Is time discrete? (split from time does not have a speed)

davidivad

But virtual particle mass is inversely proportional to their time of existence, as they are related by the HUP.

You could make the argument that infinitely massive virtual particles can exist for zero time, making the smallest time increment exactly zero ( but most usually stick to Planck energy and Planck time ).

zero time is no time at all, and therefore a non starter (pun intended)....it seems they have an average time of existence, with an averaged mass and period of flux with an overall consistency that the cosmic expansion seems to show..

there has to be a minimum amount by which to add.

if you cannot specify units then you cannot add.

an infinite number of zeros which adds to nothing must be treated as if in units. why?

is there a possible reason why we need a unit to do work and how does this relate to the world we live in?

an average can be a minimum if all numbers are at the lowest value.

there has to be a minimum amount by which to add.

Does there? Mathematics says otherwise.

an average can be a minimum if all numbers are at the lowest value.

But as well already pointed out, in your example of virtual particles, you can always have a more energetic particle that lives for a shorter time. Whatever you choose as a maximum energy/minimum time, I can always choose a higher energy and shorter time.

face it, there are two views, one being that everything has to come in units and the other saying it is continuous.

you can argue through einstein but the reason this does not work is because it does not have such an answer in reality.

if you were correct, then we would have one theory for everything. clearly qm is not ready to marry yet.

they do own the best clock so this is where i would look.

think about it, when was the last time you saw an einstein clock that was accurate.

it is even a well established concept that the answer is expected from the quantum world.

yes q theory will win the day but the answer is already known to the world.

"don't ask, its complicated"

Edited by davidivad

i definitely agree strange.

we are definitely scratching our heads.

luaghably, i think it would be great if when we are done with the math we are left with a formula that has a value for the human condition added to it.

Edited by davidivad

yes, an average can't be a minimum, but it could be an effective driver of the cosmological constant, and as such, lending some notion of the range of values permitted to individual particles...

Edited by hoola

I agree with the idea behind what you say, as long as you qualify terms such as "literally" and "physicality" and "real", as I don't see anything actually provable to being physical, only descriptions of physicality within the mathematical object. Which is why I say time is information based, as any material object is in the end, informational.

AFAIK every known model of discrete spacetime violates Lorentz invariance. So there's good reason to think that what you say is not true.

I'd like to know more about the how's and why's of that, can you point me towards more more information. I can do a Google search but you may know of resources that don't come up.