What is Magnetism ?

Commander

Right, you mean length. Thought you meant the subjective tall (I'm tall compared to a mouse, but short compared to an elephant).

We can do that, too. (And "a mouse is small" is subjective, but "a mouse is small compared to an adult human" is not.)

Asking what length is, is valid. For items made of atoms, it's more or less the number of atoms along a straight line between the two measuring points... or something like that ;) The involved 'stuff' is atoms.

The standard has been laser light for some time now.

In the case of electric charge, it's an abundance or shortage/absence of electrons. Here the 'stuff' that's involved is electrons.

Or protons, or a multitude of other charged particles. All of which share the property of being charged. Charge does not exist by itself

Now, how do we answer this for magnetism? What's the involved 'stuff' here?

It's charge in motion, which leads you to relativity.

Perhaps, but what if some of those questions can be answered? You're obviously (probably) going to hit a wall at some point. A point where you can't go farther because nature won't let you, or because you've simply arrived at the end. Until that happens, these questions must be asked.

And with charge, we've hit that wall.

We can do that, too. (And "a mouse is small" is subjective, but "a mouse is small compared to an adult human" is not.)

The point is that I thought you meant the subjective tall, which depends on your viewpoint, while length does not, because it depends on some reference unit.

The standard has been laser light for some time now.

That's probably easier than counting atoms :)

Or protons, or a multitude of other charged particles. All of which share the property of being charged. Charge does not exist by itself

Right, but what causes the charge? Is it simply part of the way a particle behaves?

And with charge, we've hit that wall.

Impossible to prove. That's the problem with that wall. Is there nothing more? Perhaps there is, but can we get to it? If we can get to it, how hard is that going to be? Is it going to take 10 years? A 100? A million?

Anyway, I should know better than to start arguing about physics, and from now on I'm going to stick to something I know: Computer programming.

Edited by Thorham

Anyway, I should know better than to start arguing about physics

The trouble is, this isn't physics. Until there is a reason to think that charge is not fundamental or a testable hypothesis about the nature of charge, these sort of questions are metaphysics.

The trouble is, this isn't physics. Until there is a reason to think that charge is not fundamental or a testable hypothesis about the nature of charge, these sort of questions are metaphysics.

Yes, and that's another problem for me. Science can't answer certain questions, including the ultimate question, namely: What is the true nature of reality?

So I'm going to stick to programming. Much easier :)

Yes, and that's another problem for me. Science can't answer certain questions, including the ultimate question, namely: What is the true nature of reality?

So I'm going to stick to programming. Much easier :)

Programming is like Puzzle Solving,

A purely Software Process always having to run on a Hardware like Computer or Human Brain etc.

Perhaps the best software is to create an Intelligent Robot with all Human Prowess with Possibilities of Enhancement/Expansion. Also able to duplicate a Living Human's Knowledge/Memory/Brain so that Death can be grossly defeated !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PS : Another interesting and useful Program you can create is an Embedded Software on the TV Remote which will automatically switch the next Channel on the Favotite List as soon as an Ad is started or is going on !

Edited by Commander

There is no evidence that charge is made of anything else. It appears to be one of the fundamental properties of matter.

Consider this :

Charge might be just a Property of Matter with Mass.

Just like Heat radiates from a Higher Temp to Lower Temp [Temperature indicating Heat Potential ]

Electric Charge might flow from higher Potential to lower Potential [ though it is presently called Negative ]

We may need to look at it in a different angle.

Consider this :

Charge might be just a Property of Matter with Mass.

Just like Heat radiates from a Higher Temp to Lower Temp [Temperature indicating Heat Potential ]

Electric Charge might flow from higher Potential to lower Potential [ though it is presently called Negative ]

That sounds about right.

• 3 months later...

Maybe I should start a new topic for this, but the wealth of knowledge exhibited here is too awesome. :)

1. Many introductory materials talk about (and use in illustrations) 'lines of force' when covering magnetism. Is that an accurate concept, or a fiction for illustrative purposes? Are there actually discrete force lines, or is it a continuous field?
  2. I'm looking for materials that, when used as the core of a coil, will strongly enhance the coil's magnetic effects. However, I'm looking for materials that will retain as little as possible of any induced magnetism -- and other materials that will retain as much as possible. I don't know what terms to use nor where to look; can anyone provide we with some links or pointers?

Thanks very much!

• 3 weeks later...

1. Continuous

2. Soft magnetic versus hard magnetic.

Transformer laminations are soft magnetic. Some more expensive materials are even softer, like Permalloy.

As much as possible: this is called a permanent magnet. The usual champion presently is neodymium (in fact Nd-Fe-B) but precisely because it's hard magnetic, it's (really) difficult to magnetize, typically by capacitor discharge in the megawatt region. You buy them already made.

• 1 month later...

Are we done with the original topic?

Good Question !

+1 for you

When charges move, you get magnetism. It is just a different "perspective" on charge.

Nice +1

Be aware of the difference between force and energy.

Magnets do not have energy flowing into or out of them.

Magnetism is a force. Exerting a force may or may not involve energy.

For example the Earth continues to exert a force on you through gravity, but no energy flows into or out of the Earth, unless you fall out of the sky.

In the same way a magnet may cause another body to move, doing work in the process.

But something moves or holds the magnet.

This is like poking something with a stick so it moves or drawing it along with a string.

Either way the stick or string exerts a force on the object, but something else has to push or pull the other end.

If the object does not move then the force can remain exerted till kingdom come and no work is done, so no energy flows.

Good point +1