Jump to content

why we still believe in a god


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And you are an idiot if you think like that.

You mostly vomited bile and vitriol, that you mixed and set as concrete.

Is there God? No one has seen him, but can you feel his effect? Everyone does because everyone dies. All humans die someday because all humans are evil sinners. The wages of sin is death. Good is

Posted Images

Just now, Baron d'Holbach said:

I gave you and other concrete evidence why we believe in God. 

Me Baron D'Holbach 

You mostly vomited bile and vitriol, that you mixed and set as concrete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DrP said:

I know - which is why I said that I agree with some of what you wrote. But try to drop the anger - ironically, the skills that let you drop your anger and give you the grace to forgive yourself and others can come out of certain religious beliefs. I learnt that from Christianity. There is much love to be observed.

.... okay I see what you trying to do. Okay find we will drop this philosophical discuss for the time being. 

 

But I will be back with even more devastating statements at my disposal 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks DrP. :)

Yes, I am another one of those pesky atheists who learned from personal experience that religion has many positive impacts on individuals and society. Like in most organizations, including those dedicated to atheism, it is the people on the extremes who are the problem. The people in the middle tend to focus on the positive aspects and go about their merry way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2017 at 9:17 PM, Itoero said:

I did not move the goalpost.

You said that the significance of the OT and NT are quite different in which I answered that YEC's have a different view concerning the significance....for them the OT is more significant then the NT.

Initially you attributed that different view to Christians in general and implied it was a view held my most/many of them. Then you attributed that view specifically to YECs. That is a perfect example of moving the goalposts. Since you refuse to acknowledge this I shall leave you to your own devices. I was looking for an honest discussion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Area54 said:

Initially you attributed that different view to Christians in general and implied it was a view held my most/many of them. Then you attributed that view specifically to YECs. That is a perfect example of moving the goalposts. Since you refuse to acknowledge this I shall leave you to your own devices. I was looking for an honest discussion.

I mentioned YEC's simply to show that Christians have different idea's concerning the significance of the OT and NT.

You said this "But the signficance of the two Testaments, their relevance, their context, etc are quite different. It is entirely reasonable that you should be unaware of this since you have not studied them. However, it makes your pronouncements about them rather silly."

=>You obviously think that your idea concerning the significance/relevance is the correct one. That's a mix of wishful thinking and  ignorance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quran says , there were there were 125,000 prophets or 125,000 messengers of GOD , including the messengers in the old testament and new testament .

People should focus on these messages that God has sent for the whole humanity instead of just one messenger or the so called son of GOD . If jesus is born to gabriel , isnt he also pretty close to the son of god .?

That is a confusing part even as a muslim if you think about it

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Quran says a lot of things..  like Mohamed went to heaven on a winged horse and struck the moon in two with a shout...  This is obviously rubbish, so why should we believe anything else it says. It is so far out of date it isn't funny that so many in the world let it rule there lives with it's barbaric shit like chopping off hands for theft and stuff.  At least the bible supercedes the barbaric shit in the old testament by introducing more love and peace in the New...  regardless - it's still demonstrably wrong so often it is time we all put it to the scrap heap, grow up and love one another as both books suggest (in places where they aren't telling you to kill or mutilate each other).

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a dream according to me ...

The kingdom of Saudi Arabia does that to people who do bad things .And not everyone considers the acts of Saudis as the last word when in comes to religion . Quran was sent to the people to follow not to the Saudis .

Peace and democracy is much more simple to follow , you don't need any religions to follow that

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bimbo36 said:

Quran was sent to the people to follow not to the Saudis .

Peace and democracy is much more simple to follow , you don't need any religions to follow that

 

I like this sentiment. But why even give the idea of something written over 1500 years ago any credence when it has so many obvious falsehoods, lies and errors? I understand that it is not even possible to question it in some countries on pain of death. It is very sad. Peace out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Itoero said:

I mentioned YEC's simply to show that Christians have different idea's concerning the significance of the OT and NT.

You said this "But the signficance of the two Testaments, their relevance, their context, etc are quite different. It is entirely reasonable that you should be unaware of this since you have not studied them. However, it makes your pronouncements about them rather silly."

=>You obviously think that your idea concerning the significance/relevance is the correct one. That's a mix of wishful thinking and  ignorance.

Ezekiel 25:17.

Quote

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children.

 

Well, looky here, something from the OT that's not demanding we all kill or hate each other, go figure...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Ezekiel 25:17.

Well, looky here, something from the OT that's not demanding we all kill or hate each other, go figure...

Nice one dimreepr. I'm giving up on Iotero. He's not worth the effort. Good luck if you choose to continue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Area54 said:

Nice one dimreepr. I'm giving up on Iotero. He's not worth the effort. Good luck if you choose to continue.

You are a very dishonest person.

This is what I said "Young earth creationists have probably a very different idea concerning the significance of the OT. The USA has probably more then 140 000 000 YEC...."

=>Instead of reacting on the fact that YEC Christians have a different idea concerning the significance of the OT, you ask for evidence for the nr YEC in US and you refuse to react on the original subject...yet you claim I changed the goalpost.

Edited by Itoero
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Itoero said:

You are a very dishonest person.

!

Moderator Note

You are free to disagree about and or characterize content of posts. But personal observations and insults are not permitted. Knock it off.

 

Do not respond to this in the thread.

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Handy andy said:

I think the thread is slipping. Here is an interesting scientific belief based on dark matter. Assuming the standard model is correct then dark matter must exist, here is a model to prove it. https://phys.org/news/2017-07-cosmologists-dark-dynamics.html . An alternative explanation would be if the standard model is incorrect then dark matter does not exist and what is being observed is a function of how space and gravity works. Quantum foam theory does not need dark matter https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_foam Which belief system is most likely correct?

1

Not even close to being on topic, it might be interesting but it should be in a separate thread if you want a reply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Not even close to being on topic, it might be interesting but it should be in a separate thread if you want a reply.

See above your post :) I deleted the content as soon as it dawned on me I was on the wrong thread. You must have taken time reading the links I deleted.

Ref the subject of the thread:) my current belief system is based on quantum foam, it is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, it is the lord your god. God froth beats god particles, or other imaginary gods, that sit on thrones etc in heaven. :)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Handy andy said:

See above your post :) I deleted the content as soon as it dawned on me I was on the wrong thread. You must have taken time reading the links I deleted.

 

Fair enough.

2 minutes ago, Handy andy said:

Ref the subject of the thread:) my current belief system is based on quantum foam, it is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, it is the lord your god. God froth beats god particles, or other imaginary gods, that sit on thrones etc in heaven. :)  

Is this supposed to mean something?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Fair enough.

Is this supposed to mean something?

It was meant to be amusing :) . An individual above quoted the Quran ref god being everywhere all powerful and all knowing. I merely drew a comparison with the Quran version god and quantum foam being everywhere and with the advent of quantum computing, I took the view that a space all around you full of quantum froth or virtual particles might be a quantum computer, like what god is claimed to be. As for omnipotent or all powerful, forces are transmitted through space which is made of quantum froth without which nothing would exist.

The thoughts amused me, and I thought I would share them. Apologies, the ideas did take me at least several seconds to think up. Also the god believers seem to be doing a poor job of defending their claims, and I was looking for some semi plausible idea of what peoples god or the great spirit concept might be, or not as the case might be :), to try and make there arguments more interesting.

 

 

Edited by Handy andy
grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Itoero, can you please tell me why you keep neg repping my posts (especially the last one) without having the decency to at least explain why?

We can continue trading downvotes if you want, I couldn't give a shit either way, what matters to me, is why.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.