Sony releases "The Interview"

Peace

Crap movie.

Maybe it was a publicity stunt to generate interest in a bad movie, that spiraled out of control; now they all look like idiots.

Really ? North Korea hopes to destroy America by attacking Hollywood ?

Crap movie.

Maybe it was a publicity stunt to generate interest in a bad movie, that spiraled out of control; now they all look like idiots.

lol, I've been hearing that one a few times as well.

I was kind of thinking it might be an attack directed by China against a Japanese company, with the movie providing a superficial reason. I mean it might be because of a movie poking fun at NK's leader and potentially undermining his cult of personality, but I doubt that is the sole reason. If anything the attack called more attention to the movie than it would have received otherwise(which might lead one to speculate another country's reason for the attack).

and yeah, I do think it is a poor premise. It is like the CIA plotting to attack the shy kid at school. I don't think friendship is the answer to every problem, but in this case seems like it could work wonders.

Well, I just found out they released it online, on Youtube, although I suspect it might be available from other places as well.

Yeah. I found it really politically incorrect I mean they could have just changed the names of some of the people and places to avoid any potential controversy. Then they could have said All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Freedom of Speech

Edited by fiveworlds

The FBI confirmed a week and a day ago that it was North Korea behind the cyber-attack.

Yeah because the FBI's budget is that big. They don't have a clue who did it. They probably weren't told anything about the movie, the American government definitely has better things to do than check up on every single movie. This one just happened to be politically incorrect and now they have to deal with it instead of dealing with more important issues.

Well, no. Peace is correct. FBI confirmed more than a week ago. Pretending otherwise does little more than make you appear foolish and uninformed and adds nothing but obfuscation and distraction to an important and broader conversation.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102284428

There is enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for the Sony cyberattack, the FBI said Friday, based on an investigation conducted in collaboration with other government agencies and departments.

"Though the FBI has seen a wide variety and increasing number of cyber intrusions, the destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature, sets it apart," the agency said in a statement. "North Korea's actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves. Such acts of intimidation fall outside the bounds of acceptable state behavior."

<...>

Due to sensitive sources and methods to obtain the information, the FBI said it is limited in what it can share. The bureau did say that the conclusion is based on technical analysis of data deletion malware, which revealed that there were links to other malware that North Koreans previously developed. The agency also noticed significant overlap between the infrastructure used in the Sony attack and other malicious digital activity from North Korea.

The tools used in the attack are also strikingly similar to those used against South Korean banks and media outlets back in March and those tools were confirmed to be of North Korean origin.

You are welcome to your opinions, but please do not present them as facts.

Edited by iNow

Fair point, but a bit too conspiratorial for my taste given the information at hand. Possible they are lying? Yes. Of course, but is it likely given what we know? Not really, at least, not today IMO. I'd need more to go on before I jump on board with that particular conclusion.

Addendum: Further, suggesting that they know nothing or "don't have a clue" is patently absurd.

• 2 weeks later...

The beginning of the movie "The Interview" shows a N.Korean assembly to hear a girl sing a song that is extremely, unbelievably anti-USA. Is that fictional or do they traditionally express in public an obsessive hatred for America?

I think the FBI is full of shit on this. Just like the U.S. was full of shit on WMDs, torture, and police being justified in the multitude of shootings. Frankly, the U.S. has no credibility, and one must assume they are potentially lying about almost everything. North Korea attacking Hollywood is a sound strategy, to what gain? Freedom of speech? Maybe some conservatives might buy that BS, but it's quite simply a huge stretch that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This simply stinks of conspiracy.

The beginning of the movie "The Interview" shows a N.Korean assembly to hear a girl sing a song that is extremely, unbelievably anti-USA. Is that fictional or do they traditionally express in public an obsessive hatred for America?

I once stayed in a hotel on the Caspian Coast of Iran - and across the lobby in letters about 50cm high it said "Death to America the Great Satan" - in Farsi (I think) and English. Different country admittedly - but just to show that very repressive totalarian states can really go over the top to hammer in their ideology. The actually words used in the film are probably an exaggeration - but I wouldn't bet on it

I think the FBI is full of shit on this. Just like the U.S. was full of shit on WMDs, torture, and police being justified in the multitude of shootings. Frankly, the U.S. has no credibility, and one must assume they are potentially lying about almost everything. North Korea attacking Hollywood is a sound strategy, to what gain? Freedom of speech? Maybe some conservatives might buy that BS, but it's quite simply a huge stretch that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. This simply stinks of conspiracy.

What on earth makes you believe that North Korea conducts international relations based on a "sound strategy"?