why we still believe in a god

tylerbrowner

Man has been forced to vegetate in his primitive stupidity: he has been taught stories about invisible powers upon whom his happiness was supposed to depend. Occupied solely by his fears, and by unintelligible reveries, he has always been at the mercy of priests, who have reserved to themselves the right of thinking for him, and of directing his actions.

By Baron D'Holbach

Edited by Baron d'Holbach

Religion has ever filled the mind of man with darkness, and kept him in ignorance of his real duties and true interests. It is only by dispelling the clouds and phantoms of Religion, that we shall discover Truth. 

Truth is not religion or any monstrous sky gods. 

The fall of man is in the belief of a sky god. 

By Baron D'Holbach

It is thus religion infatuates man from his infancy, fills him with vanity and fanaticism: if he has a heated imagination it drives him on to fury; if he has activity, it makes him a madman, who is frequently as cruel to himself, as he is dangerous and incommodious to others: if, on the contrary, he be phlegmatic or of a slothful habit, he becomes melancholy and is useless to society.

"The definition of a god is the downfall of mankind"

By Baron D'Holbach

You can edit a previous post  -  you don't have to have 6 consecutive ones you know?

Are these your own musings or cut and pasted quotes? They look like quotes  -  You should probably acknowledge the original authors.

20 minutes ago, DrP said:

You can edit a previous post  -  you don't have to have 6 consecutive ones you know?

Are these your own musings or cut and pasted quotes? They look like quotes  -  You should probably acknowledge the original authors.

It is by me Baron D'Holbach. The father of atheism. The man who put fear to meek, timid religious zealots. The sheep's who get on their knees to let others take advantage of them. 

My words brings explosions of nuclear blast to the face of timid religious zealots 

No need to debate about imaginary phantoms. And the imaginary friends that the meek and timid zealots created from their feeble minds. 

Be Free man. Follow common sense and the pursuit of justice of common sense. Not fear and delusional thoughts that brings upon error. 

43 minutes ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

If the ignorance of nature gave birth to such a variety of gods, the knowledge of this nature is calculated to destroy them.

39 minutes ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

How could the human mind progress, while tormented with frightful phantoms, and guided by men, interested in perpetuating its ignorance and fears?

"God is the foundation for the fall of mankind"

Hatred and greed are much more likely to destroy humanity than religion, for instance, global warming is not lead by religions; we've had thousands of years lead by various religions, but only a couple of hundred years lead by profit. 

43 minutes ago, DrP said:

I doubt anyone of substance would publish such ignorant BS.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I doubt anyone of substance would publish such ignorant BS.

Being fair - I agree with some of it...  it is just that it seems full of hate and bitterness..  which I do no like. And some of it is clearly wrong or obviously just opinion anyway.

I am not sure why it needs spreading out over so many posts either when one can edit one's earlier post quite easily. I'm sure the mods won't like that...  especially as it is pretty preachy (or anti preachy  -  soap boxy anyway).  

Just now, DrP said:

Being fair - I agree with some of it...  it is just that it seems full of hate and bitterness..  which I do no like. And some of it is clearly wrong or obviously just opinion anyway.

I am not sure why it needs spreading out over so many posts either when one can edit one's earlier post quite easily. I'm sure the mods won't like that...  especially as it is pretty preachy (or anti preachy  -  soap boxy anyway).  

How is it hate????????

This is the problem with religious people. Please stop you are hurting my feelings in believing in dangerous miscalculated monster. 

14 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Hatred and greed are much more likely to destroy humanity than religion, for instance, global warming is not lead by religions; we've had thousands of years lead by various religions, but only a couple of hundred years lead by profit. 

I somewhat have to disagree with the global warming thing. Many religious people don't believe in it. I talk to many Christian friends who says "I don't want my government in spending my tax money to solve a hoax".  Come on man this somewhat driven by religion also 

Just now, Baron d'Holbach said:

How is it hate????????

This is the problem with religious people. Please stop you are hurting my feelings in believing in dangerous miscalculated monster. 

I said it 'SEEMS' hate filled... as if there is a chip somewhere on your shoulder about it. Which could be understandable - loads do.   I could be wrong.

I am not religious - well, I don't believe in God anyway.

I'm intrigued, please explain. 

I think the world needs to drop the god BS. ;-)   I know you think it is a good tool for learning love, forgiveness, respect etc.. maybe it is - but is should no longer be presented as fact imo. It is plain dumb.

How is it not hate?

I had a religious pious grandmother who always said don't speak Ill about christ because I am a sensitive woman who is easily offended. 

It is not hate. Just questioning and asking. And this is what the church and temples hate. Questioning and asking. And they label that as hate. 

Is it really hate? Come on. Open your mind 

1 minute ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

I somewhat have to disagree with the global warming thingMany religious people don't believe in it. I talk to many Christian friends who says "I don't want my government in spending my tax money to solve a hoax".  Come on man this somewhat driven by religion also

Then you disagree with science and religion, what do you believe?

Is it really hate? Come on. Open your mind 

Well it is a bit soap boxy...  post after post of preaching your personal brand of atheism..  the thread is about why people still believe rather than why they should not.

1 hour ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

Man has been forced to vegetate in his primitive stupidity: he has been taught stories about invisible powers upon whom his happiness was supposed to depend. Occupied solely by his fears, and by unintelligible reveries, he has always been at the mercy of priests, who have reserved to themselves the right of thinking for him, and of directing his actions.

By Baron D'Holbach

See - I don't really disagree with this..  but it seems designed to insult or hurt the feelings of a believer. Also, you might be missing the positive aspects that religion bought to the world in the past....  like the Romans - it has had it's time imo.

3 minutes ago, DrP said:

Well it is a bit soap boxy...  post after post of preaching your personal brand of atheism..  the thread is about why people still believe rather than why they should not.

Yes. And I gave you post after post in telling you why people believe. Did I not???

2 minutes ago, DrP said:

I think the world needs to drop the god BS. ;-)   I know you think it is a good tool for learning love, forgiveness, respect etc.. maybe it is - but is should no longer be presented as fact imo. It is plain dumb.

Agreed, and if I could think of better tool...

1 minute ago, DrP said:

See - I don't really disagree with this..  but it seems designed to insult or hurt the feelings of a believer. Also, you might be missing the positive aspects that religion bought to the world in the past....  like the Romans - it has had it's time imo.

Dude how you disagree? We were taught religious ideas by stories! And use those stories to make us happy! Occupy by fear of judgment and punishment if don't follow the stories as gospel truths. Brainwash by priests 

1 minute ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

Yes. And I gave you post after post in telling you why people believe. Did I not???

There is the odd comment...  but most just comes across as negativity and doesn't explain why people still believe in god. I understand how people get sucked into it. Most that do actually mean well. I was a believer for many years...  I have had to forgive myself for the stupidity of believing, what now seems like, obvious nonsense.

Dude how you disagree? We were taught religious ideas by stories! And use those stories to make us happy! Occupy by fear of judgment and punishment if don't follow the stories as gospel truths. Brainwash by priests 

I know - which is why I said that I agree with some of what you wrote. But try to drop the anger - ironically, the skills that let you drop your anger and give you the grace to forgive yourself and others can come out of certain religious beliefs. I learnt that from Christianity. There is much love to be observed.