhaps a scientific reason for this rather than assume a medical one.

I appologise for bringing this question to this site, but I felt for sure that a science forum would have perhaps a scientific reason for this rather than assume a medical one.

Since not everyone has the condition it is more likely linked to a medical condition. Have you had LASIK surgery? This article says that people often "see stars" afterwards:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/01/020115074604.htm

It also says it may have to do with the initial shape of your cornea. People with more flattened corneas are more likely to see them.

Other explanations for "seeing stars" from UCSD:

http://physicalsciences.ucsd.edu/news_events/QA/qa_072104.htm

We've already covered the first 2 instances. Read the last one I've put in bold.

QUESTION: I've always wanted to know what exactly is causing the sensation of seeing stars. Today I had finished swimming laps and was lying in the sun. As I opened my eyes, about to get up, I saw the intermittent small white dots buzzing around for about 30 seconds. My best guess is that it has something to do with oxygen. Can you shed some light on this for me?

– Mike Dolan

ANSWER: There are at least three possible reasons for seeing stars. Sylvester the cat saw stars when Granny walloped him over the head for trying to eat Tweety Bird. A blow to the head can cause the vitreous fluid that fills the back two-thirds of the eyeball to rub against the retina. In fact, as we age, the vitreous fluid becomes thicker and can push or pull on the retina even with more modest movements of the head.

"The retina does not feel pain – it only responds by sending some form of light signal," says Dr. David Granet, professor of ophthalmology at UCSD. "So certain types of exertion stimulate the retina and cause the "stars."

"Of course a shower of stars, flashing light or a curtain on vision are all potential warning signs of retinal detachment and should be of concern."

Injury to the retina should be treated immediately to minimize further tearing and bleeding into the eye. If the damage is not too extensive, retinas can be repaired with a laser on an outpatient basis.

Another reason for seeing stars is small clumps of gel that form in the vitreous fluid. These "floaters" cast a shadow on the retina when they pass in

front of it, and are most obvious when you are looking at a plain background.

The third reason for seeing stars has to do with levels of oxygen and/or nutrients reaching the brain. According to Dr. Joseph Scherger, family medicine physician at UCSD Healthcare, "The brain, including vision, runs on glucose, oxygen, a balance of electrolytes and ample circulation/blood pressure. One might have visual changes, like 'stars,' if any of these are low."

PS: You shouldn't take answers here "for gospel" - some people here are scientists, some are students, and some, like me, are just interested in science but at fair at researching a question to find an answer I don't know.

I think you should see an opthomologist or neurologist. It may be nothing - there's a chance something is seriously wrong.

thanks coquina for your reply, I have never had my eyes operated on, and get thorough tests done at the opticians regularly including the test for gloccoma, my blood pressure is exactly as it should be so no cause for concern there either. I cant be sure of what people mean by 'seeing stars', if this is infact refering to the same thing you see in the night sky, then this also is not what I can see. Someone once told me that they thought I was seeing the electrolites, whether this is internally within the eye or externally in the emmediate space before my eyes I do not know. I have only just remembered what the word was that they said as a direct result of the quote you pasted here for me, so once again thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

hi..

i've seen little 'specks' of dust on my eye-lens ever since i was small. i also see what i think is the lens; it's a little white see-tru round, and when i look at it, it shoots away a bit, so i can 'hunt' it down my eye-lens. I can see these best against white clouds.

looking at clouds i can also see 'shooting' dots weaving in and out of the clouds.

Combined with possibility of focusing and unfocusing my eyesight (sharp/unsharp), I had quite a lot of innocent fun as a child.

I wonder though if anyone else experiences this too and if there is a possibility of 'cleaning up the dust' from my eyelens..

sometimes it is starting to bug me these days..

ciao, Nicky