The Button

Guest Ren

Hey

I heard that there is a button on everybody's body. If it is flicked or poked hard enough, it causes the bloodflow to reverse and go into the heart which then makes the heart explode. Is this actually true?

"I heard" is hardly attributable as a source for such an earth-shaking discovery. Perhaps you could give us a link or site a study on this reverse blood-flow button we all are supposed to have.

Or we could move your first thread to Anatomy/Physiology and see the response it gets there. Any thoughts?

there are "Pressure points" on the body that will arrest blood flow to various parts of the body (usefull to know them in an emergency).

there are other nerve pressure points that can stimulate the heart rate (the vegas nerve for instance).

but make the heart explode No way! and certainly not by reversal of blood flow, it`s Impossible as all the arteries and such all have one-way valves in them. if you can see the veins on your arm try an experiment.

wear a cuff on the taop part of your arm and make a fist a few times until you can see a vein clearly "pop up". then with your finger run it down one of these from the top towards your hand with light pressure.

you`ll see little Nodes bulge up, those are the one way valves under pressure and you`re trying to reverse the blood flow.

it simply can`t happen on a bodily scale :)

edit: don`t do this for too long or too hard either, it can cause bruising or damage.

Hey

I heard that there is a button on everybody's body. If it is flicked or poked hard enough' date=' it causes the bloodflow to reverse and go into the heart which then makes the heart explode. Is this actually true?[/quote']

I'm not entirely sure whether you have any concept of reality whatsoever, but the answer is almost certainly no! :P

How old are you if you dont mind me asking ?

there are "Pressure points" on the body that will arrest blood flow to various parts of the body (usefull to know them in an emergency).

there are other nerve pressure points that can stimulate the heart rate (the vegas nerve for instance).

but make the heart explode No way! and certainly not by reversal of blood flow' date=' it`s Impossible as all the arteries and such all have one-way valves in them. if you can see the veins on your arm try an experiment.

wear a cuff on the taop part of your arm and make a fist a few times until you can see a vein clearly "pop up". then with your finger run it down one of these from the top towards your hand with light pressure.

you`ll see little Nodes bulge up, those are the one way valves under pressure and you`re trying to reverse the blood flow.

it simply can`t happen on a bodily scale :)

edit: don`t do this for too long or too hard either, it can cause bruising or damage.[/quote']

I think you might be being a little niave, answering this question with seriousness.

I see 'Ren' (many apologies if I am incorect here) as posting this, for a laugh, and then pointing out to his friends how we all took it seriously. I have seen this sort of thing happen before.

Mabye im too cynical?

I think you might be being a little niave' date=' answering this question with seriousness.

I see 'Ren' (many apologies if I am incorect here) as posting this, for a laugh, and then pointing out to his friends how we all took it seriously. I have seen this sort of thing happen before.

Mabye im too cynical?[/quote']

You may be right about Ren, we don't know. But YT niave? Nope. He answered it the way it should have been answered. :)

Bettina

So if Ren wants to be an idiot let him. If YT wants to be serious and intelligent about it let him.

Man, Ren must be really sad if he's got nothing better to do than this.

Still if it's a genuine question then see YT's post.

• 3 weeks later...

I just heard this from my friends. Why would I want to waste my time going on a forum just to get a good laugh at how serious you guys got about this? I brought this question up out of curiousity and nothing more. And then you guys turn it into some offensive thing I did, that's just thinking too much. Sorry if I seemed like a unworthy being to your all so-mighty intellects.

I think you might be being a little niave' date=' answering this question with seriousness.

Mabye im too cynical?[/quote']

So what? why can't he answer it how you're supposed to? Last time I checked the topic is about a button which may or may not exist, not debating whether or not the suspicion of the topic poster trying to get a good laugh. Which isn't even entertaining to do in the first place.

I'm not entirely sure whether you have any concept of reality whatsoever' date=' but the answer is almost certainly no! :P

How old are you if you dont mind me asking ?[/quote']

Hahahah no. Another one making chit-chat the vocal point of attention. I'll say that I'm under 17. Sorry for being so young, I'm not exactly the booksmart-type of guy.

So if Ren wants to be an idiot let him. If YT wants to be serious and intelligent about it let him.

Man' date=' Ren must be really sad if he's got nothing better to do than this.

Still if it's a genuine question then see YT's post.[/quote']

Arrogant AND judgmental, how common.

Thank you Phi and YT for staying on topic. But sadly (not like you all seem to care) I won't come back here again. Feel free to flame! Bye :)

I think in future, it would be wise to let the person that answered the question correctly, decide whether or not the question is genuine or not.

this has happened twice to me now, both were genuine questions, and both times some of you thought it wasn`t, and both times you were wrong!

so if you can`t say anything nice about someone, say NOTHING!

I read in a newspaper once about chinese children dying whilst trying to make their jaws pop (make a loud crack) I dont suggest anyone tries this, just incase the paper was right. But the kids were opening their mouths wide and then with thumbs on their chin and index fingers placed firmly behind but beneath their ears they would push, and a very loud pop would be heard. Unfortunately these kids promptly died cos they had actually broken some bone that sits just behind/beneath the ear, that i think stopped the blood flow to the brain.... not too sure of the facts in this situation and way too chicken to try it, but I dont think it involved the blood flowing the wrong way so to speak. My jaw does click though but it is the jaw and not the head, kind of a party piece lol usually makes people cringe.... which just adds to my pleasure hehehehe

I opologise. Its just that i have seen this happen so many times and i didnt want anybody here to be made fun of.

Your right, im wrong as usual. You are older, and probably more inteligent than i am.

these myths can usually be trased back to nin-po and shoulin.

the ninja were like the special forses of their time, and a lot of their modus operandi involved deception and desiet. for example, the original purpouse of shiruken (throwing stars) was not actually as a progectile combat-weapon (they had throwing knifes for that), but as a tool to make people fear ninja. they would hide in a bush after completing a mision, and throw a shiruken so that it hit someone in the back at a glansing angle before richocheying off and landing far away, which would leave a wound which resembled a sword strike. of course when the samuri turned around, he would see no-one, and assume hed been assaulted by an invisible swords-man. as long as the ninja allowed himself to be seen by someone else in the general area, it would be assumed that ninja could become invisible. alot of the ninja techniques centered around propogating the myth that they were posessed of magical powers, so that some samuri would run away rather than fight. to this end, the ninja spread a myth that they could break any bone in the human body by poking at them with two fingers, and the whole 'if i poke you here, your heart will explode' type rumors.

shoulin monks embarked on a similar rumor spreading campein for the same reason (to make people fear, and thus refrain from fighting, shoulin), claiming that the master shoulin could poke certain parts of the body and cause death instantaniously / 10 years later / 13 steps later etc.

whilst there are points on the body that have interesting effects when poked, most of them are no use in a fight, due to peoples disinclination to stand still and let you poke them whilst theyre trying to bottle you, so to be of any use a pressure point has to be easaly exessable and not too small. points such as the solar plexus (in the upside down V made by the point where your rib cage meets your sternum) is effective if struck hard, or even poked relatively gently if the pokee is not expecting it. the eyes are quite reseptive to even the gentlest of kung-fu-pokes. the entire side of the kneck is mighty humorouse if struck/poked hard (try it to yourself -- its impossible to keep your head from listing to one side), and iv even had a few of the more exotic pressure points demonstrated on me when i was attempting to stop them being done (the most annoying being rapping the funny bone with your knuckles - makes your entire fore-arm go numb for a while); but as for the 'if i poke you here you will be paralised/dead' -- thats what is known within the martial art community as 'bullshit'

the most sciensy-sounding explanation for the 'heart exploding poke' that iv heard is that if the aorta is poked fast enough, it send a shockwave through the aorta that reaches the heart, and causes a 'backing up' of the blood, preventing the heart from beating and screwing with the timekeeping of the beats and thus causing the heart to stop, however this still sounds a llittle dubiouse to me, to say the least. it is theoryoretically possible, as this is how hydrashock bullets work (by sending a shockwave through the blood) but it is doubtfull that a swift poke could convey enough forse to create a hydrashock powerful enough to stop the heart, let allone make it explode.

on the subject of the behind-the-ear pressure point, it is commonly believed that this point can knockout a person with relative ease, as the skull is thin here and the shockwave travells easaly to the brain. whilst im not sure of the exact mechanism by which it works, this point should be treated like the softish part of the skull at the back of the head, where the spine meets the skull -- ie, yes its easy to knock someone out with a blow there, but its also easy to accidently kill someone by hitting them there, so dont do it!

so in summary, yes, there are a couple of points on the body where it is claimed a swift poke will cause the heart to explode, but as to whether the claims are actually true -- highly doubtful