Electrochemistry : battery

Externet

Hi everyone.

From what I remember, the highest electronegativity differential between two metals, the larger the voltage obtainable in a battery when those metals are used as its anode and cathode. Did I remember well?

Using easy to get and cheap materials; as aluminium, copper, iron, carbon, lead, zinc... which two would yield the highest potential ¿lead and copper?

Am trying to build a simple seawater cell to activate an ultrasonic beacon at expense of the electrodes. :rolleyes:

An electronic circuit transforms the cell output to a higher voltage for circuit operation. Current capability is proportional to electrodes area.

Thanks,

Miguel

Hi.

Battery was an improper term, it will be a single cell (two rods or plates) protuding from a PVC pipe housing the electronics, exposed to seawater flow, submerged at no less than 10 feet depth.

A photocell turns the unit off at nights.

What would be the reaction ? If C and Zn, Na+ and Cl-

Miguel

"From what I remember, the highest electronegativity differential between two metals, the larger the voltage obtainable in a battery when those metals are used as its anode and cathode. Did I remember well?"

electronegativity doesn't determine cell voltage potential difference. reduction and oxidation potentials do. there is correlation between electronegativity and oxidation and reduction potentials, but this does not work in multiple cases