Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

I wonder if the process of this thread comes from the reputation system being a simple topic that everyone can say something about (other than the actual topic which is Ophiolite saying goodbye) or from virtual reputation in a room full of strangers having taken up a key role in this forum.

From my personal forum experience, I can strongly recommend putting people on the ignore list before feeling compelled to insult them (incidently, Ophiolite was one of those people who ended up on my ignore list as the result of such a process). It may not be very action-hero like to not battle everyone you consider an idiot or simply wrong to the bitter end. But it's very time-effective and good for the nerves.

Putting people on ignore may seem to defeat the purpose of a discussion forum. But in reality once you are at the level where you consider putting people on ignore the trade-off is not between ignorance and healthy discussion, but between ignorance and name-calling or smart-assing.

I never imagined you putting him on an ignore list. You two seem to get along quite fine.

I wonder if the process of this thread comes from the reputation system being a simple topic that everyone can say something about (other than the actual topic which is Ophiolite saying goodbye) or from virtual reputation in a room full of strangers having taken up a key role in this forum.

Okay, yes. The problematic reputation system was not the ultimate reason for Ophiolite's exit.

From my personal forum experience, I can strongly recommend putting people on the ignore list before feeling compelled to insult them (incidently, Ophiolite was one of those people who ended up on my ignore list as the result of such a process). It may not be very action-hero like to not battle everyone you consider an idiot or simply wrong to the bitter end. But it's very time-effective and good for the nerves.

Putting people on ignore may seem to defeat the purpose of a discussion forum. But in reality once you are at the level where you consider putting people on ignore the trade-off is not between ignorance and healthy discussion, but between ignorance and name-calling or smart-assing.

There is a counterpart.

if you post some gibberish and there is no comment then you may perceive it as if your gibberish was so truly illuminating that nobody could say a word. There are such threads that are maintained by a single member. That is not good, it is encouraging the crank.

Insulting is not good either.

i have felt insulted several times here, it is not a pleasant feeling.

But as i said on a mysteriously disappeared thread, I have become a pachyderm. From the etymologic sense: with a thick skin. So that nothing can bites me.

IOW one must keep the balance.

I have come to consider quite a few people on this forum my friends.

You are certainly one of them Ophiolite.

And just like I have many friends who I may disagree with from time to time, as I'm sure you do, that is no reason to dissolve a friendship..

I respect your wish to leave, but hope you reconsider.

Recently I asked for support from the mod/admin team over systematic application of negative rep by a specific member. Rather than provide that support I was issued a warning by the team. My offense: calling the member an opinionated twat in my final pm to that member before putting them on Ignore.

I joined the forum in 2004 while recuperating from a stroke. Thirteen years later I leave. It has brought me an immense amount of satisfaction, until now, to participate in it. My thanks to all of you whom I have interacted with. I shall no doubt miss you.

I will miss you dude!

Did anyone get the fish reference?

A more critical reading might cause us to remember that these were the words of a superior race who after many attempts to warn and save the poor benighted humans were leaving a doomed world

Lets put this to rest shall we...

Ophiolite, can you please come back and explain the fish reference ?

I cannot believe someone as well read as you appear to be isn't entirely conversant with Douglas Adams; this is a gap in your reading you will have so much fun rectifying - the OP title and other comments on it have all been canonical HHGG. I won't explain so you can fully enjoy the trilogy of five books.

Or - this is just a clever wheeze to tempt Ophiolite back; which I may have just ruined.

I cannot believe someone as well read as you appear to be isn't entirely conversant with Douglas Adams; this is a gap in your reading you will have so much fun rectifying - the OP title and other comments on it have all been canonical HHGG. I won't explain so you can fully enjoy the trilogy of five books.

Or - this is just a clever wheeze to tempt Ophiolite back; which I may have just ruined.

It's not just a gap in reading; it's a gap in a way of thinking and worldview. Rectify it at once MigL and buy all the books as a post-Christmas present to yourself. :)

Edited by StringJunky

I know what it's like to be the target of someone's negative rep bombardment (eh, Unity+) ...

Not nice.

That said. Why should we all lose out because of that one idiot? I agree the mods should do more in these situations, and the warning points you received were a kick in the teeth, but in the grand scheme it's only a forum ... nobody cares ...

Anyway you will be missed, not sure how the geology section will survive with all the nutcases running loose.

I know what it's like to be the target of someone's negative rep bombardment (eh, Unity+) ...

Not nice.

That said. Why should we all lose out because of that one idiot? I agree the mods should do more in these situations, and the warning points you received were a kick in the teeth, but in the grand scheme it's only a forum ... nobody cares ...

Anyway you will be missed, not sure how the geology section will survive with all the nutcases running loose.

Ya . . . No kidding! . . . . . . . . .S a a a y . . . . Wait . . a . . . minute :huh: . . . . . .

Not nice.

Replacing "negative rep bombardment" with "automobile" puts things in perspective.