How old are atoms??

Hi, I was just wondering if it is possible for an atom to die. eg If you had a hydrogen atom isolated somewhere on its own, say a vacuum box or something, would it stay in there with the same state forever or will it disappear?

Also, with bigger attoms, will they break down to simpler atoms over time?

Sorry if this is to basic but my knowledge of matter is limited :)

Thanks

Hi' date=' I was just wondering if it is possible for an atom to die. eg If you had a hydrogen atom isolated somewhere on its own, say a vacuum box or something, would it stay in there with the same state forever or will it disappear?

Also, with bigger attoms, will they break down to simpler atoms over time?

Sorry if this is to basic but my knowledge of matter is limited :)

Thanks[/quote']

Some atoms do break down - these are called radioactive atoms, and they change until they are no longer radioactive. Atoms bigger than lead (>82 protons) are all unstable. It is also possible for nuclei to fuse together, which is what happens in stars; this happens most often with light nuclei, like hydrogen and helium.

Protons, which are hydrogen nuclei, are thought to be stable, or if they are unstable, they have a really long half life - many times the age of the universe.

Protons, which are hydrogen nuclei, are thought to be stable, or if they are unstable, they have a really long half life - many times the age of the universe.

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I have a question: becuase nuclear decay is governed by probability, could there be a slight (and this may be a very tiny number) chance that one could witness (under certain lab conditions) the natural decay of a H atom, if the latter part of your statement is true?

That's an interesting way to look at it.

I have a question: becuase nuclear decay is governed by probability' date=' could there be a slight (and this may be a very tiny number) chance that one could witness (under certain lab conditions) the natural decay of a H atom, if the latter part of your statement is true?[/quote']

Yes. People do look for it.

So it'd just decay to a little neutron, and the electron would just fly off?

That wasn't one of the decay channels listed. A neutron is more massive than a proton, so you have a problem with conserving energy.