why we still believe in a god

tylerbrowner

Well...

Football fans don't try and control what gets taught in school or pass laws limiting the rights of others or try and dictate everyone's morality because of their favorite team.

So in someways I suppose there is a little bit more to being a non theist than a non football fan...

Well...

Football fans don't try and control what gets taught in school or pass laws limiting the rights of others or try and dictate everyone's morality because of their favorite team.

So in someways I suppose there is a little bit more to being a non theist than a non football fan...

I feel bad for those who want to control everything, especially what other people choose to believe in, but sometimes their intentions can be god. As for me, i would only tell you that god is true, and he is the true answer, but i would never force anyone because god gave freewill.

if you're not a fan of football, you don't call yourself 'afootballist'

Which is why I don't really understand why the word "atheist" exists.

Because whether or not you believe in god, he is important.

Only to those who believe she exists.

To people who don't believe she exists, God is not important (but the fact that some people believe in her might be).

I feel bad for those who want to control everything, especially what other people choose to believe in, but sometimes their intentions can be god. As for me, i would only tell you that god is true, and he is the true answer, but i would never force anyone because god gave freewill.

Explain "choose to believe", is that like pretending or trying to convince yourself you believe? Nothing I know/believe is by choice...

You would never force anyone perhaps but religion is all about evangilzing.

Free will, that's an entire other discussion...

Explain "choose to believe", is that like pretending or trying to convince yourself you believe? Nothing I know/believe is by choice...

You would never force anyone perhaps but religion is all about evangilzing.

Free will, that's an entire other discussion...

I'm sorry, i meant that those who force others to conform to their beliefs may have 'good' intentions, not 'god' intentions.

i would never force anyone, but i would be very happy if people believed in what i do, as it has been beneficial for me.

i mean that god doesn't directly make his presence felt, so some people question god. and we were given the ability to question things.

• 2 months later...

I used to be an atheist until I learned in quantum mechanics that something can really come from nothing. The vacuum isn't empty because where there is supposedly empty space there are constant quantum fluctuations with virtual particles continually popping in and out of existence.

In fact, our entire universe might be a hologram or something like this.

So if virtual particles can come from nothing (and they do it all the time) then why can't God?

I used to be an atheist until I learned in quantum mechanics that something can really come from nothing. The vacuum isn't empty because where there is supposedly empty space there are constant quantum fluctuations with virtual particles continually popping in and out of existence.

In fact, our entire universe might be a hologram or something like this.

So if virtual particles can come from nothing (and they do it all the time) then why can't God?

presumably, by the same argument you also believe in unicorns, the FSM; monsters under the bed; honest politicians, and a whole lot of other things.

if you're not a fan of football, you don't call yourself 'afootballist', you don't go to great lengths to discuss god, and why you don't believe in god. Because whether or not you believe in god, he is important.

I'm not a football fan, but quite a few of my friends are.

Unfortunately for me, they insist on discussing it where I want them to or not and they seem to think it's important.

As it happens none of us is a fan of kabaddi so we don't waste time discussing it.

The irony is that people say (wrongly) that atheism is a religion but those same people wouldn't try to say that I'm a sports fan who supports "Absolutelynobody united" or "NoKabaddiTeam".

(For those who don't know of it, kabaddi is another team game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi

John Cuthber,

My knowledge is only based on what I read in advanced physics articles in Wikipedia.

However I must admit that I'm just not smart enough to be able to understand the complex mathematics of quantum mechanics, classical electromagnetism, special relativity, quantum field theory, general relativity, particle physics and string and superstring theory.

Although there are many books on this subject, this books are quite too expensive for me and I just don't have the money and the time to learn all of this.

That is why in the world we live in, going for theoretical and mathematical physics is not a very smart career choice in my opinion and that is because theoretical and mathematical physicists do not make a lot of money compared to say someone who got a job in fields like economics, management, finance or industry, for example.

Edited by seriously disabled

John Cuthber,

My knowledge is only based on what I read in advanced physics articles in Wikipedia.

However I must admit that I'm just not smart enough to be able to understand the complex mathematics of quantum mechanics, classical electromagnetism, special relativity, quantum field theory, general relativity, particle physics and string and superstring theory.

Although there are many books on this subject, this books are quite too expensive for me and I just don't have the money and the time to learn all of this.

That is why in the world we live in, going for theoretical and mathematical physics is not a very smart career choice in my opinion and that is because theoretical and mathematical physicists do not make a lot of money compared to say someone who got a job in fields like economics, management, finance or industry, for example.

There is more to life than money.

And you didn't address my point.

Money is indeed everything from an evolutionary psychology point of view.

Humans have evolved to compete for resources in order to survive so money is indeed everything I believe.

Also if money makes someone happy then money is indeed everything for that person.

Money get also get you beautiful women and money can get you a lot of other things which are important for survival or happiness.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I wonder if I did something wrong in a past life that people treat me so badly.

My life just sucks in every possible way. I have absolutely nothing good going for me except all the pain and the suffering.

I guess that life is just extremely unfair for some of us.

I fear that when my parents die, I will become a wanderer, a walker. I'll be homeless and end up dying of starvation because my lack of will to survive.

Sometimes I wonder if I did something wrong in a past life that people treat me so badly.

My life just sucks in every possible way. I have absolutely nothing good going for me except all the pain and the suffering.

Assuming you're not playing devil's advocate, we live in paradise. Living in paradise is something I believe Al Bean remarked upon after returning from the Moon. And similarly with Mike Collins as he exited the Apollo 11 Capsule after his return from the Moon: you've got a nice blue ocean down here on Earth.

As for a hard life, the all Coots on the local river near me lost all their young - presumably to predators. And what do they do? Start again almost immediately, to the effect that they are resitting on eggs. And then that TV prog (UK) the other day where I think David Attenborough mentioned that 90% of Ostrich nests end up being destroyed. And then there's the Mason Bee grubs in my garden possibly being eaten alive by the Gasteruption Jaculator parasite! One could go on.

Life is not unfair.

I'll be homeless and end up dying of starvation because my lack of will to survive.

The great news is, you only have to fix this one thing and the rest will work out great.

The best news is, you're the only one who can do it, and since you're smart, you'll figure it out.

In my opinion God/Christianity is the same as any other story, but it incorporates tradition, power, etc into it's writing, meaning people can live with it ( because it says "Pick up..." a few times and people can do it; example ). The bible had a head-start over other stories, I imagine it was one of the first, published to a majority, books, and it still goes on today, giving it antique value, and this list can go on forever - the amount of value-attribution to God.

I wrote this yesterday,

"God isn't a necessary for morality, justice is. God isn't a necessary for heaven and earth, righteousness is.
God is all these things to you, honor, respect, etc. included, but calling them God is an understatement. A lesser wisdom than them all together, ineffable."

I firmly believe in this.

-s13ep

• 1 year later...

I believe in god. I believe in creator of universe.

You believe in two things/beings then, freekundli..?

I know I should not be responding to such an old thread. Seeing that freekundli thought it appropriate to elevate it to the top again, let me just say that looking at this I cannot help to observe that it was such a bizarre post with so many flawed statements stuffed into it:

In my opinion God/Christianity is the same as any other story, but it incorporates tradition, power, etc into it's writing, meaning people can live with it ( because it says "Pick up..." a few times and people can do it; example ). The bible had a head-start over other stories, I imagine it was one of the first, published to a majority, books, and it still goes on today, giving it antique value, and this list can go on forever - the amount of value-attribution to God.

I wrote this yesterday,

"God isn't a necessary for morality, justice is. God isn't a necessary for heaven and earth, righteousness is.

God is all these things to you, honor, respect, etc. included, but calling them God is an understatement. A lesser wisdom than them all together, ineffable."

[Facepalm]

• 8 months later...

If God really existed then he would make many miracles for humanity like:

1. Help humanity get off this planet and live on other planets.

For example God could make other planets that are currently not habitable habitable for humanity and then transport us there by using his own miraculous power.

2. Also if God existed then he would help humanity economically. For example God could manufacture computers without intensive human labor requited to do it.

3. Also if God existed he would make people live forever (without aging) and maybe he could bring dead people back to life.

Perhaps God could also make an ugly-looking person suddenly turn good-looking by using his divine power.

The fact that miracles do not happen and the fact that God does not help people in their daily struggles, whether economically, socially, medically or financially that to me kinda proves that God does not exist.

If God really existed then he would make many miracles for humanity like:

1. Help humanity get off this planet and live on other planets.

For example God could make other planets that are currently not habitable habitable for humanity and then transport us there by using his own miraculous power.

2. Also if God existed then he would help humanity economically. For example God could manufacture computers without intensive human labor requited to do it.

3. Also if God existed he would make people live forever (without aging) and maybe he could bring dead people back to life.

Perhaps God could also make an ugly-looking person suddenly turn good-looking by using his divine power.

The fact that miracles do not happen and the fact that God does not help people in their daily struggles, whether economically, socially, medically or financially that to me kinda proves that God does not exist.

Certainly not trying to enter this debate on the "yes, God exists" side, because I don't think it's provable, but I'm very interested in how you are able to know what "God would want." I read your argument as you listing the things you would like to see, and presuming that if God existed he'd automatically share your desires.

I read your argument as you listing the things you would like to see, and presuming that if God existed he'd automatically share your desires.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly how it works for just about anyone and everyone who believes in god(s).

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2009/11/30/creating-god-in-ones-own-image/#.WS1o17FOmhA

I never thought of it in that specific way before but it makes sense. I can't really think of a time someone told me about their feelings on some issue, then lamented the fact that God disagreed with them.