In the fashion world...

Externet

I always thought that the tie is supposed to go all the way down and cover the belt buckle. I'm pretty sure Mr. Castro's tie is a bit too short and can't say about Obama's tie since he's not sitting straight up.

That seems about right, apparently.

As a general rule for all tie knots, the widest part of your tie should hang roughly at the same height as the upper edge of your leather belt, with the tie's tip extending slightly below it. The tip of the narrow end would then hang wherever it may.

http://www.tie-a-tie.net/length.html

The mood is no tie at all

Almost the entire Greek cabinet appointed last week has adopted the fashion style of 40-year-old Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, who steadfastly refuses to wear a tie, even while donning a suit.

European Parliament head Martin Schulz playfully waggled Tsipras' open collar as the newly sworn-in premier greeted his first foreign dignitary last week.

French Finance Minister Michel Sapin made a similar gesture in Paris over the weekend, smiling as he took hold of the broad-striped scarf worn by Greece's European Financial Relations Alternate Minister Euclid Tsakalotos and wrapped it across his neck and over his shoulder.

Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi went a step further Tuesday night, giving Tsipras an Italian tie to wear when Greece finally emerges from its protracted financial crisis — after Tsipras had reportedly said before the elections that he'd wear one if Greece reached a debt reduction agreement.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/feb/04/give-the-man-a-tie-new-greek-govt-shakes-up/

c88d35f07cf11b056d0f6a706700ad68_t730.JP

-------------------------

Anyway this is all wrong.

You don't make a judgment on someone on the basis of his tie but on his shoes.

Edited by michel123456

A suit without a tie is like chips without tomato sauce.

I.e. a good idea.

Fun fact: Prince Claus of the Netherlands (1926-2002) famously took off his tie and spoke the words:

Tie wearers of all nations unite

Cast off the rope that binds you. Risk your neck.

Liberate yourself and venture forth into open collar paradise.

Youtube of that speech is found here.

I.e. a good idea.

That remark brought to you by the part of the world that puts mayonnaise on their chips

Fun fact: Prince Claus of the Netherlands (1926-2002) famously took off his tie and spoke the words:

Tie wearers of all nations unite

Cast off the rope that binds you. Risk your neck.

Liberate yourself and venture forth into open collar paradise.

Youtube of that speech is found here.

Suit and tie or casual - but suit with open necked shirt is just naff.

As for String quoting a style guide about tie length being judged by your leather belt - Oscar Wilde had it right when he said clothes should hang from the shoulders not the waist; braces are best. But the length given is about right - but it should be judged to the waistband of the trousers not to a belt. All complete bollox of course - wear what you feel most yourself in (trad suits from ebay are my choice - I just love a bargain and you gotta like primary recycling.)

That remark brought to you by the part of the world that puts mayonnaise on their chips

Mayo is too boring for me and, besides, it's for posh people; salad cream or tomato sauce for me, thank you. And I want it ON my chips, not in a little puddle by the side. :)

Heya, I don't want to start some petty bickering here, but I'd rather have mayonnaise on chips and no tie than a tomato sauce and a tie. But then, fashion is not an exact science, and this discussion will probably never end. Let's call it a tie.

Heya, I don't want to start some petty bickering here, but I'd rather have mayonnaise on chips and no tie than a tomato sauce and a tie. But then, fashion is not an exact science, and this discussion will probably never end. Let's call it a tie.

It looks like related to culture.

From what I have learned, British choose their clothing mostly on the basis of feeling comfortable. Latins choose their clothes on the basis of the look. I may be wrong on this...

Anyway nobody wants tomato sauce or mayonnaise on a tie. Maybe that's the reason of a tie: the ability of eating properly.

----------------

As a side-note

In some countries mayonnaise is registered, there is a specific receipt with eggs. When you buy mayonaise (with a single letter M), then the receipt is surely different (no eggs inside).

Edited by michel123456

It looks like related to culture.

From what I have learned, British choose their clothing mostly on the basis of feeling comfortable. Latins choose their clothes on the basis of the look. I may be wrong on this...

I have a niece in Italy, who's English, and she says the Italians are very big spenders on stylish clothes; apparently it's a signficant chunk of their income.

Different tie perspective, Obama standing:

AP387082268104.jpg

It doesn't seem too long now. I think, as others mentioned, when seated and leaning forward, it's going to look longer. Unless the president is a master at tying a tie, I'm guessing he's got someone to make them look just right. I NEVER get the knots so perfect that it makes that awesome dimple right in the center. Mine always seem to be off.

Different tie perspective, Obama standing:

It doesn't seem too long now. I think, as others mentioned, when seated and leaning forward, it's going to look longer. Unless the president is a master at tying a tie, I'm guessing he's got someone to make them look just right. I NEVER get the knots so perfect that it makes that awesome dimple right in the center. Mine always seem to be off.

Learn the Windsor and the Half-Windsor - nice dimples everytime

Learn the Windsor and the Half-Windsor - nice dimples everytime

I use the Half-Windsor exclusively. I'm tall in the midsection, so if I use another knot, there isn't enough end left to tuck into the loop on the back.

But this is what I usually get for a dimple:

hqdefault.jpg

lens16866801_1293265664Half-Windsor-Step

How-to-Tie-a-Windsor-knot.jpg

Asymmetrical silk dimpling! I must be all opposable thumbs!