Could Cyclotrons Reaches Over 120GeV?

Future JPL Space Engineer

first off, here is a reference book for the 184 inch cyclotron (over 700 mev ?)

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/33397/33397-h/33397-h.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclotron

according to these references, relativity comes into play.

this is not to say that a work around can't be found.

i built my own.

it was a very crude device but worked well.

they really are not much different than a magnetron.

Cyclotrons top out in the hundreds of mega electron volt range I believe - the TRIUMF which is one of the largest gets protons upto 500MeV and I guess heavier ions to higher energies. For greater energies you want a Synchro-Cyclotron aka Synchrotron. Synchrotrons are used for both providing high energy particles (possibly upto peta electron volts range for heavier ions 1PeV=10^15eV) for collision AND for harvesting synchrotron radiation (up in the hard xray band).

Basically cyclotrons run the beams in an outward spiral and synchrotron in a continuous loop

Cyclotrons top out in the hundreds of mega electron volt range I believe - the TRIUMF which is one of the largest gets protons upto 500MeV and I guess heavier ions to higher energies.

The ions are accelerated in ISAC, the isotope separator and accelerator, but I don't think they exceed 500 MeV.

The ions are accelerated in ISAC, the isotope separator and accelerator, but I don't think they exceed 500 MeV.

Ah OK - all the cyclotrons I read about had an energy figure for protons and a higher one for heavy ions so I presumed, wrongly it seems, that the TRIUMF would be the same.