All negative Clicks must be made Public !

Do you realise, you didn't answer any of my questions?

Do you feel enriched by the feedback system showing that you often make irrational or otherwise poor quality posts?

I only answer the questions I like to answer. However it does not mean that I don't have an answer or I want to avoid answering.

If I am forced to accept this neg repps [anonymous] I am prepared to accept any Reviewer's opinion particularly if I ask for it.

And you know I am not suggesting open disclosure but a confidential cooperative excange of views.

You ask me to rate one of your posts.

Anyway the quick rating need not be taken seriously at all.

Perhaps I can do only that if I can not read all connected matter.

Still it will give a better inkling and peer review and mutual understanding to say the least.

I only answer the questions I like to answer. However it does not mean that I don't have an answer or I want to avoid answering.

If I am forced to accept this neg repps [anonymous] I am prepared to accept any Reviewer's opinion particularly if I ask for it.

And you know I am not suggesting open disclosure but a confidential cooperative excange of views.

You ask me to rate one of your posts.

Anyway the quick rating need not be taken seriously at all.

Perhaps I can do only that if I can not read all connected matter.

Still it will give a better inkling and peer review and mutual understanding to say the least.

Of course any system is subject to the extremes of a bell curve.

I see a lot of new members get negative reps where they are not used to the way we tend to debate. It might help them to conform, but at the same time they end up somewhat in the hole starting out. I think it would help if anyone with negative reputation received an automatic +1 once a week.

An older system gave each new user 10 points, which were carried over when we switched to the "new" board software and new rep system. This is why you can find some members who have no posts but +10 rep points. This is at least the third iteration of reputation in my time here. By far the best option I've seen. (In the first system, the rep you gave out was proportional to your own reputation. Even back then, it was like I was wielding Mjölnir. I was eventually giving out something like 20 points a click, if I gave out rep — there was no way to throttle it.)

I don't know if that's possible with the current software.

Yes, true if a more rigorous treatment like this is done on anyone's post it can spread the spectrum of scrutiny.

Perhaps a numeric score is avoided and even if the color codes are shown to public the meanings can only be exchanged between the assessor and assessed thru PM and will be only between them.

At present it may not replace the current numeric rep system [the suggestions for improvement of that is a separate matter] but can be a parallel process.

If a Poster wants his post rated by an assessor so as to get a third party view on it he can ask for it and get enriched by the response.

Any member may ask any other member / friend to assess his post. Also a moderator or Admin can assess and convey his rating to the poster [part of the structured warning / merit system].

Maybe to start with the suggested format can be used and tried out.

TRILLIAN:

It was very uncomfortable. I prefer something with far longer arms.

ARTHUR:

But which is probably quite incapable of drinking coffee!

TRILLIAN:

ARTHUR:

Why is it the sea is stationary whilst the land is washing up and down?

I see a lot of new members get negative reps where they are not used to the way we tend to debate. It might help them to conform, but at the same time they end up somewhat in the hole starting out. I think it would help if anyone with negative reputation received an automatic +1 once a week.

I don't know if that's possible with the current software.

I'm pretty sure the software can only count the rep that's actually been given by a member. There are no "automatic" points, and no way to give someone an extra +100 because we feel they deserve it (believe me, if it was possible, I'd give our Resident Experts a huge bump). But if mods could do that, I wouldn't want the system since it would have no meaning.

I'm pretty sure the software can only count the rep that's actually been given by a member. There are no "automatic" points, and no way to give someone an extra +100 because we feel they deserve it (believe me, if it was possible, I'd give our Resident Experts a huge bump). But if mods could do that, I wouldn't want the system since it would have no meaning.

Admins can give and take any number of rep points if necessary. I've only seen Cap'n use that power once, and that was with an especially persistent troll and his merry band of sock puppets.

I was thinking of the default +10 when you join, as we had with the old board software, not something the mods could control.

I included a spoiler in my signature but nothing as signature seem to be showing.

Oh great, but I am unable to see it myself in the posts.

Can you see others Signatures?

In Your Profile/My Settings/'Ignore' Preferences there is an checkbox to Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages.

(It seems to also be possible to Ignore your own Signature with the settings on that page.)

Edited by Spyman

Can you see others Signatures?

In Your Profile/My Settings/'Ignore' Preferences there is an checkbox to Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages.

(It seems to also be possible to Ignore your own Signature with the settings on that page.)

Hi, Thanks.

Our Moderator Phi guided me with this info and I thank him too.

Yes, you are right and thanks once again.

+1 for you.

• 5 months later...

Admins can give and take any number of rep points if necessary. I've only seen Cap'n use that power once, and that was with an especially persistent troll and his merry band of sock puppets.

Nice +1 coming

I was thinking of the default +10 when you join, as we had with the old board software, not something the mods could control.

Nice +1 coming

Nice point

+1 coming [out of quota right now]

TRILLIAN:

ARTHUR:

nice one

+1 soon

I owe you at least +5 more - will happen soon

!

Moderator Note

Commander,

The purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss things. This usually requires that you makes posts of actual substance. Your contributions of late read as a bizarre, long-winded tantrum against your negative reputation here. If you can't start contributing to this forum in a way that aligns with the objective of a discussion forum (namely, this discussion forum), you will be added to the mod queue and none of your posts will appear unless we approve them first.

Should a government official not be allowed to vote in elections? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's a complicated issue and I prefer not to discuss further : I mean the Rep System

Should a government official not be allowed to vote in elections? :rolleyes:

Govt Officials who are also Citizens can Vote but can not stand as Candidates in the Election when they are still Govt Officials !

Edited by Commander

Yes, it's a complicated issue and I prefer not to discuss further : I mean the Rep System

Govt Officials who are also Citizens can Vote but can not stand as Candidates in the Election when they are still Govt Officials !

What makes you think this is a democracy? SF.n is not even a polity but if it must be pigeon-holed it would be somewhere between Benign Dictatorship and Enlightened Oligarchy (in the correct usage not the recent corruption of the word)

What makes you think this is a democracy? SF.n is not even a polity but if it must be pigeon-holed it would be somewhere between Benign Dictatorship and Enlightened Oligarchy (in the correct usage not the recent corruption of the word)

You are right !

Do I have any privileges here ?

Perhaps not.

Won't even say that I gave you a praise bcoz you already know that.

Right now my mind is busy with this Rep System but as I am not allowed to further discuss about it I won't.

Yes, it is up to you gentlemen / ladies whether you want Brains to get involved here or send them to Rational Skepticism !

Yes - most certainly. You get to post - that is a privilege. You do not get it by right - it is at the discretion of the administrators and staff, can be withdrawn, and only arises after you have completed certain prerequisites.

Right now my mind is busy with this Rep System but as I am not allowed to further discuss about it I won't.

Yes, it is up to you gentlemen / ladies whether you want Brains to get involved here or send them to Rational Skepticism !

We most certainly are not in a popularity contest nor in a rush to realign our ideals to compete with a different forum; both fora offer distinct and somewhat incommensurable features - who is to say which is better? I will say without fear of contradiction that it is better to have diversity of approach rather than slavish mimicry.

Your final point is also very dismissive of those who have been here longer than me and far longer than you, the holders of multiple post-graduate degrees, the acknowledged experts in their field, and the eloquent and educated stalwarts of the forum when you state that only your ideas will get the "Brains" involved and thus by implication most have already left for pastures new.

Why not forget about the rep system and concentrate on science posts - you know, what this forum is all about. Stop getting tied up in the administrative details of protocol and dive into the substantive wonder of science.

Yes - most certainly. You get to post - that is a privilege. You do not get it by right - it is at the discretion of the administrators and staff, can be withdrawn, and only arises after you have completed certain prerequisites.

We most certainly are not in a popularity contest nor in a rush to realign our ideals to compete with a different forum; both fora offer distinct and somewhat incommensurable features - who is to say which is better? I will say without fear of contradiction that it is better to have diversity of approach rather than slavish mimicry.

Your final point is also very dismissive of those who have been here longer than me and far longer than you, the holders of multiple post-graduate degrees, the acknowledged experts in their field, and the eloquent and educated stalwarts of the forum when you state that only your ideas will get the "Brains" involved and thus by implication most have already left for pastures new.

Why not forget about the rep system and concentrate on science posts - you know, what this forum is all about. Stop getting tied up in the administrative details of protocol and dive into the substantive wonder of science.

OK

Agreed. You have put it excellently !

I won't now be bothered about the Rep System.

Also won't bother to down vote those I thought are giving me these.

Not easy to forgive them though !

You are right !

Perhaps not.

Won't even say that I gave you a praise bcoz you already know that.

I find it quite funny that you have so many neg points and you haven't been banned. It is an achievement! Better laugh about it than cry. it means that on the average your POV is not accepted, is badly considered, while at the same time your behavior is in line with the Forum rules. Really it is a difficult task that very few can achieve.

And after saying that, i wonder if it is better to give you a plus (that will reduce your achievement) or a minus. :)

---------------------

I just had a look at your rep.

IIRC you had about -80 the other day, and now only -49. A miracle is happening!

Edited by michel123456

I find it quite funny that you have so many neg points and you haven't been banned. It is an achievement! Better laugh about it than cry. it means that on the average your POV is not accepted, is badly considered, while at the same time your behavior is in line with the Forum rules. Really it is a difficult task that very few can achieve.

And after saying that, i wonder if it is better to give you a plus (that will reduce your achievement) or a minus. :)

---------------------

I just had a look at your rep.

IIRC you had about -80 the other day, and now only -49. A miracle is happening!

Hi Michel,

My Computer was off for the last 6 hours but I had failed to log out, so it must have shown that I was online.

I thought that we were in good terms and I note that you were the only one who gave me recently two praises but the effect on my overall score was lost as I again got some more neg voting.

From my side you got more than 7 to 9 up voting in the last few days and perhaps you did not note that.

Though these voting must be strictly done on merit I have realized that no one is doing that here and simply give praises to whom they like and down vote whom they dislike.

Apart from you I also gave up voting to many and as I suggested that this can be transparent I did try and inform the recipients of my praise.

Many of them have recently even got more than 5 praises individually. For those who have already a high score this hardly matters.

Honestly I did think that I can bury this issue as suggested by imatfaal but your post has triggered this response so that I can give an account of what's happening.

My score overall has never been worse than what it is with minor fluctuations.

Ever since it started sliding down from -9 I have been upset and always thought that it is a matter of time before it becomes normal again.

Frankly I could not concentrate on real science , Maths etc as I tried in my initial months here and I am unable to digest this hatred being shown here.

Imagine someone telling me that he will give me 3 Neg Votes etc. If I am mean minded I can go after his 3500 score by down 3 every day.

I have given over 100 praises perhaps [may be more] since I joined here but only 20 or less Negative voting.

I have a fairly good idea who have tried to be mean with me.

I am now reverting back to my Policy of giving No Praises and No Negative Voting to anyone whatsoever and let me see whether I'll be able to regain my equanimity !

Edited by Commander

Commander, I reviewed your to earlier. Both positive and negative points have been awarded by a broad range of people. With significant overlap of people who have given you negative points have also given positive. You're not being targeted.