3D Printing - Fad or the Future?

secor77

I have to admit, when I first heard about 3D printing I rolled my eyes. I'm a scientist, but even I couldn't see the practical value. Well, I'm starting to think I was wrong (isn't the first time, won't be the last). Check out this article on 3D Printers in manufacturing. I mean, GE is investing 50 million in it! Here's the article:

3D Printers Build on Manufacturing Success

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think. Is 3D printing a fad? I used to think so...but now I'm less sure.

BAAM_resized_main.png

Edited by secor77

I have to admit, when I first heard about 3D printing I rolled my eyes. I'm a scientist, but even I couldn't see the practical value. Well, I'm starting to think I was wrong (isn't the first time, won't be the last). Check out this article on 3D Printers in manufacturing. I mean, GE is investing 50 million in it! Here's the article:

Anyway, check it out and tell me what you think. Is 3D printing a fad? I used to think so...but now I'm less sure.

BAAM_resized_main.png

I doubt that 3D printing in general is just a fad. However, I think the current fad is with the technologies that are currently being used. The machines that are built at the moment do print objects, but they have so many limitations that isn't seen as being practical. Until they perfect the mechanism of 3D printing, it will be a while till 3D printing becomes common place. For now, it is just a luxury access.

IMO an automated machine shop, one with all kinds of computer run machine tools and assembly robots, will be a kind of 3D printer whenever things can be made without human intervention, except for programming the tools. Thus, I think the answer to your question partly depends on how one defines 3D printing. But, even if you limit the definition to additive 3D printing, the technology will be blended with automated factories and be a major part of manufacturing one day.

One might consider nature as a 3D or 4D printer that makes all kinds of things, including stars, sand, trees, algae, blue whales and fairy wasps. Nanotechnology may be able to mimic some of those processes, and blend them with traditional manufacturing processes to make other things that nature does not.

However one defines 3D printing, the process of making things will change, and 3D printing will be part of it.

Edited by EdEarl

Rapid prototyping and fabrication of a small number of custom items is happening now. It's cheaper than running a full-scale fabrication process for a small number of parts, owing to the setup/overhead. And you can iterate faster in testing the design. I've already incorporated 3D-printed plastic parts into something I'm working on, since the alternative was sending them out to be fabricated, and probably fabricated twice (or more), since there are bound to be modifications. Much faster and cheaper to walk downstairs and print something and be able to test it out within a day.

There's also the issue of printing on demand vs having to do a production run and keep inventory on a shelf somewhere, or be out of stock (and lose business) until you can make more. It's only going to get bigger, as the technology improves.

There's also the issue of printing on demand vs having to do a production run and keep inventory on a shelf somewhere, or be out of stock (and lose business) until you can make more. It's only going to get bigger, as the technology improves.

To me, this is one of the best advantages next to small run prototyping. Holding inventory, in some industries, is like playing Russian Roulette. Especially with high-tech products where last year's hot product is this year's doorstop. If I could print up my products on demand, it would give me a huge advantage in the marketplace. No more warehousing!

Speaking of 3-d printed hands, check this out. If it's a fad, it's a good one. :)

Dad Uses 3D Printer To Make His Son A Prosthetic Hand (VIDEO)

A couple of thoughts.

First, the hardest part of this technology seems to be the inputting of instructions, so making some intermediate software for consumers than can translate 'simple' input into printer instructions would forward the use of the technology.

Second, rather than using polymers or metals as is now being done, a printer using papier-mâché could produce items not requiring much durability as well as being recyclable. :)

Here is an article about how 3D printing is being used in dentistry: http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/05/14/stratasys-new-dental-3d-printers-fill-overlooked-cavity/

There are a lot of people in the USA who cannot afford the high cost of dental prosthetics ( crowns, bridges, dentures) that are manufactured using traditional techniques.

First, the hardest part of this technology seems to be the inputting of instructions, so making some intermediate software for consumers than can translate 'simple' input into printer instructions would forward the use of the technology.

It does require using CAD software, but there's already a fairly large collection of files that people have uploaded, so it's not absolutely necessary to be able to draw a part in order to print it.

Speaking of 3-d printed hands, check this out. If it's a fad, it's a good one. :)

Dad Uses 3D Printer To Make His Son A Prosthetic Hand (VIDEO)

Some people from e-nable (the organization Ivan Owen, mentioned in the article, is affiliated with) gave a talk at scienceonline earlier this year. As I recall, they're careful to not call them prosthetics, which would fall under certain medical rules. But nobody had been making articulated hands, and certainly not for kids, because each one requires a fair amount of customization. So they can't be mass-produced.

———

And then there's this: sending a part file to the ISS, so they can print it locally

https://medium.com/backchannel/how-we-email-hardware-to-space-7d46eed00c98

There's another thread recently where the idea of terraforming Mars was discussed. Seems to me that mature 3D printing technology is a necessary component of any effort of that sort. I wouldn't be surprised if the science station at the south pole has already moved inthis direction

3D scanning means shapes can be scanned and printed. See: http://www.pi3dscan.com/.

At this time scanning is limited to external features, which means one cannot scan something with internal features; however, CT, MRI, sonar, etc. scanning will be used in the future to scan internal features.

The technology is already used to build houses: huffingtonpost.com and another concept: wimp.com/printerhouse

And, micro-scale printing: nanoscribe, nano-scale printing: koreatimesus.com.

As 3D printers become available for various materials, the technology can be developed more quickly. And, I think we are already limited by the speed at which people can imagine, design, fund, 3D print, and assemble new 3D printers. Dissemination of 3D printers and CAD software is probably be limited by patent and copyright laws, because they tend to keep prices high until expiration. Open source software is limited at this time, and I suspect copyright and patent laws are preventing many improvements. Open source hardware is improving and diversifying rapidly. Thus, users of open source 3D printing systems will probably be handicapped for many years, unless they can afford commercial software.

Imagine 3D printing clothes. You'll do that at home from your own printer. An entire part of the existing industry will collapse. Especially if you can recycle your gel-clothe and make a new design from the old material.

In the construction sector the recent technology that I am aware of is still about 2D printing. For the production of large tiles (1meterX3 meters) that are scanned images of overpriced Calacatta marble or other material.

At this time scanning is limited to external features, which means one cannot scan something with internal features; however, CT, MRI, sonar, etc. scanning will be used in the future to scan internal features.

A New Zealand business called Brainform is transforming MRI scans of human brains into 3D printed sculptures. You can...have them custom print you a 3D printed full-scale replica of your own brain using MRI data provided by you.

See

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/10/21/3d-printed-replica-brain/

What would be interesting to see is someone develop a plugin(if not already developed) that would allow a person to draw the shape in four panels on a piece of paper(top, bottom, left, right) which would allow a person to make a model by using that drawing. Then, contrast in colors would define the depth of each aspect of the model on the paper and when the paper is scanned the model is made from that. That would advance 3D printing, would it not?

What would be interesting to see is someone develop a plugin(if not already developed) that would allow a person to draw the shape in four panels on a piece of paper(top, bottom, left, right) which would allow a person to make a model by using that drawing. Then, contrast in colors would define the depth of each aspect of the model on the paper and when the paper is scanned the model is made from that. That would advance 3D printing, would it not?

Haven't heard of anything like that; someone needs to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

A major issue with current 3-D printing is how to incorporate solid-wall pipes. Pipes/hose/conduit are essential parts that provide fluid/air/paths, as well as structural support.

I haven't noticed any problem in printing a structure that has holes in it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.