Custom dictionary for MS Word (and other useful tools)

hypervalent_iodine

I came across what seems like a nice, biology inclusive custom dictionary for MS Word today and thought I'd share, since it's a useful tool to have for people who dislike red, squiggly lines. I have another one that I use for chemistry as well, which was linked in another thread here. If anyone has any other useful tools like this for writing in biology, I'd love to hear about them, as I am currently in the process of writing my first research article since moving into the field(s) of microbiology / genetics.

I wished those were around 10 years ago (but my own has grown sufficiently to be workable now). With regards to tools I can only recommend to use a decent system for organizing and citing papers and stick to it. Other than that probably figuring out whether one really wants to stay with something like Word (or other office packages) or try to use something like Latex (later on there will be less time to try out things).

Other than that most tools would be somewhat specific to the type of research one is doing I would think. However a very useful tool in many areas is the use of something like onenote or similar that can take and organize a variety of data types (e.g. microscopic images as well as spectra for example).

While many still like to use a lab book as primary source, I found that in my area the amount of data easily overwhelms paper-based organization. And hybrid approaches tend not to work out too well, especially for the PI, trying to make sense out of them.

Edited by CharonY

I wished those were around 10 years ago (but by now it has grown sufficiently to be workable). With regards to tools I can only recommend to use a decent system for organizing and citing papers and stick to it. Other than that probably figuring out whether one really wants to stay with something like Word (or other office packages) or try to use something like Latex (later on there will be less time to try out things).

I started using EndNote for referencing and filing away papers when I was in honours and haven't looked back since. It synchs very well with Word and it has proven to be a much simpler way of searching through my documents for papers, since you can attach them to the relevant citation in the program.

Latex is also on my list of things to try and pick up, but it's very low down on said list at the moment.

Other than that most tools would be somewhat specific to the type of research one is doing I would think. However a very useful tool in many areas is the use of something like onenote or similar that can take and organize a variety of data types (e.g. microscopic images as well as spectra for example).

While many still like to use a lab book as primary source, I found that in my area the amount of data easily overwhelms paper-based organization. And hybrid approaches tend not to work out too well, especially for the PI, trying to make sense out of them.

I have some private high school students whose school uses Onenote for all their official class notes / lectures. It hadn't occured to me how it might be useful in other ways, so thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...

I've wanted a Ubuntu / Libreoffice solution for some time. After shuffling through the /usr/lib/libreoffice/ files without finding my custom dictionary, I've realized that Robotux could easily be programmed to add an entire list of words. Robotux is 3 dollars.

• 5 years later...
On 12/30/2014 at 9:56 PM, MonDie said:

I've wanted a Ubuntu / Libreoffice solution for some time. After shuffling through the /usr/lib/libreoffice/ files without finding my custom dictionary, I've reaed that Robotux could easily be programmed to add an entire list of words. Robotux is 3 dollars.liz

Good Luck ,MonDie

Edited by TimeFlies
Trying to learn to respond,apology to MonDie