Cannabis can have dramatic effect on brain cancer

tentacle

"Those treated with both irradiation and the cannabinoids saw the most beneficial results and a drastic reduction in size. In some cases, the tumours effectively disappeared in the animals. This augurs well for further research in humans in the future. At the moment this is a mostly fatal disease.

"The benefits of the cannabis plant elements were known before but the drastic reduction of brain cancers if used with irradiation is something new and may well prove promising for patients who are in gravely serious situations with such cancers in the future."

• 2 years later...

THC kills cancer cells in vitro and in vivo.

Several preclinical studies suggest that Δ9-THC, other naturally occurring cannabinoids, synthetic cannabinoid agonists and endocannabinoids have anti-cancer effects in vitro against lung carcinoma, gliomas, thyroid epithelioma, lymphoma, skin carcinoma, uterine carcinoma, breast cancer, prostate carcinoma, pancreatic cancer and neuroblastoma [4]. These findings were also supported by in vivo studies and the majority of effects of cannabinoids are mediated via CB1 and CB2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4171598/

I disagree. Cannabis has many medicinal properties and can potentially be used to treat brain cancer.

Furthermore, marijuana smoking actually improves lung function: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1104848

I suggest you stop talking nonsense...

Cannabis is NOT good for you. I've used that junk for years, and it hasn't done me any good. It may indeed have medicinal properties, but so does chemotherapy, so that doesn't say much (chemotherapy is undoubtedly much worse, of course).

Obviously I'm not talking about casual use. Heavy cannabis use isn't healthy, especially when smoking. Comes from experience.

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with weed. But since this is a science forum, your personal experience is irrelevant to the supporting evidences that cannabis can have a dramatic effect on cancer.

Oh dear indeed :rolleyes:

I didn't have 'a negative experience' with cannabis, I was a reasonably heavy user for years. Furthermore, I didn't say it doesn't have beneficial effects, I claimed it's not healthy. Beneficial medicinal properties don't imply that something is healthy. Many medical drugs work as advertised, so they certainly have beneficial medicinal properties, but that doesn't mean that many of them don't have undesirable side effects.

Drugs aren't healthy, beneficial medicinal properties or not.

Edited by Thorham

Oh dear indeed :rolleyes:

I didn't have 'a negative experience' with cannabis, I was a reasonably heavy user for years. Furthermore, I didn't say it doesn't have beneficial effects, I claimed it's not healthy. Beneficial medicinal properties don't imply that something is healthy. Many medical drugs work as advertised, so they certainly have beneficial medicinal properties, but that doesn't mean that many of them don't have undesirable side effects.

Drugs aren't healthy, beneficial medicinal properties or not.

Warfarin anyone? Botox

Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear you had a negative experience with weed. But since this is a science forum, your personal experience is irrelevant to the supporting evidences that cannabis can have a dramatic effect on cancer.

Whatever medicinal effects it may have, it does not support your recreational use of it, which, I think, is your ulterior motivation for banging on about it... and other people as well.

Whatever medicinal effects it may have, it does not support your recreational use of it, which, I think, is your ulterior motivation for banging on about it... and other people as well.

This thread is about the potential anti-cancer effect of cannabis. Your comments are evidences of your utter ignorance on the subject.

Furthermore, marijuana smoking actually improves lung function: http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1104848

I suggest you stop talking nonsense...

I suggest you actually read the conclusion of the report in the link you give:

"Occasional and low cumulative marijuana use was not associated with adverse effects on pulmonary function......Marijuana smoke contains many of the same constituents as tobacco smoke,6 but it is unclear whether smoking marijuana causes pulmonary damage similar to that caused by tobacco. ... It is possible that cumulative damage to the lungs from years of marijuana use could be masked by short-term effects; prior analyses have not attempted to disentangle these factors. "

This thread is about the potential anti-cancer effect of cannabis. Your comments are evidences of your utter ignorance on the subject.

I think he is at least justified in giving an opinion as to your motives for starting the thread, given that you seem to distort the findings of reports that you find.
Edited by DrKrettin