Is the Government and the Agencies keeping genetic secrets from us?

Angel44709

I did read somewhere once about the American government experimenting with human dna and the dna of tardigrades, As tardigrades can survive in a vacuum and can survive ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, And can also go without food for 10years. .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

It was something to do with long range space travel.

Governments have always experimented in secret and always will.

Is the Government keeping secrets that people kill themselves for?

!

Moderator Note

This is posted in biology/genetics. Do you have a genetics question to ask? Keep in mind that we are not a conspiracy discussion board

Since this is in a mainstream forum, I'd like to see some hard evidence instead of "I read somewhere once...". And can we define what the OP is asking for? Obviously, much testing is done in secret by both public and private entities. Much of this is genetic testing, but so what?

Aren't we really just talking about secret genetic testing we'd all be outraged to find out about? And without some hard evidence, isn't this just speculating on conspiracies?

All governments keep secrets, just like all people do. If we make the assumption that there are secrets worth killing for, then logically it follows that the answer to your question is - possibly.

I hope so.

The sad truth is that people kill themselves for bad reasons- for example some people might kill themselves to avoid the embarrassment of having been diagnosed with a mental health problem.

The government keeps a lot of medical records like that.

In general it does keep them secret- just as it obviously should do.

There is basic longevity and anti radiation work going on. To my knowledge non genetic means appear more practical. Metabolism is a biggie different means of surviving desication another.

The closest would probably be some of the new treatments which work via correcting DNA. Most of what we can do is pretty minor though.

I did read somewhere once about the American government experimenting with human dna and the dna of tardigrades, As tardigrades can survive in a vacuum and can survive ionizing radiation at doses hundreds of times higher than the lethal dose for a human, And can also go without food for 10years. .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

It was something to do with long range space travel.

Governments have always experimented in secret and always will.

you would wonder why they have evolved along this line of evolution. Is this something also being kept from us?

There's material on the subject on Wikipedia...

• Radiation – tardigrades can withstand 1,000 times more radiation than other animals,[33] median lethal doses of 5,000 Gy (of gamma rays) and 6,200 Gy (of heavy ions) in hydrated animals (5 to 10 Gy could be fatal to a human).[34] The only explanation found in earlier experiments for this ability was that their lowered water state provides fewer reactants for the ionizing radiation.[35] However, subsequent research found that tardigrades, when hydrated, still remain highly resistant to shortwave UV radiation in comparison to other animals, and that one factor for this is their ability to efficiently repair damage to their DNA resulting from that exposure.[36]

Tardigrades are one of the few groups of species that are capable of reversibly suspending their metabolism and going into a state of cryptobiosis. Several species regularly survive in a dehydrated state for nearly 10 years. Depending on the environment, they may enter this state via anhydrobiosis, cryobiosis, osmobiosis, or anoxybiosis. While in this state, their metabolism lowers to less than 0.01% of normal and their water content can drop to 1% of normal. Their ability to remain desiccated for such a long period is largely dependent on the high levels of the nonreducing sugar trehalose, which protects their membranes. In this cryptobiotic state, the tardigrade is known as a tun.[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrade

Assorted bacteria do even better. Deinococcus radiodurans is probably the best known.

Evolution sometimes manages to outdo itself. It goes for one thing and ends up with a happy fringe benefit useful when a new species decides to start irradiating their food.

Since this is in a mainstream forum, I'd like to see some hard evidence instead of "I read somewhere once...". And can we define what the OP is asking for? Obviously, much testing is done in secret by both public and private entities. Much of this is genetic testing, but so what?

Aren't we really just talking about secret genetic testing we'd all be outraged to find out about? And without some hard evidence, isn't this just speculating on conspiracies?

I have looked for this paper but cannot yet find it(it was a few years back) it contained details that where over my head,

Just came across this, which also talks about crossing human/tardigrades dna.

As we know radiation/space is harmful to humans and this genetic joining of tardigrades/human dna would bring great benefits to space travel, also for the human race as an whole from protect from cosmic radiation, So yes I believe these sort of experiments are going on in secret behind closed doors.

Protecting human DNA agains radiation using genes from tardigrades

http://www.scribd.com/doc/241380276/Poster-Protecting-human-DNA-agains-radiation-using-genes-from-tardigrades#scribd

Edited by sunshaker

Ignoring the title and taking this sentence completely seriously: Probably. People have a tendency to kill themselves over big secrets, and governments tend to keep bug secrets. I'd be shocked if some people hadn't killed themselves over some connection to a secret being kept by the government at some point.

I mean, there are historical examples across lots of different governments. They're probably generally not quite as exciting as what tends to get called to mind when someone says "a government secret that people have killed themselves over" though. People tend to kill themselves over quite boring and mundane secrets, like embezzlement and bribery.