Space Ends

zazzzoom

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buzsaw thats just it, they don't believe that that is the border, besides the fact that that border expands by about 1 ly every year, there is no evidence to show that the universe ends there. so it is logical to think that the universe goes on after 13.6 billion years

But as I read your last post, it appeared by your wording that you believe that the border (boundary) to the universe's space is the edge of the hubble volumn. This is what you said: ....... the "border" to space that your seeking would be the edge of the hubble volume,......... So in your opinion, is it or isn't it the border/boundary?

the idea that the universe is infinite is the mainstream viewpoint of the scientific community.

Go over and tell it to Percy's EvC (evolution vs creation) board. My contention that the universe's space was infinitely volumnous got me into hot water over there. After all, if the universe is infinite, it's existing space must also be infinite.

But as I read your last post, it appeared by your wording that you believe that the border (boundary) to the universe's space is the edge of the hubble volumn. This is what you said: ....... the "border" to space that your seeking would be the edge of the hubble volume,......... So in your opinion, is it or isn't it the border/boundary?

sorry I thought that you were trying to say that the universe really is finite, hence why I said the "border to space that your seeking would be the edge of the hubble volume.

the idea that the universe is finite is something that has been propagated by laymen because of the whole "the universe is expanding" thing (which it is, its just that each section is expanding ie. 1 cubic lightyear over the course of a few million years will become 2 or 3 cubic lightyears (have no idea on the math of it)), the universe is infinite.

if you need a reference there was a special issue of scientific american that came out just a few months ago with an article about it.

sorry I thought that you were trying to say that the universe really is finite, hence why I said the "border to space that your[/u'] seeking would be the edge of the hubble volume.

I don't know where you got it that I was arguing for a finite universe. How can a finite universe have boundless space, all existing space being inclusive in the term universe? :confused:

the idea that the universe is finite is something that has been propagated by laymen because of the whole "the universe is expanding" thing (which it is, its just that each section is expanding ie. 1 cubic lightyear over the course of a few million years will become 2 or 3 cubic lightyears (have no idea on the math of it)), the universe is infinite.

I can understand that sections of the universe can expand, but for the life of me I cannot understand how the whole thing/universe's existing infinite space can expand, or for that matter how anything infinite can have borders/boundarys that allegedly expand. Imaginary borders based on the hubble visible volumn doesn't cut that. That simply implies that when our telescopes become more powerful the imaginary border again expands to the new visible volumn from planet earth.

I don't know where you got it that I was arguing for a finite universe. How can a finite universe have boundless space' date=' all existing space being inclusive in the term universe? :confused:

I can understand that [i']sections[/i] of the universe can expand, but for the life of me I cannot understand how the whole thing/universe's existing infinite space can expand, or for that matter how anything infinite can have borders/boundarys that allegedly expand. Imaginary borders based on the hubble visible volumn doesn't cut that. That simply implies that when our telescopes become more powerful the imaginary border again expands to the new visible volumn from planet earth.

space ends or it doesn't

when they try to take both sides they just look foolish

space ends and it has a shape

let's see all your great evidence that space is infinite!

First you need to state what the properties of the end of space, i.e. border/boundary, are so we know what we're talking about and so I'll know what evidence you are requesting.

"that is what everyone has always believed that space is infinite and that is a big reason to believe that is wrong"

You know what, you've convinced me. You really have. Likewise, I now believe that I have two heads, 2+2=19.1032, and when you jump, you fall up. After all, everyone has always believed these things to be wrong, so they must be right.

Cabiterol, mind giving evidence? Its interesting.

Also, I was under the impression that the universe, due to its amount of mass, is curved into a saddle-shape, because a cosmological constant, can't remeber which one, was less than one. However, what DOES saddle-shaped mean under this context?

space ends or it doesn't

when they try to take both sides they just look foolish

space ends and it has a shape

Space doesn't have any borders.

If you were to fly in the same direction and keep flying you would eventually come back to were you began.

Space does however have a finite volume, mass and energy.