why we still believe in a god

tylerbrowner

32 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

We can continue trading downvotes if you want, I couldn't give a shit either way, what matters to me, is why.

You don't answer on statements that matter and much of what you say concerns personal opinions which you think are 'the truth'.

12 minutes ago, Itoero said:

What does one verse matter?

There is a lot of disgusting stuff in the OT and for many Christians the OT is more significant then the NT. Do you deny this?

If they think the OT is more significant then the NT, then they are absolutely *not* Christians.

11 hours ago, Itoero said:

What does one verse matter?

There is a lot of disgusting stuff in the OT and for many Christians the OT is more significant then the NT. 

If you look for the bad/negative in anything, you'll find it but it will diminish you. Look for the good/positive and you'll find that too and it will enhance you.

YEC's may be ignorant but that doesn't mean their bad/evil.

Christians the OT is more significant then the NT. Do you deny this?

Yes of course, as I've previously stated the OT is the Jewish book, whatever significance they put on the OT they still call themselves Christians, not Jews.

Why not? Have you heard about young earth creationists?

Christians believe in Jesus Christ.

If they decline NT, and believe in OT exclusively, they can't be Christians, rather orthodox Jews.

YEC, have idea that Earth has been created ~ 6000 years ago, from work of Christian archbishop James Ussher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

Which is complete rubbish..

5730 years is half-life of radioisotope of Carbon C-14.

Edited by Sensei

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

If you look for the bad/negative in anything, you'll find it but it will diminish you. Look for the good/positive and you'll find that too and it will enhance you.

YEC's may be ignorant but that doesn't mean their bad/evil.

The problem is that the bad/negative stuff is also taught to people.

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Yes of course, as I've previously stated the OT is the Jewish book, whatever significance they put on the OT they still call themselves Christians, not Jews.

It's irrelevant where the OT book comes from, many Christians think it's very significant. The OT has it's origins in a Hebrew book but atm it's part of a Christian book. NT writers often quoted the OT. http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-old-testament-quoted-by-jesus-and-apostles.htm   Also, the first Christians were Jewish Christians, they arose from a Jewish movement.

Edited by Itoero

5 hours ago, Sensei said:

Christians believe in Jesus Christ.

If they decline NT, and believe in OT exclusively, they can't be Christians, rather orthodox Jews.

YEC, have idea that Earth has been created ~ 6000 years ago, from work of Christian archbishop James Ussher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ussher

Which is complete rubbish..

5730 years is half-life of radioisotope of Carbon C-14.

YEC's believe in Jesus Christ and don't decline the NT.  NT writers often quoted the OT. http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-old-testament-quoted-by-jesus-and-apostles.htm The NT and OT are both part of the Christian bible.

14 minutes ago, Itoero said:

It's irrelevant where the OT book comes from, many Christians think it's very significant. The OT has it's origins in a Hebrew book but atm it's part of a Christian book. Jesus and other NT writers often quoted the OT. http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-old-testament-quoted-by-jesus-and-apostles.htm   Also, the first Christians were Jewish Christians, they arose from a Jewish movement.

This entire tangent is irrelevant to the topic.

16 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The problem is that the bad/negative stuff is also taught to people.

How does that argue my point?

7 minutes ago, Itoero said:

You claim the bible teaches good behavior...but it also teaches bad behavior...then what's the point of the bible?

I also suggested that it depends on how one looks at it, but to answer your question, The point of any bible/book is to convey knowledge/entertainment.

59 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I also suggested that it depends on how one looks at it, but to answer your question, The point of any bible/book is to convey knowledge/entertainment.

Yes but what's the point of using a book that teaches good and bad behavior? Why not only good behavior?

Just now, Itoero said:

Yes but what's the point of using a book that teaches good and bad behavior?

That's your belief and negative thinking, All of Shakespeare's tomes contain good and bad behaviour, why would that invalidate his contribution?

On ‎5‎-‎8‎-‎2017 at 5:01 PM, dimreepr said:

That's your belief and negative thinking, All of Shakespeare's tomes contain good and bad behaviour, why would that invalidate his contribution?

So the fact that they teach children to distrust or discriminate atheists, you call a belief because of negative thinking? You have to explain that.

That invalidates its usefulness to educate children.

3 minutes ago, Itoero said:

So the fact that they teach children to distrust or discriminate atheists, you call a belief because of negative thinking? You have to explain that.

That invalidates its usefulness to educate children.

You can't change what parents teach their children, all you can do is persuade the children to become parents that don't perpetuate the cycle.

People believe in gods because they believe there's more to reality than science shows us. While there certainly may be more, I still don't get why it HAS TO BE gods.

Edited by Thorham

• 1 year later...

I do think a lot of people submit to religion out of fear. It's the fear that you are going to get your butt handed to you on a platter in the afterlife if you don't believe in the deity in this life. But say if I was a person who never hurt anyone, did everything to help others, and just live a clean life - would I still be left to suffer for not following a specific religion? You gotta be kidding me.

I think that there are two main reasons why certain people still believe in god;

The first reason is due to the assumption that humans are acataleptic by nature, meaning that they are facing with the real or apparent impossibility to arrive at certain knowledge or full comprehension. 

This being said, believers will always try to fill their lack of knowledge and understanding to a supernatural force beyond them and their existence. This is also known by the term "God of the Gaps".

The second reason is mortality salience, that is, the fear of mortality and death. That is why humans would rather live their whole life believing in a beautiful lie, than facing the ugly truth and harsh reality. 

I would also presume that besides fear, people are narcissists - as the self-claimed most intelligent creatures living on this planet, it is almost non acceptable for them to think that their end will be the same as the other animals, whom they consider as inferior.

However, this is just my personal opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment.

Edited by Space Babe

Most people probably believe in God because their parents/society....indoctrination.

Sharing a believe system can increase groupccohesion so in many societies the believe in a God can be a/the norm to be part of or accepted in the group.

Edited by Itoero

18 hours ago, Mawby said:

I do think a lot of people submit to religion out of fear. It's the fear that you are going to get your butt handed to you on a platter in the afterlife if you don't believe in the deity in this life.

6 minutes ago, Itoero said:

Most people probably believe in God because their parents/society....indoctrination.

I can't force beliefs and cultures change, despite indoctrination and fear...

16 hours ago, Space Babe said:

I would also presume that besides fear, people are narcissists - as the self-claimed most intelligent creatures living on this planet, it is almost non acceptable for them to think that their end will be the same as the other animals, whom they consider as inferior.

what religion is that?

45 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I basically agree. We can look at it philosophically and speculate about God being a projection of our (human) mortality or what ever but at the end of the day I don't think it is that deep. People believe in God because they were exposed to the idea of God as children and it stuck. Its no more or less complicated. 

Arguments can be made that the consistency of cultures around the world having gods implies the idea of a God plays an important role in human psychology but I think that's just minutiae. Different cultures around the world have versions of Bigfoot (Yeti, Abominable Snowman, Sasquatch, Yowie, Orang Pendek, etc) too yet that doesn't mean as an idea Bigfoot serves some greater purpose. We humans believe things we're told. We especially believe things we are told by people we have strong emotional connections to. It isn't complicated. 

Edited by Ten oz

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

what religion is that?

I am not necessarily talking about religion here, but rather explaining that people often see themselves as superior in comparison to the other living organisms on this planet. Therefore, this may be one of the reasons and possible motivations as to why people (of all religions) believe in an afterlife - they perceive their existence to be more relevant than the rest of the animals. Of course, this can also apply to atheists as well, but they perceive their place on this planet a bit differently.

In general, I don't think humans believe that there is an afterlife for animals as well. Except maybe in ancient times when people were polytheists and worshiped animals...

In other words, the psychology of human's self awareness and self-perceptions compared to the other living creatures may give us an explanation for the question why people believe in god.

But like I've said in my previous post, this is just my personal opinion. 

Edited by Space Babe