Making ancient time giant water wheel to lift water

shaks

The pictures I saw used the water flowing past the wheel at the bottom to power it. In that situation it would be still one of the best.

You yourself (and another person also) mentioned this idea and I thought it will help that's why I am working on this.

Anyhow thank you for you time, I am sure someone will help here.

Shaks

Water is used for some amusement rides/boats/etc at different heights like 100 feet high.

Shaks

figure out how trees lift water. I have found roots of trees that have been dead for years that still seemed to be filled with water

Edited by Robittybob1

Just additional comments that I am not trying to make Perpetual motion machine that is impossible. What I am trying to do is to minimum cost of water lifting. I mean lift as much water as possible by these wheels (electric powered or water powered) and then use traditional pumps for remaining water. These wheels will cost one time and will save much money in long run.

Shaks

Edited by shaks

Thank you everyone for helping regarding my project.

I have done some more research that's why there was break in replying to this thread. Now I am thinking on different angle and all depends on one assumption that I am going to ask in this thread. Then I will update here some more details of project so you people may have more idea what I want to do.

Can you give me your opinion about the following:

1. One 5-10 feet wide canal with at least 2-3 feet deep water coming non-stop

2. Canal length = 400 feet
3. Canal slope = 30 feet. It means from one side canal is 30 feet higher than ground and on second side canal is at ground. It might be like a falling bridge.

So above is great slope and water is coming regularly without stop with full pressure.

1. Wheel and canal width is like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99oH5rizH7k
I mean canal width is according to wheel so there is no extra water flowing just for nothing. Water flowing is creating force.

2. Another example of wheels is a row here at wider canal but wheels are rotating fast and lifting good amount of water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwQWJJqxwI specially you can see at around 1:00 that water slope or flow is not huge just with normal water flow, 3 wheels in a row are moving. I can assume more water flow than this in my canal.

Another example here about water flow and how much wheels are dipped https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h89GLpOABzs

So what you people think that if wheel and canal width is according to each other i.e. water is not flowing extra from right/left and there is 20-30 feet slope from start to end of 400 feet canal and there are 20 wheels of 20 feet diameter in a row, can each wheel lift 2%-3% of flow water?

There might be around 100,000 gpm water flow in a canal coming from 30 (or 20 feet if 20 feet is fine) feet height. 100,000 gpm is big flow and this water should rotate wheels very fast.

Since I want to lift water at 200-250 feet height so this is not possible to make wheels of 200-250 diameter just to lift 2-3% of flowing water (although earlier I was thinking to make each wheel of 200-250 diameter). Because if each wheel is 200-250 diameter wheel then for just 5 wheels I need 1100 feet canal that's very hard to manage and big wheels to manage.

Now I am thinking of around 20-30 feet diameter wheels which can move piston like this wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxansqNH7A and then that piston can lift water at 200-250 height. So wheels height and paddles are created in such way that water force can move piston which can lift maximum weight.

So in short do you think that 1 wheel can lift 2%-3% of flowing water?

I will update more here about my project and what I am thinking but first I need opinion on above question.

Shaks

Just additional comments that I am not trying to make Perpetual motion machine that is impossible. What I am trying to do is to minimum cost of water lifting. I mean lift as much water as possible by these wheels (electric powered or water powered) and then use traditional pumps for remaining water. These wheels will cost one time and will save much money in long run.

Shaks

Yes you are, you just haven't realised it yet.

Imagine you build the wheel, and it works

You manage to raise the water to the top of the slide using less than 50 KW- say it takes 25.

That's nice for you.

Now imagine I build a similar wheel alongside.

But I don't use it to feed a water slide- I use it to drive a turbine and I use that turbine to drive a generator.

I know that I can extract nearly 50 KW of power from that turbine (because the maths is exactly the same as before).

So I can use 25KW of that power to run the wheel and I have 25KW left over to sell.

I'd be getting power for nothing.

But we know that is impossible.

So we know that the wheel can't lift the water using less power than the turbine could generate.

So we know that the wheel can't take less than 50KW of power to raise the water.

You could use a hydraulic ram instead and lift water partially up that way(still with zero electricity cost).

Mostly I think your desires are too ambitious for what a water wheel can reasonably be expected to manage.

If you still wish to proceed, this may help: http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ah810e/AH810E05.htm

Very complete reference on the subject of water lifting devices past and present(with handy numbers and rough efficiency ranges). May give a better sense of the relatively low heights most types were concerned with. Only the Persian Wheel is really practical in this scenario and would still require a source of power.

Edited by Endy0816