Jump to content

why we still believe in a god


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Itoero said:

Christianity and Islam are the biggest religions.(I counted them)  Many Christians can't forgive people for being atheist or homosexual. A good friend of mine lives in Italy with an Italian catholic girl. She was pregnant but the baby was unwanted. He proposed abortus and for saying that she sued him and they broke up for a while...being an Italian  catholic prevented her from acting like a normal person. She was indoctrinated as a child with religious 'morality'. The main story in Christianity is the one of Jesus's sacrifice...Why couldn't God just forgive people without a 'human' sacrifice? 

In Islam, apostates are most of the times punished and can even be killed...why cant they forgive people for apostasy? Most  Islam terrorism comes from the fact that they can't forgive people for being different...this difference creates imaginary social injustice. Or why can't they forgive people for making cartoons about Mohammad? (Charlie Hebdo)

What a strange post, filled with anecdote, unfounded claims, fanciful opinions and a fair amount of prejudice. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And you are an idiot if you think like that.

You mostly vomited bile and vitriol, that you mixed and set as concrete.

Is there God? No one has seen him, but can you feel his effect? Everyone does because everyone dies. All humans die someday because all humans are evil sinners. The wages of sin is death. Good is

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Area54 said:

What a strange post, filled with anecdote, unfounded claims, fanciful opinions and a fair amount of prejudice. :(

Unfounded claims...except for the anecdote I can back everything up. For many people those things are common knowledge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Itoero said:

Christianity and Islam are the biggest religions.(I counted them)  Many Christians can't forgive people for being atheist or homosexual. A good friend of mine lives in Italy with an Italian catholic girl. She was pregnant but the baby was unwanted. He proposed abortus and for saying that she sued him and they broke up for a while...being an Italian  catholic prevented her from acting like a normal person. She was indoctrinated as a child with religious 'morality'. The main story in Christianity is the one of Jesus's sacrifice...Why couldn't God just forgive people without a 'human' sacrifice? 

In Islam, apostates are most of the times punished and can even be killed...why cant they forgive people for apostasy? Most  Islam terrorism comes from the fact that they can't forgive people for being different...this difference creates imaginary social injustice. Or why can't they forgive people for making cartoons about Mohammad? (Charlie Hebdo)

4

Nevertheless, both teach forgiveness and tolerance; would you can blame the teacher if a student chooses a different path?

Edited by dimreepr
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Nevertheless, both teach forgiveness and tolerance; would you can blame the teacher if a student chooses a different path?

It sounds like the teacher failed to understand what religion is about and was unable to convey it to the student, both failed the exam. Perhaps the student realized his teacher was talking BS.

What is this god thing people are discussing on this thread that they still believe in? Is it a great spirit concept or the idea that the pope speaks for god on earth, like some roman emperor in a frock :) or perhaps something in the middle.

Can some one define what version of god or gods are being discussed here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Handy andy said:

It sounds like the teacher failed to understand what religion is about and was unable to convey it to the student, both failed the exam. Perhaps the student realized his teacher was talking BS.

What is this god thing people are discussing on this thread that they still believe in? Is it a great spirit concept or the idea that the pope speaks for god on earth, like some roman emperor in a frock :) or perhaps something in the middle.

Can some one define what version of god or gods are being discussed here.

Count the number of participants, multiply by pi and take the integer of the result to find how many are being discussed. It's a starting point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Handy andy said:

It sounds like the teacher failed to understand what religion is about and was unable to convey it to the student, both failed the exam. Perhaps the student realized his teacher was talking BS.

 

Just because some people ignore the teacher doesn't invalidate the lesson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Area54 said:

Because I have been taught by some of them.

 

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I don't, I just know the books do.

The books say a lot of other things as well and personal experiences don't say anything of what's going on in the rest of the world. Many Moslims teach their children apostasy and being gay deserves the death penalty. Many Christians teach their children to resent homosexuality...the bible states homosexuality deserves the death penalty.(Leviticus 20:13)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2017 at 6:31 PM, Handy andy said:

It sounds like the teacher failed to understand what religion is about and was unable to convey it to the student, both failed the exam. Perhaps the student realized his teacher was talking BS.

What is this god thing people are discussing on this thread that they still believe in? Is it a great spirit concept or the idea that the pope speaks for god on earth, like some roman emperor in a frock :) or perhaps something in the middle.

Can some one define what version of god or gods are being discussed here.

The logical the ever living god ?as mentioned in quran ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Itoero said:

 

The books say a lot of other things as well and personal experiences don't say anything of what's going on in the rest of the world. Many Moslims teach their children apostasy and being gay deserves the death penalty. Many Christians teach their children to resent homosexuality...the bible states homosexuality deserves the death penalty.(Leviticus 20:13)

If I remember correctly you said Christianity, Leviticus is part of the Jewish book. I don't want to get into the old debate about whether the OT should be included in the Bible, it's immaterial to the fact that the NT does indeed teach forgiveness and tolerance, as does the Quran. 

Edited by dimreepr
Link to post
Share on other sites

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
Allah! There is no God but He,
the Living, the Self-subsisting, the Eternal.
No slumber can seize Him, nor sleep.
All things in heaven and earth are His.
Who could intercede in His presence without His permission?
He knows what appears in front of and behind His creatures.
Nor can they encompass any knowledge of Him except what he wills.
His throne extends over the heavens and the earth,
and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them,
for He is the Highest and Most Exalted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People don't really like to think about why they are alive, some people are comfortable with the reality that they are given. God being the answer for why we exist, why we do what we do, our everyday emotions and troubles. It feels normal and being skeptical about it takes those meanings away, adding to the fact they are preoccupied with many other things. Work, love, play, and life, in general, having a meaning to associate with it isn't odd to them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

God must be a big hypocrite if he exists.

Many people, including me, don't want to live in this world anymore so how can God punish us for just being born into this planet without our consent and then punish us for what we become?

Just think about it: If God was really Omni-powerful and Omni-loving then why would he condemn humans into eternal suffering and eternal pain in Hell?

Edited by seriously disabled
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

If I remember correctly you said Christianity, Leviticus is part of the Jewish book. I don't want to get into the old debate about whether the OT should be included in the Bible, it's immaterial to the fact that the NT does indeed teach forgiveness and tolerance, as does the Quran. 

The OT is part of the bible, no need to discuss this. The stories (Isaac, Esau, Moses...)from in the OT is the first thing I learned at school and this counts I suppose for most people that got a Christian education..  The way many Christians treat atheists and the prejudices comes from the NT.(Ephesians 4:18)

Link to post
Share on other sites

This god thing to be honest makes no sense to most of us .You should sometimes look into Africa before you start calling god too much .

Then what are all these revelations ? the messages ?

That is what most of them are called , the messengers of GOD ...

Why is is most of the time only a message to humanity , and why is god hiding ?

Edited by bimbo36
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The OT is part of the bible, no need to discuss this. The stories (Isaac, Esau, Moses...)from in the OT is the first thing I learned at school and this counts I suppose for most people that got a Christian education..  The way many Christians treat atheists and the prejudices comes from the NT.(Ephesians 4:18)

Quote

17So I tell you this, and testify to it in the Lord: You must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. 18They are darkened in theirunderstanding and alienated from the lifeof God because of the ignorance that is inthem due to the hardness of their hearts.19Having lost all sense of shame, they have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity, with a craving for more.

As I said the OT is immaterial to this debate.

However, this can easily have a benign meaning/interpretation; if they dismiss forgiveness and tolerance and only seek revenge or hedonism, then there thinking should, quite rightly, be dismissed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bimbo36 said:

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
Allah! There is no God but He,
the Living, the Self-subsisting, the Eternal.
No slumber can seize Him, nor sleep.
All things in heaven and earth are His.
Who could intercede in His presence without His permission?
He knows what appears in front of and behind His creatures.
Nor can they encompass any knowledge of Him except what he wills.
His throne extends over the heavens and the earth,
and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them,
for He is the Highest and Most Exalted.

Assuming thrown is more of a metaphor, I guess you are not talking about a tea pot or a living breathing person then :) . By the historical actions throughout history I guess we are not relevant in the scheme of things, and are perhaps being presumptious to believe this god other than being every where is not going to help anyone who does not help themselves. I am going for quantum foam, and a mystical quantum computer existing all around us in space, that transmits all forces and makes up all things and is god. Could I be wrong?. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Itoero said:

 

The books say a lot of other things as well and personal experiences don't say anything of what's going on in the rest of the world. Many Moslims teach their children apostasy and being gay deserves the death penalty. Many Christians teach their children to resent homosexuality...the bible states homosexuality deserves the death penalty.(Leviticus 20:13)

And others don't. And yet others teach the opposite. So that seems a massively pointless comment. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

As I said the OT is immaterial to this debate.

However, this can easily have a benign meaning/interpretation; if they dismiss forgiveness and tolerance and only seek revenge or hedonism, then there thinking should, quite rightly, be dismissed. 

The OT is just as much part of the bible as is the NT. Interpretations have only a personal meaning, they have no scientific value.  Many people must have told this before but you keep repeating it. Just like your idea that secularity doesn't provide the  mental support that comes from religion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The OT is just as much part of the bible as is the NT. Interpretations have only a personal meaning, they have no scientific value.  Many people must have told this before but you keep repeating it. Just like your idea that secularity doesn't provide the  mental support that comes from religion.

Oh please stop trying to dodge the facts and straw manning my argument, whatever else the books say, are you seriously denying that either book teaches forgiveness and tolerance at some point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The OT is just as much part of the bible as is the NT.

But the signficance of the two Testaments, their relevance, their context, etc are quite different. It is entirely reasonable that you should be unaware of this since you have not studied them. However, it makes your pronouncements about them rather silly. It would be like me making declarations about the Kreb's cycle based on a half remembered wikipedia article. It may be possible to fashion an argument whose conclusions are similar to yours based upon the theology and practice of Christianity. It's just that such an argument would be quite different from the one you are using, in that it would be logical and based on fact, not fantasy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Itoero said:

The OT is just as much part of the bible as is the NT. Interpretations have only a personal meaning, they have no scientific value.  Many people must have told this before but you keep repeating it. Just like your idea that secularity doesn't provide the  mental support that comes from religion.

On reflection, the dishonesty of this post earns a -1.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.