Fatness spreading!

blike

the cost of living here is very high, and that was a truely sad story, our system in this country is better on the whole than the states Coral, but there are a few people that still manage to miss the system, information on help is scarce so unless you know what benefits you are entitled to you are likely not to be claiming them. A mother here can claim for herself and her children providing the children are either under 16 years old (official school age) or up to 19 years old if going into further education. other than that she would be entitled to make a disability claim and so would the boys in their own right. But to give you an example of the costs here: we buy petrol (gas) by the litre and it is presently 80 or more pence per litre which equates to roughly $1.50 per litre you buy yours by the gallon and I dont know how many litres there are in a gallon but to fill my car from empty i am looking at £40. which is roughly $70. an average loaf of bread costs 93p (about $1.70) containing roughly 23 slices, a 2.5kg bag of potatoes costs £1.18 (roughly $2) a four litre jug of milk £1.11 (roughly $2) a small to medium head of cauliflower 80p ($1.40) 10 eggs are £1.24 ($2.30) a pack of 8 sausages .88p ($1.55) philadelphia light soft cheese £1.58 ($3) braising steak £5.58 per kg ($11) sirloin steak £11.30 per kg ($22) pork chops £4.88 per kg ($9.50) assisted accomodation (a house that is rented from the local government for people that cant afford to buy) mine is a three bedroom and quite small compared to american homes, front/living room being 7 foot x 7 foot two beds being the same and the third being 5 foot by 7 foot, kitchen 5 x 7 and garden 8 x 14 feet i pay £365 per month which is roughly $700. to actually buy a house this size here you would be looking at around £130,000. roughly $250,000. or there abouts. All of my guesses on £ to $ are simply guesses, i am sure lance would be able to give the true equation. Kind of frightening huh, my hubby is american and i dont think it will come as any suprise to you that we intend to settle in the states once my youngest finishes school at 16 (three years time).

the cost of living here is very high, and that was a truely sad story, our system in this country is better on the whole than the states Coral, but there are a few people that still manage to miss the system, information on help is scarce so unless you know what benefits you are entitled to you are likely not to be claiming them. A mother here can claim for herself and her children providing the children are either under 16 years old (official school age) or up to 19 years old if going into further education. other than that she would be entitled to make a disability claim and so would the boys in their own right. But to give you an example of the costs here: we buy petrol (gas) by the litre and it is presently 80 or more pence per litre which equates to roughly $1.50 per litre you buy yours by the gallon and I dont know how many litres there are in a gallon but to fill my car from empty i am looking at £40. which is roughly $70. an average loaf of bread costs 93p (about $1.70) containing roughly 23 slices, a 2.5kg bag of potatoes costs £1.18 (roughly $2) a four litre jug of milk £1.11 (roughly $2) a small to medium head of cauliflower 80p ($1.40) 10 eggs are £1.24 ($2.30) a pack of 8 sausages .88p ($1.55) philadelphia light soft cheese £1.58 ($3) braising steak £5.58 per kg ($11) sirloin steak £11.30 per kg ($22) pork chops £4.88 per kg ($9.50) assisted accomodation (a house that is rented from the local government for people that cant afford to buy) mine is a three bedroom and quite small compared to american homes, front/living room being 7 foot x 7 foot two beds being the same and the third being 5 foot by 7 foot, kitchen 5 x 7 and garden 8 x 14 feet i pay £365 per month which is roughly $700. to actually buy a house this size here you would be looking at around £130,000. roughly $250,000. or there abouts. All of my guesses on £ to $ are simply guesses, i am sure lance would be able to give the true equation. Kind of frightening huh, my hubby is american and i dont think it will come as any suprise to you that we intend to settle in the states once my youngest finishes school at 16 (three years time).

Klanger, thank you for informing me. I had no idea of the costs in the UK.

One of the great things about forums is that people from different countries and cultures can exchange viewpoints and facts about each other. The more we understand, the more likely we are to find solutions and, I hope, someday create a peaceful world where there is no want.

That is so true Coral, its no so bad here in England lol, you kinda just accept things that have always been the same, I believe we are quite a wealthy country hehehe or so we are lead to believe but then we are never too sure who we are being compaired to. There are though, a lot of countries out there that are way worse off than us, i guess just as far as value for money goes, we got the short end of the straw when compared to the states, who are totally self sufficient (we rely heavily on imports) but compare us to hmmm romania and we get the long straw. Even so, I am still very much looking forward to settling down in the states, decent weather hehehe a more peaceful pace of life.... we are always in such a rush here even the clouds whizz by. So very much looking forward to that.

Soulestada' date=' do you know why such a high percentage of blacks and hispanics are obese? Because they are poor. Good food, costs good money. How do you improve poverty rates: with education. [/quote']

You are right. I grew up in a middle-class family (my father is retired electrical engineer for Gillette), while most of my friends in school were poorer and their parents less educated. Even though I belong to a high-risk minority group, I am not fat by any means, and a person the same height as me will have "much more mass" than me. Like by about thirty or fourty pounds! :confused: As a matter of fact, they think that I am too thin! Hopefully, my two years of accounting hell will keep me thin, and the other two will probably emaciate me! ;)

Ok, I agree I did not research enough, and should not have mad that claim. I heard about it from a bunch of people, so it was a rumour. But hey, it turned out to be true didn't it!

But I'll make sure not too make a claim without firm material to back it up next time. :) Thanks Sayanora for telling me this.

• 3 weeks later...
Think also about the all the amount of money that there is in the world (50 trillion maybe?). Divide it by 6 billion (the population of the world). We would all be very rich..............no poverty. But for that eventuality to occur, people need one very important quality: unselfishness. Something most people now lack.
Do you think that there is good selfishness (like entreprenerialism) and then there's bad selfishness (like protectionism)?