Radical Islam: What is the main cause?

Vexen

So then we ARE all in agreement ?

There are causes other than religion, and holy book teachings which are responsible for Islamic radicalism.

That was Vexen's original premise, was it not ?

I want to know the central cause for radicalisation in Muslim culture. What contributes the most to this. We established that there are many causes but does how much does foreign policy and religious ideology contribute to radicalisation?

Why does radical Islam dominant the news so often?

Few people on this forum seem interested in this topic. Most opinions I've read are poorly informed.

Several things are likely to be relevant:

1) it does not benefit the discussion to talk about muslims as a blanket group as they are muslims in very different geopolitical, historic and socioeconomic situations. Muslims in Kosovo are typically in a very different situation from, say, Indonesia or Syria.

Political instability, (violent) opposing fractions, education levels, wealth etc. all contribute to varying degrees to radical ideologies. Religion is just another (if powerful) of these factors. It will be difficult to disentangle the cause and effects of these relationships. Trying to find a single main cause is likely not possible.

2) If something dominates the media it is because it is something that the audience wishes to see. Often in the context of some larger narrative. The Ebola scare on US soil was such a story. The overall narrative at least in part, is still feeding of the post 9/11 situation, the subsequent wars and so on. Also many other terrorist organizations that had headlines on a routine coverage quite a while ago (IRA, ETA. RAF) have all but retired, likewise cold war enemies, leaving islamic terrorism the most attractive foe to the scare people. Not that there are important issues underneath that need open discussion, but unfortunately the noise tends to drown out the sensible parts.

Just now, Charlie Hebdo attack.

10 journalists killed and 2 police officers killed.

The attacks said they were avenging the insults towards the prophet Muhammad.

Btw:

If you can't argue a point don't resort to degrading my reputation.

Edited by Vexen

!

Moderator Note

This is a forum for debate - and members are free to comment without restriction (although always within the forum rules) as long as they stick to the area of the OP. If you believe they are ill-informed then show that through refutation of their claim

Most of the people on this thread haven't even read anything on the topic yet they have an opinion. Don't comment if you don't know what you are talking about.

You cannot set requirements on those who participate in any thread; please do not chill the discussion by purporting to do so.

Do not respond to this moderation within the thread - report it if you feel it is unfair

Trying to find a single main cause is likely not possible.

Back up your absurd statement with evidence.

Most of the people on this forum are losers with uneducated opinions. I'm leaving this forum.

Edited by Vexen

The trouble I have seen with discussions about Islam is that they mostly tend to be either "Islam is terrible" or "Islam needs to go by force" with the initial view being seen as an apologist one. I do not like the religion and the abuses against women culturally in the region rooted in the religion. That said I do not want to kill them either. I don't think attempts to change a culture through violence will do anything but further radicalize it. If people in the West have a problem with the Middle East (home of Mecca) than they should use less oil products and vote for politicians that want to expand solar and wind. Work to stop sending theocracies trillions of dollars in oil revenue.

Most of the people on this forum are losers with uneducated opinions. I'm leaving this forum.

How is absurd to posit that complex situations are based on numerous factors? If you think there is one singular explanation, why don't you publish it and show all those scholars specialized in conflict research that you got the solution all along?

The trouble I have seen with discussions about Islam is that they mostly tend to be either "Islam is terrible" or "Islam needs to go by force" with the initial view being seen as an apologist one. I do not like the religion and the abuses against women culturally in the region rooted in the religion.

Here is the thing, abuses against women are endemic in many cultures. Christianity is deeply misogynist, and only in recent times have women been seeing as equal. The weird fetishism of female purity and virginity is not exclusive to Islam. It is true that it certainly does little to discourage it, which leads back to the issue that religion is probably not the best way to set up a modern society. That being said, there are likely deep cultural issues that promote violence rather than religion alone. To my knowledge Islamic countries have been late in providing legislature aimed at protecting women.

Note that for example in the US up to 1970s marital rape was exempted from ordinary rape charges and only 1993 have all states withdrawn the exemption. Considering the timeline of female rights in Western society compared to the overall time of the respective religion, I would think that having equality is actually quite an incredible feat and it will take time for a society to change toward that.

How is absurd to posit that complex situations are based on numerous factors? If you think there is one singular explanation, why don't you publish it and show all those scholars specialized in conflict research that you got the solution all along?

I gained absolutely nothing from reading everyone's opinion in this thread.

The only thing I gained was negative reputation. I shouldn't have started this thread. Delete it moderator.

Thanks for wasting my time.

Thank you for wasting everyone else's. FYI, one can follow a discussion without actively participating in it. What I have seen from you, however, is soapboxing, playing the martyr and thinking you have the one and only truth. Ironically, that is quite a religious stance.

Edited by Fuzzwood

Now clarify... Why do you find Charon's comment that there are MANY factors involved in radicalism and that motivations for each individual will be somewhat different... ergo finding a single monolithic one-dimensional cause or source for it all is a futile endeavor... to be "absurd?" I said the exact same thing myself when you created this thread.

This is a bizarre statement. To think there is EVER any one cause for a social effect is the uninformed position.

Read the introduction!

I wanted to discuss the MAIN cause. Do you people have a problem with reading? You people are idiots!

This is a bizarre statement. To think there is EVER any one cause for a social effect is the uninformed position.

But there is no single main cause. As people have been pointing out to you since the start of this thread, there are many different motivations and causes and they're different for each person. This remains true no matter how many times you lash out and call others ignorant for not providing a single (almost certain to be inaccurate and too generalized/oversimplified) motivating reason.

Edited by iNow

!

Moderator Note

Vexen

Do not insult the membership again.

...snip

...snip Do you people have a problem with reading? You people are idiots!

Do not respond to this moderation. If you feel it is unjust report this post.

Nobody read any of my ppsts before I started to loose it.

I posted scientific evidence that politics may be a pivotal factor in radicalisation. Everyone ignored that and proceeded with their own opinion.

I don't get it.

!

Moderator Note

Vexen Do not insult the membership again. Do not respond to this moderation. If you feel it is unjust report this post.

You're a loser.