Index.dat files

Vorn

These two questions are directed to any experts in XP Pro. If I was to find a way to totally eliminate the 'index.dat files', and prevent 'Windows File Protection' from recreating it, would XP Pro survive without the index.dat? If so, what sort of ramifications could I expect from nuking the index.dat files (other than not having to delete their contents periodically)?

It's a file associated with Internet Explorer, so I think you'll only break that if anything but I don't think it will happen because it is only a cache. At worst IE will run slightly slower fetching websites that you normally use because their addresses are not available to prefetch anymore.

Edited by StringJunky

You can turn off windows file protection. run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon.>SFCDisable=ffffff9d if none SFCDisable is 32bit string DWORD value

Also windows replaces the file with a copy of the file cached in a folder in the system 32 directory. Delete both the cached copy and the other file and SFC will no longer be able to find the file to copy. The copy process runs automatically on startup. Usually you have to allow yourself to view protected windows files within the system32 directory to find the folder. Note windows will re-download the file from the internet if SFC fails to find it.

You can also change SFC directory cache

run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon.>SFCDllCacheDir=localfilepath if none SFCDllCacheDir is an expandable string value

Edited by fiveworlds

It's a file associated with Internet Explorer, so I think you'll only break that if anything but I don't think it will happen because it is only a cache. At worst IE will run slightly slower fetching websites that you normally use because their addresses are not available to prefetch anymore.

Thanks for your answer. I think if worst goes to worst I can live without IE...was just concerned about messing up XP Pro!

Thanks for your answer. I think if worst goes to worst I can live without IE...was just concerned about messing up XP Pro!

Ccleaner can securely wipe it (and other folders) if it bothers you without removing it (free one). You need to set it to secure wipe in Options > Settings otherwise it just deletes which is not the same. You can get it to run at start up in Settings as well.

You can turn off windows file protection. run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon.>SFCDisable=ffffff9d if none SFCDisable is 32bit string DWORD value

Also windows replaces the file with a copy of the file cached in a folder in the system 32 directory. Delete both the cached copy and the other file and SFC will no longer be able to find the file to copy. The copy process runs automatically on startup. Usually you have to allow yourself to view protected windows files within the system32 directory to find the folder. Note windows will re-download the file from the internet if SFC fails to find it.

You can also change SFC directory cache

run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ Winlogon.>SFCDllCacheDir=localfilepath if none SFCDllCacheDir is an expandable string value

Thanks for the tips. I already know of various software to uncloak the hidden files, but was not aware that "windows will re-download the file from the internet if SFC fails to find it." Know how to stop it? Maybe blockade via Hosts File?

Maybe blockade via Hosts File?

Yeah but you need to know the website and the hosts file is nothing to do with windows it is BIND (Berkely Internet Name Domain) and is on every internet connected computer. If you want to block facebook add this to the end of the file.

127.0.0.1    facebook.com
127.0.0.1    www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1    m.facebook.com

or

127.0.0.1 time.microsoft.com

to block microsoft system time updates. Of course some schools use netnanny etc to do the same.

Edited by fiveworlds

Yeah but you need to know the website and the hosts file is nothing to do with windows it is BIND (Berkely Internet Name Domain) and is on every internet connected computer. If you want to block facebook add this to the end of the file.

127.0.0.1    facebook.com
127.0.0.1    www.facebook.com
127.0.0.1    m.facebook.com

or

127.0.0.1 time.microsoft.com

to block microsoft system time updates. Of course some schools use netnanny etc to do the same.

I was thinking I would just go through the various HOSTS lists (MVPS is one of many), add anything even remotely connected to Microsoft, and that should sever contact with updates, WGA, and anything else. Since I will only be using XP Pro, and its now EOS/EOL, its not like Microsoft has anything to offer. Unless you know the specific URLs to block, or some other way to stop the re-download of index.dat from the internet?

Ccleaner can securely wipe it (and other folders) if it bothers you without removing it (free one). You need to set it to secure wipe in Options > Settings otherwise it just deletes which is not the same. You can get it to run at start up in Settings as well.

I'm aware of CCleaner, and many other similar apps, but my preferred response to any thorn in the foot is to eliminate it entirely. Only if Ifail to find a permanent solution do I settle for second best, and I am now hopeful the index.dat can be nuked without XP imploding into a black hole!

If IE does not survive fiveworlds' operation, that's an acceptable loss. Neither IE nor Firefox ever impressed me, so one or both are expendable if necessary.

I was thinking I would just go through the various HOSTS lists (MVPS is one of many), add anything even remotely connected to Microsoft, and that should sever contact with updates, WGA, and anything else. Since I will only be using XP Pro, and its now EOS/EOL, its not like Microsoft has anything to offer. Unless you know the specific URLs to block, or some other way to stop the re-download of index.dat from the internet?

I'm aware of CCleaner, and many other similar apps, but my preferred response to any thorn in the foot is to eliminate it entirely. Only if Ifail to find a permanent solution do I settle for second best, and I am now hopeful the index.dat can be nuked without XP imploding into a black hole!

If IE does not survive fiveworlds' operation, that's an acceptable loss. Neither IE nor Firefox ever impressed me, so one or both are expendable if necessary.

If you want to mess about with Hosts, Hostman is handy tool for interacting/modifying it. You can select hosts lists as well to download with it.

Neither IE nor Firefox ever impressed me, so one or both are expendable if necessary.

And they have been getting resource hungry. My Da said that his windows xp laptop cannot update to the new adobe flash player and it won't run facebook anymore because firefox keeps on complaining about needing updates.

Edited by fiveworlds

• 2 months later...

Using a laptop, resources are a problem. My main grip with both IE and Firefox is that both continue to make it more and more difficult to configure out all the useless junk and backdoors for corporate adware, malware, etc. To use IE, I would have to go with versions 5, 6, or 7. To use Firefox, version 12 or prior. To use these versions requires a major overhaul (rip out the Java, Flash, and so on), then you have to run with limited rights via Sandboxie. To use recent versions of either, you have to accept that the developers know what's best for you, accept DOM crap, browsers calling home, and all that rot.

browsers calling home,

Well yeah but essentially the internet is an elaborate phone directory. Obviously the phone company keeps track of all the numbers. About routing websites too I have managed to get a linksys router which is working perfectly with all the extra changes i previously needed with the old router just basic port forwarding now.

Well yeah but essentially the internet is an elaborate phone directory. Obviously the phone company keeps track of all the numbers.

fiveworlds, "browser calling home" means application is connecting to some server without user knowledge and will, for instructions.

They can inject to user computer whatever they want, and he/she won't have any idea about it...

Edited by Sensei