Derivitive and Integral of Flooring and Ceiling?

So...it doesn't have a derivative while nested inside another function that produces a continuous curve? Or....

Do I reuse it in such a way that it is its own derivative or integral? Like d(floor(x)^2)/dx = 2(floor(x))?

I just find it very odd that I would have to break a completely continuous, smooth, monotonic curve into these separate parts that aren't even graphically visible at the points of the derivative or ceiling function.

If I had y=x^2, but replaced x with "floor(x)," well the lowest integer between 1 and 1 is 1, and the lowest integer between 2 and 2 is 2 and so on and it should be a continuous curve, yet I still have to break down the simple integral of x^2 into parts at locations that I can't even directly see?

Edited by MWresearch

The function y = (floor(x))^2 isn't continuous. See the graph at WolframAlpha: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y+%3D+floor%28x%29%5E2

As Bignose mentioned, the derivative of the floor function is 0 for all non-integer x and undefined for all integer x. Thus, using the chain rule, we see that the derivative of floor(x)^2 = 2floor(x) * 0 = 0 for non-integer x, and of course it's undefined for integer x.

Also, as a minor nitpick, y = x^2 isn't monotonic.

Edit: My second paragraph is worded a bit poorly, as it seems to imply that non-differentiability implies discontinuity, which is certainly false (in fact, most continuous functions are nowhere differentiable). But since the derivative of floor(x)^2 was mentioned earlier, I'll leave it in anyway, for its general point.

Edited by John

This should not be an argument about continuity.

The calculus you require for the floor and ceiling functions is called the finite calculus.

In this calculus the derivative operator D is replaced by the difference operator [math]\Delta [/math]

and the integral operator [math]\int {} [/math]is replaced by the Summation operator [math]\Sigma [/math]

You can find out about these and the maths of floor and ceiling function by reading

Graham, Knuth and Patashank

Section 2.6 deals with the finite calculus and chapter 3 with f&c functions.

Edited by studiot

Oh, that is my bad then. Somehow I got continuous curves involving the flooring function when I was looking at weird integrals for functions involving the lambert w function and the gamma function and so I assumed that the "picking between numbers" operation applied equally to decimals.

I also just meant monotonic because I was only looking at the first quadrant of x^2.