HEAT ABSORBTION

aticha.b

I am renovating my house, and I am wondering if there's any material that can absorb the heat from coming through the walls and keep the temperature in the room lower than outside?

Permanently, no. As hypervalent_iodine has suggested, install insulation - that will act as an impediment to heat transfer. It will limit the rate at which the temperature goes up when it's warmer outside, but also limit the rate at which you cool down when it's hotter inside. That's a good thing when it's cool outside , but not when it's hot.

If you are in a warm climate and trying to stay cool, probably the other improvement you can make is to put material on the windows to lower the amount of sunlight that gets in, and install good shades. Once you have good insulation in place, most of your interior heating will be via the windows.

I recently read about an interesting and potentially relevant housing development: Installing packets of paraffin wax in the walls. These absorb the heat during the day, and release it at night, lowering the change of temperature in rooms.

Found here: http://www.wpi.edu/Images/CMS/News/Apelian_JOM.pdf

Neat! I know they have done similar things for hot beverages - something with an appropriate melting point sealed in a food-safe container. The phase change cools the liquid but then maintains it at that temperature while it re-solidifies. Your link has stalled out on me, but I found another http://www.basf.com/group/corporate/us/en/news-and-media-relations/science-around-us/micronal/story