Proficient is a bad test score?

Marshalscienceguy

In a class room they judge you by grades. Such as A. 90% and above, B.80% C.70% D60% F Less than 60%.

They have proficient, Advanced, Above advanced and one above that. Below Proficient they have average, below average, way below average. I was told that if you get proficient or just proficient below that means your behind and all students are suppose to get Advanced to be considered up to par with overall mainstream classes. Otherwise its considered struggling. I know it might not exactly the same as A, B, C, D, E, F but if you took a test and got proficient and you were trying to apply to school how valuable would they view you as a candidate?

1. Specify who "they" are.

2. Specify which country you are referring to.

3. Specify the academic status of the school you are considering.

If I were grading your question asking skills the grade would not be proficient. Do not rely on your audience being smarter than you are.

I was told that if you get proficient or just proficient below that means your behind and all students are suppose to get Advanced to be considered up to par with overall mainstream classes.

That doesn't appear to make sense. If "proficient" is above "average" then it is, by definition, above average.

Unless you live in Lake Wobegon, "where all the children are above average".

Edited by Strange

Marshalscienceguy was probably asking about the real world, where grade inflation not only exists but is extremely dominant. E.g. university grades: In Germany, the possible passing grades are "very good" (A), "good" (B), "satisfactory" © and "sufficient" (D) - the real grades (in physics, chemistry and biology) are "very good" meaning average and better, "good" meaning okay to so-so and anything below meaning "we really did not want to see this student turn up in an exam again so we gave him/her a passing grade". The statement of average meaning average by definition is certainly correct, but may be irrelevant in this case. The relevant question would be how the grades are actually distributed among a relevant peer group (which is not how many points you need to get the grade).

It is not too common to include lecture material in an application. So its quality may actually be not that relevant for determining the strength of an application. The reputation of the grade-granting institution plays a role at some level, of course. But the question appears to be more about school grades than how an okay grade from a well-known institution compares to a "summa cum laude" from a diploma mill.

1. Specify who "they" are.

2. Specify which country you are referring to.

3. Specify the academic status of the school you are considering.

If I were grading your question asking skills the grade would not be proficient. Do not rely on your audience being smarter than you are.

The state testing is based on academic knowledge.

Edited by Marshalscienceguy