For Muharram, Why Muslims cut their chest with blades?

Ganesh Ujwal

"Tatbir (Arabic: تطبير‎), also known as Talwar zani and Qama Zani in South Asia,[1] is an act of mourning by some of Shi'i Muslims for the younger grandson of Muhammad, Imam Husayn ibn Ali, who was martyred along with his children, companions and near relatives at the Battle of Karbala by the Umayyad Caliph Yazid I.

The practice of Tatbir includes striking oneself with a form of a talwar "sword" on the head, causing blood to flow in remembrance of the innocent blood of Imam Husayn. Some Twelvers also hit their back and/or chest with blades attached to chains."

Directly from the wiki article. If you need further clarification, you'll need to refine your question.

"Tatbir (Arabic: تطبير‎), also known as Talwar zani and Qama Zani in South Asia,[1] is an act of mourning by some of Shi'i Muslims for the younger grandson of Muhammad, Imam Husayn ibn Ali, who was martyred along with his children, companions and near relatives at the Battle of Karbala by the Umayyad Caliph Yazid I.

The practice of Tatbir includes striking oneself with a form of a talwar "sword" on the head, causing blood to flow in remembrance of the innocent blood of Imam Husayn. Some Twelvers also hit their back and/or chest with blades attached to chains."

Directly from the wiki article. If you need further clarification, you'll need to refine your question.

So in the beginning it was an act of mourning, and then it became an act of remembrance?