could matter be converted into light?

could matter possibly be converted into light?

i have heard of these students who found out how to convert light into mass.

so i would think it could be done in reverse.

also,i have heard that scientist have found a way to capture light for a full 60 secs inside a crystal,

they say that light and crystals can hold informatiion.

so i started to think.

what if you could convert matter into light and then find a way to store it and retrive that information.what could we do with this type of tech?

i think,if we can convert matter into light,we can then freely travel at the speed of light.(lol)maybe store our selfs as light inside a crystal :)

does any one here know if such a thing could be possible?

(i do not claim to know the first thing about how science works)lol.

this would exsplain ufo sightings lmao.now before you go off and label me crazy for thinking that aliens exist,think about how big our universe is and then decide if life could not exist some where else,i acually think it would be impossible for intelegent life to not exist anywhere else.anyway,i have read many ufo sighting and alot of them claim to have seen crafts turn into light.also,alot of accient cultures belived crystals held some sort of power.hmmm....think about it guys :)

Edited by TheThing

I have heard of these students who found out how to convert light into mass.

It's called pair production. And it's known for 80 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pair_production

So not sure about what students you're talking about..

It requires a lot of energy. Half million more than has green photon.

so i would think it could be done in reverse.

It's also known for ages. It's called annihilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation

• 2 months later...

there are scientists that created a chip that uses light

http://engineering.stanford.edu/news/stanford-engineers-breakthrough-heralds-super-efficient-light-based-computers

pretty cool.

i do know that light can be a byproduct of a reaction (3rd grade stuff) so you would have to convert atoms into photons.

!

Moderator Note

Please stay on-topic

• 3 years later...

if you could possibly control the process of transforming matter into light, this could revolutionize travel by temporarily transforming the particles of a human into light, placing them into a crystal and moving the crystal with a craft that technology has been able to move at a much faster speed than what todays technology's capable of. Of course this method of travel would require centuries to invent. The likely hood of us creating this technology before the human race goes extinct would also depend upon being able to transform light back into matter. We would also have to perfect storing light in a crystal or other object. The technology of today limit us, but hundreds of years down the road, we may be able to perfect these methods.

Edited by CrazyScienceNerd

Let's see...

You would convert matter to light, then store it in matter and transport it conventionally, instead of allowing it to move at c, the maximum speed possible.
Is it just me or does that ( even if was possible to encode all the needed information ) make no sense at all.

Hope your 'future' never gets here !

If you turn photons in matter or vice versa then you change the information, so those science fiction idea's are meaningless.

"The theory of the Breit-Wheeler process says it should be possible to turn light into matter by smashing two particles of light (photons) together to create an electron and a positron. However, past attempts to do this have required the addition of other high-energy particles.

Physicists from Imperial College London, led by Professor Steven Rose, came up with a way of testing the theory that did not rely on these added extras in 2014, and today an experiment is running in the hope of turning light directly into matter for the first time."

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-underway.html

Edited by Itoero

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2015 at 5:32 PM, Fuzzwood said:

Look at the sun. Converts mass into light all the time.

Do we need to look at the sun? When we burn coal to generate electricity then flip a switch that turns the lights on aren’t we in effect converting mass to light? 

Then the sun grows grass then we gather the grasses and burn them at night for light.