Cannabis Vs Prozac

NavajoEverclear

Just wondering, what is the comparison between the effects? They could both possibly be used to treat the same illnesses. Knowing its less dangerous than alcohol is enough to make me think it is completely ridiculous not to legalize it. If you only use it say a two or three times a month, it wouldn't even have a significant effect on health from the somewhat damaging smoke. Probably nowhere near as deadly as fast food. I'm just trying to establish the degree of idiocy and hypocricy there is in this war against drugs, which i may agree with for harder drugs that are actually addicting, but if you legalized simple marajauna i think that people wouldn't care so much about trying to find a better high. Also think about various drugs, sometimes cannibis, as their role in tribal cultures. Nobody in a tribe gets addicted. They use them for special ceremonies. They have a timing thing down and a control. It's hardly about the same thing as it has been made in our society. Escaping reality to another form of consciousness, yes, but its for spiritual reasons, and again its not like they light up everyday, they know how to pace it.

Kay sorry i got sidetracked there. I just want to know the similarities and differences between marajuana and legal drugs which are fairly easy to get a prescription for.

Differences between marijuana and legal drugs?

Well, you need to be more specific when you say "legal drugs". In general, drugs within the same class have similar effects.

However to answer your question, marijuana is completely different than "legal drugs".

If you've ever smoked, ingested, or otherwise experienced the subjective effects of marijuana it would be safe to say, that it is different than say, taking aspirin.

Pharmacologically speaking (in an oversimplified manner) marijuana acts through cannabinoid receptors. Off hand, I cannot recall any "legal drugs" which work this way, although I'm sure if anyone has info to the contrary, they will provide it.

Why would I measure the effects of aspirin versus marijuana? Because the last sentence of the initial thread was:

I just want to know the similarities and differences between marajuana and legal drugs which are fairly easy to get a prescription for.

Now to answer the thread question of "marijuana VS. Prozac" the same argument holds true. The subjective effects of antidepressants and marijuana are very different (this can be extended to habit forming potential and health risks although that is a much more lengthy discussion). Additionally, the mechanisms of action are quite different, antidepressants working primarily through serotonergic/norepinephrine neurotransmitter systems; marijuana through cannabinoid receptors.

The subjective effects of antidepressants and marijuana are very different (this can be extended to habit forming potential and health risks although that is a much more lengthy discussion).[

very well if my question is flawed, i haven't tried either of the drugs. Just try to answer it best as you can. Which drug are you talking about being habit forming and risky to health? This time i did a little research :

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen, a psychiatrist who has a private practice and also works for Harvard University Health Services, sees this antidepressant mania as dangerous, even reckless. He notes that these drugs can have severe side effects, including uncontrollable facial and body tics, which could be signs of severe and permanent brain damage. About 50 percent of patients suffer often-debilitating withdrawal symptoms from them, and about 60 percent end up with sexual dysfunction.

The severe side effects may be a rarity, but 50 and 60 percent? Thats a frightening fact. Also i know a lot of prescription drugs cause long term damage to the liver and such. I know this is in some ways similar to marajuana, (in most cases not as severe but we can set that asside) but if you only use it say a few times a month, health risks can be decreased. Marajuana is proven less addictive than alcohol, which is legal. Look it up in an encyclopedia or something (wikipedia was my source). So saying it is habit forming is not a valid point.

Remember some people can smoke a significant amount of cigarettes REGULARLY and have less health issues than caused by fast food. Marajuana if used alone of coarse has none of the toxic chemicals cigarettes do. No dosage of marajauna has ever been lethal to humans (as in at once), but you overdose on prescription medications. Again i'm only suggesting occasional use of cannabis. Perhaps at the fequency it might be used in a tribal culture, as i mentioned.

So please answer my question as best as you have knowledge to, i'm sorry if my question wasn't educated, if i knew everything i wouldn't have asked. Also i never said they were similar. I asked what the similarities and differences were. Meaning in all respects-- addiction, effects on consciousness, long term effects, everything. If the similarities be few, say so. Please read a post before answering it. And when answering it would be nice if you tried to give information to the best of your knowledge concerning what i obviously wanted to know, instead of telling me that i dont know what i'm talking about. Like i said i know i'm not sure what i'm talking about thats why i asked.

When it comes to addictive attributes, the results are completely subjective. Some people have a higher tolerance and will tend to ingest more to reach a certain level of... alteration. For others, very little is needed and these people will always shy away from higher doses. It's the same for alcohol, nicotine and many other poisonous substances. Make any illegal drug legal and there will be abuse by the high-tolerance types.

The current ban on cannibis goes well beyond it's narcotic effects. Why put a ban on all hemp when it's only certain varieties that produce a narcotic effect? Legalizing hemp in the US would disrupt industries ranging from logging and cotton to alcohol and medical drugs. Lobbyists for hemp legalization will have to be stronger than all those other industries combined. As George Carlin says, they always forget where they left the petitions.

From what little I know about Prozac, doesn't it curb the extremes of emotions? You don't get too sad, but you also don't get too happy either. This doesn't sound like cannibis to me. While pot may keep people from exhibiting an excess of anger, it tends to help one recognize exteme euphoria.

To me there is a big difference between elation and lack of depression.

thanks for the info. I want to change this thread to comparing Marajuana to Alchohol. I think i've heard a little about it already. Less aggression? sounds like a positive difference to me. What are the other positive or negative differences/ similarities

No fair! You don't get to direct the thread just because you are OP. :D These things have their own natural flow.

For instance, I want to address the SSRIs vs. pot. I've done both. Pot only a little. SSRIs at the behest of those legal pushers called doctors. Given a choice again, I would prefer the pot and I don't smoke and I hate to inhale.

SSRIs have serious withdrawal effects. Been there; done that. :-( You aren't supposed to dump them all at once. You have to taper off under medical supervision.

Sometimes we getter better living through chemistry. Sometimes we get hell. Believe me, if you can do without drugs that play with your brain chemistry, you will have a happier and more fortunate life.

BYW, I had a student who flunked freshman comp because he was too busy consuming peyote to write his research paper.

wait i'm confused, prozac is an SSRI and your first post you implied they weren't comparable? what are you smoking? also, what about not inhaling? thats what clinton said, how do you not inhale unless you're eating it? i mean you can vaporize it, but you still have to breath it.

i do like you're advice about being drug free, but the thing is get me a girlfriend, and i'll stop asking for pot. I don't know what my f***ing problem is, most of my friends are girls but relationships never work out. I might as well be gay, but i'm to fascinated with femininity. Do i have to treat them like an object to keep them? i thought thats what they didn't want goddammit

wait i'm confused' date=' prozac is an SSRI and your first post you implied they weren't comparable? what are you smoking? also, what about not inhaling? thats what clinton said, how do you not inhale unless you're eating it? i mean you can vaporize it, but you still have to breath it.

i do like you're advice about being drug free, but the thing is get me a girlfriend, and i'll stop asking for pot. I don't know what my f***ing problem is, most of my friends are girls but relationships never work out. I might as well be gay, but i'm to fascinated with femininity. Do i have to treat them like an object to keep them? i thought thats what they didn't want goddammit[/quote']

You may have confused me with Badchad, who has a more scientific POV. I just posted one question and then my personal experience. I will say that both drugs seem to have amotivational effects. However, if I were motivated by nature, I wouldn't be at my computer posting in forums when I could be asleep.

Girls are a little off-topic here, but I think they bear even less similarity to marijuana than Prozac. I could probably tell you a great deal about women. I am one. But Sayonara would then no doubt move this thread to the General Discussion Forum.

Okay.

I think that most people separate the idea of friendship and romance fairly definitively when they are young. I see you are 18 and therefore must be dealing with girls about that age. At that age, girls really want something exciting and romantic to happen in their lives, especially right after high school. They want life to begin. Friendships they already know. Maybe they know some experimentation with relationships with boys. This stuff is familiar. What they usually do not know is that great passsion they are looking for. (Nevermind that they may have had other great passions. Nothing is deader than passion past.)

So if you are a nice gentlemanly fellow who doesn't like to be pushy and is maybe a little shy, you will be establishing friendship. Which is, in the opinion of someone as old as I, not at all a bad basis for a relationship. Trouble is, with girls around my daughter's age (22) or younger, once you fit yourself into the friendship category, you may have trouble being seen any other way.

Now the best thing to do is learn to achieve a friendship that establishes trust and the beginning of romance. (Forgive me if I am not addressing directly your most pressing concerns, but I am old fashioned and like the word romance.) How to do that? The absolutely best way I know to do this is good humor and mild flirting. These are very much related. Learn to establish that your interest may be more than friendship alone early in an acquaintance by being warm, humorous, and caring. Add a little teasing and a companionable arm around the shoulder. And then, once you have their attention ask them out if you are so inclined. If you are not inclined, prepare to spend some time alone. The world has not evolved to the point where guys and girls do equal asking.

A friend of mine once said that if men read romance novels they would learn to seduce women. I very much disagreed with her. What works in books sounds silly in real life. Instead, in my opinion, people of both sexes wanting to learn more about how to appeal to the opposite sex should watch a movie called "The Horse Whisperer." Don't watch the relationship between the man and the woman. You will only learn a little from that. Watch the relationship between the man and the horse.

Don't watch the relationship between the man and the woman. You will only learn a little from that. Watch the relationship between the man and the horse.
Moving this thread to the bestiality forum....

Seriously, I begin to see a pattern here that is very common. To keep this related to General Medicine, I'll start out by saying that any drug that alters one's mood is likely to give a false impression of your personality. Coral is absolutely right that women your age are looking for something beyond friendship, even if it isn't a fully committed relationship, but women of any age want honesty.

A couple of friends come to mind here. One was hilariously funny and could keep women in stitches and hanging all over him, but only after he'd had about three beers. If the same women saw him sober, he was different, not as funny (at least not right away--give him time and he would warm up to it). When his confidence started to lag, he'd drink more and eventually go over the line. He overcompensated because he thought things were easier for him when he was drunk.

Another friend would put women on a pedastle, trying to come off like James Bond to impress the ladies. He was a very nice guy but didn't trust that his normal self would be enough. He was great in the beginning of a relationship, but eventually the facade became too hard to keep up. His real personality would peek through, and while it was a good one, it wasn't what he advertised in the first place. Women would dump him because they sensed he wasn't being honest.

After a lot of turmoil, both friends are doing OK. The first one started going to AA and has 12 years of sobriety. The second friend got married a couple of years ago to a great woman who loved his real personality.

His real personality would peek through' date=' and while it was a good one, it wasn't what he advertised in the first place. Women would dump him because they sensed he wasn't being honest.

After a lot of turmoil, both friends are doing OK. The first one started going to AA and has 12 years of sobriety. The second friend got married a couple of years ago to a great woman who loved his real personality.[/quote']

Phi for All, I think what you are saying is showing what's real will get you something real. I agree. But I wouldn't 18 again for anything. Twenty-five, yes. I would like 25. ;)

I wouldn't 18 again for anything. Twenty-five, yes. I would like 25. ;)
You are SO right, Coral. 15-20 is all about games and only thinking you're mature. 25 is much better.

But, only if I get to know what I know now. Wouldn't we be forces to be reckoned with our experience in a 25 body?

Sweeeeeeeeet!

You are SO right' date=' Coral. 15-20 is all about games and only [i']thinking[/i] you're mature. 25 is much better.

But, only if I get to know what I know now. Wouldn't we be forces to be reckoned with our experience in a 25 body?

Sweeeeeeeeet!

Boy did you say it! At least I wouldn't remarry my ex. I married him at 19. It should be against the law to get married at 19. Why is pot illegal but getting married at 19 is not? :rolleyes:

My ex was on Prozac and she just seemed to get even more pshychotic from it. I would recommend staying away from it.

As for Marijuana though, I know so many people that do it and they have never had any adverse side effects. It should be legalized.

The U.S. Government already grows their own. What's up with that?