How do you show gratitude and thankfulness for any good deed given to you by a stranger that you have never met before?

Mr Rayon

I was out grocery shopping last night to a suburb I don't usually travel to. I took public transport and missed the last bus back home. Fortunately, I found a stranger and while I was waiting for the bus I asked them whether any buses are still running. They told me no after they went to their house to check and called the public transport authorities (that's how I found out). They also offered to give me a lift after and I graciously accepted their offer. When they dropped me off to my home however I had no idea how to thank them or show my gratitude for what they did. I asked for their mobile number (to stay in touch) but they didn't have theirs at the time. I had a mental blank and couldn't think. What could I have done to appropriately thank them or show my gratitude to the stranger who helped me and drove me all the way home from the suburb I don't regularly travel to? Has anyone here been in a similar position somewhere in the past? How did you handle the situation? Were you happy with your response?

In my experience a simple thank you is all that’s necessary but if you feel that’s insufficient, just pay the deed forward.

Perhaps after the thank you, one could let the person know how their kindness affected the world. "We were strangers until you fixed that today, and I want you to know I'm going to pay forward the kindness you've shown me."