Introduction Into Physics

Hey,

My interest in Quantum Theory and what it is has recently peeked and I am looking into self teaching myself about it. Of course in order to know about what I am learning I have to know the basics of physics and all that go alongside it. Thing is, I don't know where to start. I am a sophomore in high school so I have yet to actually tap into what I want to learn and as such I ask that you, the people of the forum, supply me with some content to look into which will help me build the basis for learning about Quantum mechanics.

Thanks!

It depends what you mean here. To get a basic understanding you need linear algebra, a little calculus and some idea about probability distributions. With that you can study the Schrödinger equation and matrix mechanics.

If you want an even more basic idea, then you could concentrate on studying Planck's law, wave-particle duality and the hydrogen spectrum using just basic algebra. This is what UK physics students in the final year of high school will do.

High School Quantum theory?

Well this is also very important to chemists as well as physicists and their presentation is rather less heavy and math reliant.

So my I suggest you get along to your library and look in the chemistry section under General Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and I'm sure you will find much of interest.

I am less familiar with american volumes but

General Chemisty by Ralph Petrucci is digestible.

A british book from Cambridge University would be really good if you can find it

The Quantum Universe by Hey and Walters.

This covers QM for both Chemistry and Physics and more.

Enjoy your studies.

:)

How comfortable are you with maths? Would you be willing to learn some more before getting into the interesting bits of physics?

I am very comfortable with math and am very interested in learning more. I am currently self teaching myself physics - though I have only just recently broken the ground on this. I have two teachers that are helping me with material I have questions on.

It depends what you mean here. To get a basic understanding you need linear algebra, a little calculus and some idea about probability distributions. With that you can study the Schrödinger equation and matrix mechanics.

If you want an even more basic idea, then you could concentrate on studying Planck's law, wave-particle duality and the hydrogen spectrum using just basic algebra. This is what UK physics students in the final year of high school will do.

Thanks for the advice! I am fairly good at linear algebra and would consider myself competent. I have little knowledge on calculus as far as I know, and no knowledge of probability distributions. As such, I'll look into it as soon as I finish learning physics and other basics that I need. Luckily if I have any trouble there are some people that I can go to for help - and to this forum too.

High School Quantum theory?

Well this is also very important to chemists as well as physicists and their presentation is rather less heavy and math reliant.

So my I suggest you get along to your library and look in the chemistry section under General Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and I'm sure you will find much of interest.

I am less familiar with american volumes but

General Chemisty by Ralph Petrucci is digestible.

A british book from Cambridge University would be really good if you can find it

The Quantum Universe by Hey and Walters.

This covers QM for both Chemistry and Physics and more.

Enjoy your studies.

:)

Thanks for the book suggestions! At the moment I am reading 3 Physics books to ensure that I have a good base idea and can get used to the vocabulary. Following this I'll probably look into chemistry or get into calculus first to further expand my vocabulary. And yea, QP in high school :P Physicist have always interested me and it's a little fantasy of mine to imagine myself a scientist working for someone like SERN in the future ;) Anyways, I don't think they teach this in high school but I want to tap into it on my own free time.