Easy COOl experiments

akcapr

You can also add a solution of calcium hydroxide (i make and filter out the solids from calcium carbide, then you can light the acetylene too) to a solution of sodium carbonate or hydrogencarbonate. YTou get a nice white precipation reaction.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MnO2 will work as well, in fact, that's what was used to isolate chlorine gas the first time it was purified. However, it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar less efficient than KMnO4 or Ca(OCl)2 is. Also, the calcium hypochlorite is a bit easier and cheaper to come by.

How much formal chemistry education do you have? You could make a battery with all kinds of things (Iron Oxide and aluminum will work)

The Aluminum will reduce the Iron Oxide, making Iron and Aluminum Oxide.

a note about chlorine production:

it's best to use a hypochlorite with HCl, not only because it is cheaper, but also because the hypochlorite donates a chlorine atom as does the chloride, so you have 50% more Cl2. if you want to do this, obviously do it outdoors and be ready to run just in case. if you want to dry your Cl2, i suggest Mg(ClO4)2 (but it's really expensive), conc H2SO4 or perhaps Ca(OH)2. if you're feeling ambitious, perhaps some P2O5

i think he means H20, if not please share your source also as ive never come accross it either.

Wouldnt you just get sulfurous acid, H2SO3, if you used water, and not sulfuric? Thats what my teacher said anyways when I made oxygen and then burned sulfur in it, just add water, and there ya go.

If you bubble it through water you get sulfurous acid. If you bubble it through H2O2 you get sulfuric acid. The H2O2 is donating its extra oxygen to the reaction to get H2SO4. Im sure there is allittle sulfuruos acid because there is also water in the solution.

budullewraagh wrote:

i think you'd need a rhodium or platinum catalyst for that. the activation energy for the oxidation of SO2 to SO3 is too great and H2O2 just isnt strong enough of an oxidizing agent for that

My response:H2O2 is a fairly strong oxidizing agent.

It would make sense, because the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide is a multi-step process through which various intermediates are created. If memory serves me right, O- is one of those intermediates as H2O2 decomposes into H2O and O-. Then another molecule decomposes and forms another H2O and another O- which forms O2. If you are bubbling SO2 through there, the O- will oxidize the SO2 into SO3 which will then go on to form H2SO4.

Cheers for the link, it`s certainly a news to me, although it`s a rather Expensive way to make the stuff, it`s worth knowing if you`re REALLY stuck for acid :)

pity Ammonia couldn`t be used instead to make Nitric acid!

thnx for the Info :)

"pity Ammonia couldn`t be used instead to make Nitric acid!"

indirectly it can be (think ostwald process)

speaking of nitric acid...

3NO2(g)+H2O(l)---->2 HNO3(aq)+NO(g)

but also

4 NO2 + O2 + 2 H2O --> 4 HNO3(aq)

so...i propose the following synthesis:

2NO2+H2O2+2H2O--H+-->2HNO3+2H2O

I rem making NO2 a long time ago using Potassium persulphate ( the Blue powder used to make the paste in hair bleaching) and some other chem, and I can`t for the life of me rem what it was I used?

I know it wasn`t a Nitrate, it was an Ammonium compound, hence my wondering about Ammonia and H2O2, although I`m fairly sure that if such a reaction were to work, it would have to be acidulated (Ph <7).