Giving out medical advice on an online forum (split from, 'children hitting themselves.')

Lady Lassa

Psychology isn't my favorite science, but there exists a measure called Borderline Pathology of Childhood (BPC). I know not whether self-harming behavior is part of that measure, nor the measure's relationship to adult borderline.

Molestation in childhood appears to be one cause of borderline pathology in adulthood.

Thank you for posting links to actual information. I created a thread a while ago that received the generalized "Go talk to your doc." responses :doh:, I mean I wouldn't have asked for information elsewhere if my doctors where more informative. Or on the other hand maybe I wanted to be more informed before I talk to my doctors.

Anyway thank you for helpful information, I wish more people would had out tools instead of advice (unless it's advice with tools... BONUS!) :P

Anyway thank you for helpful information, I wish more people would had out tools instead of advice (unless it's advice with tools... BONUS!) :P

This perspective is unfortunate. It's ignorant advice we want to avoid. We do hand out tools, and the best of those tools for medical questions is... go talk to your doc.

Thank you for posting links to actual information. I created a thread a while ago that received the generalized "Go talk to your doc." responses :doh:, I mean I wouldn't have asked for information elsewhere if my doctors where more informative. Or on the other hand maybe I wanted to be more informed before I talk to my doctors.

AFAIK there aren't any medical doctors on here and even reputable online doctors elsewhere usually put out a disclaimer that their advice is not a proper substitue for a face-to-face with one. If you want general information to start looking for specific information then your national medical authoritys' website can be a good start.

The American National Institutes of Heath (NIH) is pretty informative and great for medical research papers. The UKs NHS site can get you started as well. Going to reputable sources as starting points for information like those is much better than asking places like here. What I do, when I want to learn about something, is first find where the authorities on that subject hangout and then follow that trail that they point to. The thing about sites like those two is they know how and what to present to their general online visitors, in a way that is generally digestible and, above all, responsible. It's all about finding sound sources.

Edited by StringJunky

Sorry I didn't mean to lead anyone astray or to offend. What if someone was studying to be a doctor, they would also need knowledge everywhere and anywhere they can get it (good and bad), so lets not filter information let's keep it raw and easily available that's why it's awesome to post links.

I'm the type of person that believes all information is precious and needed, it's up to the individual how to use it.

I would very much hope that student doctors don't just get there information anywhere; they would likely follow the same path I described earlier. If there is any threat to safety from inappropriate information the admin are ethically bound to avoid it. Don't forget, a fair few of the people on here are working scientists and pursue high standards of safe and ethical conduct and it's going to apply to areas that are not part of their expertise but they know wrong and foolhardy when they see it.

Edited by StringJunky

Sorry I didn't mean to lead anyone astray or to offend. What if someone was studying to be a doctor, they would also need knowledge everywhere and anywhere they can get it (good and bad), so lets not filter information let's keep it raw and easily available that's why it's awesome to post links.

I'm the type of person that believes all information is precious and needed, it's up to the individual how to use it.

Except... you're leaving it up to an individual to decide whether information is good or bad about the subject they are, by definition, ignorant about. I don't know medicine, and I don't think I'd be very good at deciding which of five conflicting explanations was consistent with mainstream medical knowledge.

Bad knowledge (aka "guesswork") shouldn't be passed along to people who want to know something. In science, it's about trusting the knowledge you get, and when you can't check it yourself, you go to a trusted professional. You don't want someone who is still studying to be worthy of trust. Not in medicine, not when harm might come of it.

This is very sad I was hoping to find people who like to brainstorm, discuss, or hash out ideas using proof they find. It's basically free college not only that but a path to higher intelligence. I completely understand what you are all saying though. I would never tell anyone that orange juice cures cancer and post a link to some crazy secluded hippies page that has no weight to it. What I would do is post something that has been studied, peer reviewed, or hashed out and credited by multiple respected professionals.

btw I've never seen, read, or heard anything about orange juice curing cancer.

I really am sorry for frustrating the higher-ups. As far as me personally, I will keep my mouth (posting relevant info I find) and my mind (looking for relevant info to post) shut like other mindless and suppressed individuals.

I really am sorry for frustrating the higher-ups. As far as me personally, I will keep my mouth (posting relevant info I find) and my mind (looking for relevant info to post) shut like other mindless and suppressed individuals.

i'm not sure i understand. do you think that it would help your situation out more to have "educated guesses" from people doing what amounts to quick google and database searches, or "educated guesses" from people who actually work in the field which deals with your situation (whatever that may be)?

There are two basic reasons people seek medical advice on the internet.

1. They think they may be sick/afflicted with some condition.

2. They want more information about a condition they either have, or know someone who does.

On scenario #1, the internet is the absolute worst place to try and get accurate information. Symptoms of various medical conditions can often overlap, and self diagnosis is playing with fire. I honestly wish WebMD had never created their stupid symptom checker.

If you plug in fever (99-101), chills and cough you get everything from the common flu to Meningitis. Oh and Anthrax inhalation. :blink:

However, I use scenario #2 quite frequently. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and given pills for it. I wanted to know if there were more effective treatments, and what the effects of the condition were, so I read up on it. In this case, the internet (using reputable sources), saves me time spent at the doctors office, or trying to hunt down the information in a library somewhere, and it lets better arm myself with directed questions for my doctor when I see him next.

And in the second case it is about fact-finding about a known condition, rather than trying to remote-diagnose and bouncing off random ideas. It already starts with a medical diagnosis and getting sources about what it entails is much more straightforward and helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, normally when I leave a forum I never look back. But I did have hope that a science forum would be based upon the pursuit of, well, science (and generally these people love and retain information). So I succoumbed to curiosity and returned. My deal was not limited to medical advice my deal was the suppression of information by what I'm not sure really, I think fear or ignorance. So here's my clarity...

andrewcellini, on 30 Apr 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

i'm not sure i understand. do you think that it would help your situation out more to have "educated guesses" from people doing what amounts to quick google and database searches, or "educated guesses" from people who actually work in the field which deals with your situation (whatever that may be)?

Both would've been awesome, but I like to read peer reviewed, challenged studies. Yes I am boring I actually get a buzz from a paper written in the scientific method formula, lol. I don't consider advice just from mouth, I need stuff to back it up especially when I don't know something for sure.

Edited by Lady Lassa

Ugh, normally when I leave a forum I never look back. But I did have hope that a science forum would be based upon the pursuit of, well, science (and generally these people love and retain information). So I succoumbed to curiosity and returned. My deal was not limited to medical advice my deal was the suppression of information by what I'm not sure really, I think fear or ignorance. So here's my clarity...

andrewcellini, on 30 Apr 2015 - 12:35 AM, said:

Both would've been awesome, but I like to read peer reviewed, challenged studies. Yes I am boring I actually get a buzz from a paper written in the scientific method formula, lol. I don't consider advice just from mouth, I need stuff to back it up especially when I don't know something for sure.

From a science forum, don't seek advice, seek information.

There are two basic reasons people seek medical advice on the internet.

1. They think they may be sick/afflicted with some condition.

2. They want more information about a condition they either have, or know someone who does.

On scenario #1, the internet is the absolute worst place to try and get accurate information. Symptoms of various medical conditions can often overlap, and self diagnosis is playing with fire. I honestly wish WebMD had never created their stupid symptom checker.

If you plug in fever (99-101), chills and cough you get everything from the common flu to Meningitis. Oh and Anthrax inhalation. :blink:

However, I use scenario #2 quite frequently. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and given pills for it. I wanted to know if there were more effective treatments, and what the effects of the condition were, so I read up on it. In this case, the internet (using reputable sources), saves me time spent at the doctors office, or trying to hunt down the information in a library somewhere, and it lets better arm myself with directed questions for my doctor when I see him next.

This fits my situation better. I am just like you here I use scenario #2 almost all the time. You know it took me 8 months of research to find a suitable crib matress? I have a thinking problem, I do it too much.

I am with you about webMDs symptom checker but it was designed for the point and click, instant gratification type of people.

On another note, I actually opened my doctors eyes to a problem and diagnosis by bringing in a peer reveiwed paper I found and printed from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/.

From a science forum, don't seek advice, seek information.

Thats exactly what I wanted and was misunderstood. I even said that in an earlier post, but someone shot me down.

That's good, then. Consequently recommend that it's time to use this moment to update approach/style to align with that desire. Let's seek information. Let's recognize that medical advise online is a bad idea. Let's talk about interesting topics more objectively, get over the sour grapes, and collectively move forward. Agreed?

That's good, then. Consequently recommend that it's time to use this moment to update approach/style to align with that desire. Let's seek information. Let's recognize that medical advise online is a bad idea. Let's talk about interesting topics more objectively, get over the sour grapes, and collectively move forward. Agreed?

Agreed... how frustrating... all this nonscence for what I originally wanted and was crucified for wanting.

Try not to take things too personally. Science is a very rough and tumble sport and that can be par for the course here. With only very few exceptions, it makes us all better. :)

peerreview1.jpg

Try not to take things too personally. Science is a very rough and tumble sport and that can be par for the course here. With only very few exceptions, it makes us all better. :)

peerreview1.jpg

Thank you I'll try. Great pic by the way very true.

• 3 years later...

On the original question: a child's hitting his head has been shown to be autism related, in many cases. My son is being evaluated for ADHD, autism spectrum disorder and sensory issues. Many of these conditions do overlap. His doctor gave us this information. Hitting the head does not necessarily indicate mental illness or the intention of self harm. Telling a child that it is "bad " to hit himself often  makes him think that he is bad, so I avoid that and just practice, practice, practice more appropriate and satisfying ways to express frustration/anger.