When Did US Astronauts Rescue Russian Cosmonauts?

PS85

I seem to strongly remember when a Russian spacecraft was in deep trouble and a US spacecraft came right next to it and a US astronaut came out and fixed something vital on the Russian ship. I also seem to remember that the Russian craft was known to be in troube and a US craft was sent up specifically to rescue it, among other things. It was treated with great hoopla at the time, but I seem to be unable to find exactly when it happened on internet search engines. I seem to remember the Russian craft as being old and antiquated, so maybe it was Mir.
Any help would be appreciated.

I recommend a career as a fiction writer. Nothing similar to what you describe has occurred. There was an American astronaut on board Mir as part of the crew when fire broke out on the craft. Perhaps you are recalling this. Also, there were several rendezvous between the shuttle and Mir, but all of these were scheduled. Have a look at the wiki on this and see if anything strikes a chord.

I checked wikipedia, couldn't find it. The part about the astronaut going on the outside of the Russian craft I'm not 100% sure of, but I seem to vividly remember us launching a craft that was supposed to deliver someone to the Russian craft to fix it. Apparently it wasn't a case where something vital had failed and they needed help right away, but something needed to be fixed sometime or it wouldn't be able to continue.

• 4 months later...

Actually, this sounds like the '60's sci-fi movie 'Marooned'. Only it was the American (Apollo) that was stranded and a Russian spacecraft (Voskhod?) came up to rescue. A good yarn if patently unrealistic. . .

• 1 year later...

Actually, this sounds like the '60's sci-fi movie 'Marooned'. Only it was the American (Apollo) that was stranded and a Russian spacecraft (Voskhod?) came up to rescue. A good yarn if patently unrealistic. . .

Rather more believable than the OP's version I would think.

I think this was the film Jim Lovell disliked because the commander died.

Later, as commander of Apollo 13 he may have wondered if life was going to imitate art...