Lab fireball 'may be black hole'

mustang292

Okay, but with this knowledge, I believe we should bar these experiments just like we did cloning. One bad calculation or one over egotistical mad scientist may go to far, and then? Well it would be too late. We wouldn't know what hit us. Talk about a super weapon! Gees. I say wait until we get to another galaxy to try these experiments. Somewhere Far Far away from Me!

That research was done at a lab right next door to me. (I even did some research there myself!)

What you need to understand is that they are smashing atoms together. Things so small we can't even come close to seeing them with the naked eye. The pseudo black holes they create degrade so quickly, it's hard to detect them. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Ecoli:What you need to understand is that they are smashing atoms together. Things so small we can't even come close to seeing them with the naked eye. The pseudo black holes they create degrade so quickly, it's hard to detect them. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, but Ever heard of Serendipity? We are assuming these guys know which 2 atoms NOT to smash together.

I don't think there going to smash the wrong atoms. They know what they doing. I've seen RHIC and the experiment facilities. I even have a few friends whose father's are scientists that work with RHIC.

There not just randomly smashing atoms together. These experiments are highly regulated and carefully maintaiined.

*btw, mustang292, we have the same birthday!

I seriously doubt it is a black hole. It is much more likely just to be a quark-gluon plasma. If it were a black hole it would imply that the Planck energy (the energy at which gravity becomes strong) is much much lower than we thought.

There are theories around nowadays which have extra dimensions in them which are not very curled up like they are in string theory. If that were the case, gravity could be diluted by spreading itself out in these extra dimensions, so the true Planck scale could be just around the corner.

However, Rhic is colliding copper atoms together at about 130GeV, so to make a black hole at all would need the Planck mass to be <130GeV. I am fairly sure that we would have seen something at LEP if this were the case, which probed up to about 208GeV. Also, the theories which have low Planck scales like this are rather contrived and unnatural.

Anyway, as previously posted, these are not 'real' black holes. It is just sensationalism run rampamt for the press to suggest that they are.

Particles with significantly more energy have impinged on our atmosphere many times in the past. If a black hole was going to be created, and this was a danger, we would have be nuclear toast aeons ago.

Chicken Little-ism is decidedly not the answer.

it is my understanding that to create a blackhole that would act as some form of "super weapon" would need considerable more mass to be collided at considerably higher energies than we have any hope of creating on earth, for the foreseable future. And as for waiting for another universe to do them in, we'd have to have some way of accessing it and surely the bh could could act through the passage anway, although this line of though is ridiculouse I'm not really sure why I'm actually thinking about it...

yes a black hole is a superweapon, but so is a nuke, but people still fiddle with them, and a black hole in itself isnt dangerous, its its gravity, wich is created by its mass, and a mass of 2 atoms isnt going to be pulling in anything soon....

but if you cant sleep with the idea of blackholes being made now you know, how could you sleep before? ignorance is not a excuse :P

A black hole that size, has trouble swallowing a proton, so i shouldnt worry, until people making them with the mass of the earth, which could probably kill a dozen people, at most, and that isnt going to happen.

A black hole that size, has trouble swallowing a proton, so i shouldnt worry, until people making them with the mass of the earth, which could probably kill a dozen people, at most, and that isnt going to happen.
The creation of a black hole with the mass of the earth would require all the mass of the earth, which most likely would kill everybody present on earth during the process, not just a dozen.

If the making was done by using some other sorce, then a black hole of that size would still consume the earth and kill everybody if it was made or brought here.

But I can agree on that it is not going to happen anytime soon.

If the making was done by using some other sorce' date=' then a black hole of that size would still consume the earth and kill everybody if it was made or brought here.

[/quote']

No it wouldnt.

When I find the formula ill give it to you.

Unless you mean slowly chewing away at the earth for thousands of years.

Particles with significantly more energy have impinged on our atmosphere many times in the past. If a black hole was going to be created, and this was a danger, we would have be nuclear toast aeons ago.
Does this mean that particles crashing against our atmosphere actually creates black holes ?

Is there any observed evidence of this or just calculations ?

Does this mean that particles crashing against our atmosphere actually creates black holes ?

Is there any observed evidence of this or just calculations ?

I'm saying that higher energy particles impact on our atmosphere' date=' and people detect them. So, IF a black hole can be created by such interactions, the Brookhaven scientists are probably not putting us at additional risk.

I'm saying that higher energy particles impact on our atmosphere, and people detect them. So, IF[/b'] a black hole can be created by such interactions, the Brookhaven scientists are probably not putting us at additional risk.
I don't think they are putting us at additional risk and I understand that that was the point of Your post.

I just wondered if it is commonly belived that particles can create black holes in the atmosphere or not ?

(And if already has been proven to or not ?)

No it wouldnt.

When I find the formula ill give it to you.

Unless you mean slowly chewing away at the earth for thousands of years.

Is this the one You are searching ? "r = 2 * C * m / c^2"

When inserting Earth mass the radius is only 9 millimeter.

It would still have the same gravitational pull as Earth, if brought to the surface it would displace Earth in its orbit around the Sun, create a gravity wave which would cause several large earthquakes, togheter with Earths gravity maybe pull the moon down, make buildings in the area to collapse, dig a big hole through the crust with magma flowing out, very fast reach the center of earth and then pass it like "the jumper in the hole through Earth question" and problably reach surface someplace on the other side, wreak havoc there and then turn around to go through the Earth again and again and again, all the way creating large earthquakes and chewing faster and faster as it grows, until Earth is gone. I hardly belive it will take thousands of years.

Of course the BH is sloppy eaters so big parts of the Earth may be ripped off and tossed away in space in all directions but I don't expect anyone to survive on one of them.

• 3 weeks later...
You can find the corresponding science article of Horatiu Nastase here.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0501/0501068.pdf

I doubt we'll be seeing any black holes on Earth soon...

What it basically boils down to is probably a matter of density. You still need more mass.

I've been to RHIC, relativistic heavy ion collider Long Island New York.

They are closing it down, it was just in the news recently.

Are they closing it down because of something to do with black holes?

Thank you