will shop keeper replace Hard Disk for free if it has Bad Sectors?

Ganesh Ujwal

My Hard Disk has 5 Years warranty & but it has lots of bad sectors

will shop keeper replace Hard Disk for free if it has Bad Sectors?

Actual Problem:Yesterday i downloaded 700 MB file, Now I can't able to copy or move the file, it showing "Data error cyclic redundancy check file".

My Whole Time got wasted, again i should download whole 700 MB again.

Edited by Ganesh Ujwal

In western country- probably without problem. In yours, I don't know.

I have not seen bad sectors for ages. Couple my disks were running for years constantly 24h/7d in server machine.

The main rule is to not spin/move disk while it's running, don't walk with laptop (unless it's SSD), don't shutdown by button but nicely close system software friendly way, use UPS to prevent sudden power off when there is no energy, etc. precautions..

If you will follow rules, chance to get bad sectors decrease..

If you don't care about rules, get SSD next time.

Downloading 700 MB takes 70 seconds here.. :)

(couple years ago it would take 47 seconds, but they were sold to worser provider)

Let me guess- Hobbit 3rd?

Edited by Sensei

will shop keeper replace Hard Disk for free if it has Bad Sectors? .

They should do if it still in warranty. This happened to me several years ago with a Dell laptop. I didn't even know it was still in warranty but when I ordered a replacement disk they said it would be free (and even asked if I needed help installing it and moving the data across).

Have you run a disk test (chkdsk /r for Windows, fsck for Linux)? It might be a "soft" fault (corrupted data) but if you really have a large number of bad sectors you need to back up your data as soon as possible and replace the disk.

Replace the disk first. Otherwise you risk wasting time and losing other data.

The shopkeeper might not be the right one to replace the disk, if it's a manufacturer's warranty. And they may want the old one sent back after you have received the replacement.

True. It probably depends on the jurisdiction. In the UK it is always the retailer's responsibility (even for manufacturer's warranty - and even if there is no warranty but there is an obvious problem).

True. It probably depends on the jurisdiction. In the UK it is always the retailer's responsibility (even for manufacturer's warranty - and even if there is no warranty but there is an obvious problem).

It's only the UK retailer's responsibility for a year isn't it? Then the manufacturer's guarantee, which is at their discretion if they offer one or not beyond 12 months, subject to the complainant satisfying the conditions of their warranty. The statutory guarantee is for 12 months as I understand it, whether it be the retailer or manufacturer that honours it.

Edited by StringJunky

It's only the UK retailer's responsibility for a year isn't it? Then the manufacturer's guarantee, which is at their discretion if they offer one or not beyond 12 months, subject to the complainant satisfying the conditions of their warranty. The statutory guarantee is for 12 months as I understand it, whether it be the retailer or manufacturer that honours it.

No: that's completely wrong StringJunky. That is exactly what they want you to think. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 makes the seller responsible for defective or faulty goods for a reasonable time limited to a maximum of 6 years (5 years in Scotland). What that reasonable time is depends on the goods or the quality or the sale pitch etc. How this works out in reality is tough to call - you need to show an inherent fault that was present at time of sale and the onus probandi is on you, but this is often not so hard. The amount you can claim might not be the full sale price - but if you have used it for a couple of years then that is pretty fair.

To repeat: There is no statutory limit of one year in these cases - but the sellers will often try to make it appear so by waving a one year manufacturers warranty in your face and claiming they have no further responsibility: THIS IS A LIE! I promise most major retailers will try this falsehood out on any complaining consumer quite a few times - sometimes even in writing - but this does not alter the law; the law says that the liability exists for a reasonable time upto 6 years.

It is pretty complicated. If you can show that there was a defect when it was manufactured or was not of merchantable quality or not fit for purpose (the source of that terrible political cliche) then the retailer is liable for a "reasonable" amount of time. This could be weeks or months, depending on the type of product. There is a cut off at 6 months when it changes from the retailer having to prove the product was OK, to the customer having to prove it was defective.

Most manufacturers provide a 12 month warranty. Some retailers will extend that (for free or for a fee). But that is in addition to any statutory rights you have. In all cases, it is the retailer who is responsible for refunding, replacing or repairing the product. (It is up to them to sort this out with the manufacturer.)

Using this Which? article as reference. You have up to 3 or 4 weeks to outright reject an item if faulty for a refund. After that period, up to 6 months, it is the responsibility of the seller to repair/replace the item or prove the buyer caused the fault. After 6 months the situation is reversed and the buyer has to prove the fault existed at the time of purchase, which may entail an expert's report supporting their claim; this can be claimable for up to 6 years. In my experience it seems most shops give a 1 year no-quibble guarantee against faults.

• 1 month later...

In times past discs nearly always had bad tracks and sectors - doubtless it was viewed to be next to impossible to produce a fault-free surface. Although there was a limit to how many such flaws could be logged, and such were handled by flawing tracks and skip displacements (skip over the error).

Mind you, that was in the days where it was brown iron oxide (rust) surface material. Nowadays they seem to be made of shiny silver coloured material, which presumably is superior.