why we still believe in a god

tylerbrowner

I never thought of it in that specific way before but it makes sense. I can't really think of a time someone told me about their feelings on some issue, then lamented the fact that God disagreed with them.

Well, you frequently hear of people lamenting the bad things that happen in the world and wondering why God allows them. The very things that seriously disabled listed as his reasons for presuming there is no God are used by others to feel down on God, and by yet others as just showing that "we don't understand God's plan," or that "God gave us free will and knew that we'd choose to use it for evil in some cases," etc.

Same starting point, at least three different conclusions.

So your goid didn't create the universe?

But there are plenty of ways around that argument (which is why people are considering them) apart from some mythical superbeing did it.

For someone so fond of "perfect logic" you do like to repeat the same illogical nonsense.

Well, it might be if there were any evidence for that eternal intelligence to start with.

to any one !~ your Father created you for the best of is '

'Knowledge'' Now !~ be your on God and do things right!++and be happy !~Your father (God)

created you with is image and is resemblance.

Edited by Roger Dynamic Motion

I never thought of it in that specific way before but it makes sense. I can't really think of a time someone told me about their feelings on some issue, then lamented the fact that God disagreed with them.

Well put zapatos, and well found iNow. I can't wait to be accosted by the next devoutee. I will ask, "Does God disagree with you about anything?" Priceless.

I still believe in God because I find the evidence God more compelling than the evidence for any competing hypotheses.

Evidence. You use the word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well put zapatos, and well found iNow. I can't wait to be accosted by the next devoutee. I will ask, "Does God disagree with you about anything?" Priceless.

Evidence. You use the word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

God ,the Pope for your Soul or God the president of the USA for your sake. Do not know ?

Which hypotheses compete with the God 'hypothesis'?

There aren't many, unfortunately, as atheism is a bit intellectually bankrupt. The most widespread is probably the multiverse theory. Of course, when I point out positing an infinite number of parallel universes to explain a single universe is essentially a reframed infinite turtles argument that's been prettied up with sciency-sounding language, that argument quickly fades away.

Witch God ? can help us the most to have a peaceful and happy live on Earth; while we still here a live :

Isn't that just a completely different question that shouldn't belong in this thread about why we still believe in a god? Can you try to focus, please?

There aren't many, unfortunately, as atheism is a bit intellectually bankrupt. The most widespread is probably the multiverse theory. Of course, when I point out positing an infinite number of parallel universes to explain a single universe is essentially a reframed infinite turtles argument that's been prettied up with sciency-sounding language, that argument quickly fades away.

The multiverse theory doesn't compete with concepts of god(s), so it's no wonder the argument fades so quickly.

You'll have to explain to me why you think atheism is intellectually bankrupt. It sounds like something you heard someone else say and thought it sounded cool. It means nothing, though. Atheism isn't a single stance, and it's not even a belief in most circumstances, but more a lack of belief. Theism is short on reason, so I wonder why you think it's intellectually superior to a-theism.

There aren't many, unfortunately, as atheism is a bit intellectually bankrupt. The most widespread is probably the multiverse theory.

What does the multiverse hypothesis have to do with atheism? I can't see any connection.

(You do realise that a lot of cosmologists are, and were, religious? Perhaps most notably, one of the founders of the big bang model was a priest and scientist.)

If God could do one good thing for me like making me good-looking and helping me get out of my financial and health troubles then I will believe that he exists.

And until that happens I will stand by the fact that there is no God.

There is too much misery and cruelty in this world in order for a God that cares about people to really exist.

Edited by seriously disabled

If God could do one good thing for me like making me good-looking and helping me get out of my financial and health troubles then I will believe that he exists.

And until that happens I will stand by the fact that there is no God.

There is too much misery and cruelty in this world in order for a God that cares about people to really exist.

Maybe he exists but has no interest in getting involved with our issues.

That doesn't rule out a god who doesn't care. Or one who is actively evil.

Perhaps God has killed The Creator and is now tormenting tormenting his creations.

Or maybe you are right and it doesn't exist.

I don't know and, to be honest, don't really care. It is not worth getting worked up about.

Well, if it's not based on evidence and reasoned investigation, what else is it?

Interesting conversation the other day during a restaurant meal, whereby a friend stated that evolution is false because dogs can't talk! Can't talk, which means they can't and couldn't survive on their own. Can't recall how the conversation got round to such, but I thought it best not to pursue the argument, and changed the subject to the food - which was rubbish!

With those knocking on the door about horses mating with donkeys a couple of weeks ago, for some reason I seem to have attracted a few arguments.

I'm sorry, but magic might be the word.

why we still belive in a god

Who is we ?

why we still believe in a god

Who is we ? I'm nor a religious but I do believe that God belong to many frames of mind .

Edited by Roger Dynamic Motion

• 3 weeks later...

God is awesome , god has promised us eternal life if we do good deeds .God is capable of judging us somehow

I don't believe she is awesome.

I don't believe her promises.

But I'm quite sure she, like everyone else, is capable of judges others. (Which is a bit sad.) But, compared to the jealous and vindictive god of the OT, I think I will come out OK.

I believe in the God of the cube ,

Hexahedron.gif

Surely Allah is not ashamed to set forth any parable– (that of) a Mosquito or any thing above that; then as for those who believe, they know that it is the truth from their Lord, and as for those who disbelieve, they say: What is it that Allah means by this parable: He causes many to err by it and many He leads aright by it! but He does not cause to err by it (any) except the transgressors.

image.jpg

Passion_Fruit_flower_on_the_vine_in_Hong

Recite in the name of your Lord who created -
Created man from a clinging substance.
Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous -
Who taught by the pen -
Taught man that which he knew not.
No! [but] indeed, man transgresses
Because he sees himself self-sufficient.
Indeed, to your Lord is the return.
Have you seen the one who forbids
A servant when he prays?
Have you seen if he is upon guidance
Or enjoins righteousness?
Have you seen if he denies and turns away -
Does he not know that Allah sees?
No! If he does not desist, We will surely drag him by the forelock -
A lying, sinning forelock.
Then let him call his associates;
We will call the angels of Hell.
No! Do not obey him. But prostrate and draw near [to Allah ].