We are immortal in ugly way - philosopher David Lewis

Hello All,
Lately I've reading a lot about many worlds, multiverse and immortality.One peace was the latest work of philosopher David Lewis,"How many lives has Schroedinger Cat?".He states "if there is no collapse,then you will not die,you will go on forever" .http://www.artsrn.ualberta.ca/pex/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/lewis.pdf

As you survive deadly danger over and over again,you should also expect to suffer repeated harms.You should expect to lose your lover,your eyes,your limbs ,your mental powers and health.

It is not to be welcomed but feared

Any thoughts? David Lewis is considered to be one of the most prominent philosophers of the 20th century.But maybe it is just theory or speculation abyway?...I became really depressed after reading it

• 4 weeks later...

If for every world where you die, there is one where you don't, then for every world where you lose an eye, there is one where you don't. For every world where you lose your lover, there is one where you don't.

On the whole, most worlds would probably have an average mix of positive and negative things happening to you. The longer you live, the more problems you will find in your life, true. But also the more positives that will happen. It's only to be feared if you fear life in general.

Assuming it is true, which it almost certainly isn't anyway.

If the many-worlds interpretation is true it does throw into question where your consciousness ends. You'd surely only ever find yourself in a "world" where you haven't died yet right? I've been wondering about this for years. My first thought was that I could test the theory by playing Russian roulette. After 100 clicks and no bangs you've surely proved the theory correct? Either that or you're just incredibly lucky... How many clicks would it take until you were sure? How many dead versions of yourself are you leaving your relatives to deal with in the other worlds?

• 2 weeks later...

If the many-worlds interpretation is true it does throw into question where your consciousness ends. You'd surely only ever find yourself in a "world" where you haven't died yet right? I've been wondering about this for years. My first thought was that I could test the theory by playing Russian roulette. After 100 clicks and no bangs you've surely proved the theory correct? Either that or you're just incredibly lucky... How many clicks would it take until you were sure? How many dead versions of yourself are you leaving your relatives to deal with in the other worlds?

I read that concept in Tegmarks 'Mathematical Universe' book I think.

But death is not a binary event. It's a process. There is no clear cut border between being dead and alive. So rather than hearing "clicks" infinitely many times, you may as well find yourself being kept forever on life support with barely functioning brain, not being aware that you're evan alive. Or you may disintegrate and be reconstructed by some future civilization in a digital form or physically. After all every atom of human body is exchanged every few years... so Hans from 2015 has not a single atom in common with Hans from 1999 or 2002 but I somehow managed to retain clear continuity of consciousness for my entire (still very short) life.