Boris Nemtsov, critic of putin, has been killed 27-Feb-2015

Sensei

Boris Nemtsov, critic of putin, has been killed 27-Feb-2015

Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Nemtsov

"Close to midnight on 27 February 2015 in Moscow, Nemtsov was shot four times in the chest as he was walking near the Kremlin with a female companion. He was on the Bolshoi Zamoskvoretsky Bridge when "several people" got out of a white car and shot him in the back, according to the Russian media."

BBC source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31669061

"A leading Russian opposition politician, former Deputy Prime Minister Boris Nemtsov, has been shot dead in Moscow, Russian officials say."

"In a recent interview, he had said he feared Russian President Vladimir Putin would have him killed because of his opposition to the war in Ukraine."

Well, I think that illustrates what we are dealing with ...in big neon-lit letters. Time for the West to start getting its hands dirty. if we don't proactively assist Ukraine, NATOs words in any future accord will be worthless.

Edited to add:

Coincidentallty, this just came up: the ex-MI6 chief thinks so too.

Russia has become a danger to Britain and the country must be prepared to take steps to defend itself and its allies, the former head of MI6 says.

Sir John Sawers, who recently retired after five years as chief of the Secret Intelligence Service, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that Russia poses a "state to state threat".

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31669195

Edited by StringJunky

I think it show the obvious difference between the West and Russia. I am surprised that our governments were so surprised by Russia's intervention in The Ukraine, and now we have this murder. With the Russian fleet now being able to dock in Cyprus and a continuing build up the the Baltic we should all be worried. Putin is heading towards WWIII. How do we stop him peacefully without loosing too much? That has to be the question on everyone's lips.

I think it show the obvious difference between the West and Russia.

Slightly off-topic: forgot Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning cases? Attack on, arrest and prosecution of pro-democratic defenders.. ?!

I am surprised that our governments were so surprised by Russia's intervention in The Ukraine, and now we have this murder.

Forgot Alexander Litvinenko case?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_of_Alexander_Litvinenko

Yeah, right, "everybody" has access to polonium-210 "around corner".

Similar like any terrorist goes to shop "around corner" to get rocket launcher vehicle and tank...

How do we stop him peacefully without loosing too much? That has to be the question on everyone's lips.

There is one way to stop such people. Permanent way.

Slightly off-topic: forgot Edward Snowden and Chelsea Manning cases? Attack on, arrest and prosecution of pro-democratic defenders.. ?!

The difference as I see it is that Snowden and Manning released classified documents to the public. Nemtsov was arrested for unauthorised protests. Maybe a crime in Russia, maybe it could be seen as an act of a traitor, but it is in my opinion not the same as releasing classified information while a war is in progress. .

This should remind everyone that Putin is happy to kill his opponents.

There is one way to stop such people. Permanent way.

The problem is that it may stop a lot of innocent people, permanently.

Putin is heading towards WWIII. How do we stop him peacefully without loosing too much?

Perhaps we need to show European solidarity I think Putin expects us to not really band together to oppose him. Europe has a far higher population and we are well armed

Edited by fiveworlds

Putin is an idealogical left-over from the era of the KGB in the USSR and is a pernicious threat (but sometimes so blunt/obvious that it's mocking) to stability and freedom in his own country and others, especially in the recent case of Ukraine. It is also relevant to note here that Nemtsov was a physicist and engineer who, apparently, made several contributions to QM research and developments in acoustics.

He was, from what I've read, adamant for democracy and freedom (both of speech and action), and has put serious efforts to promulgating those ideals throughout his life, eventually and unfortunately beat out by the one who epitomized all that he had been fighting.

I wish well on Dr. Nemtsov's corpse, to, gracefully, Decay in Peace.

An excellent biography of Joseph Stalin is "Stalin, The Court of the Red Tsar" by Simon Montefiore

The book discusses the brutal rivalries and corrupt activities that existed in Stalin's government/entourage.

And according to one observer:

Putin's level of control of the Russian state is comparable to that which Josef Stalin held until his death in 1953. It is no wonder Putin has made efforts to rehabilitate him [stalin] to a respectable figure, not a murderous and paranoid dictator.

See The Secret Speech and Putins Cult of Personality Edited by Bill Angel