Treating strep or not?

I think I have contracted strep throats. I have the symptoms and been feeling terrible for the past 3 days. It said online that you treat it with Antibiotics but strep throat goes away with or without antibiotics if you get treatment or not in 3-7 days. So does it matter if you treat it or not?

Edited by Marshalscienceguy

As many infectous diseases your immune system can and will ultimately clear Streptococcal infection, though it can take some time. However you should remember that in some patients and especially in children Streptococcal infection can cause some serious complication such as: scarlet fever, middle ear infection (Otitis media), post Streptococcal Glomerulonephritis, pediatric autoimmune neuro disorders associated with Streptococcal infections (PANDAS), rheumatic fever, endocarditis, and more.

In most of the cases Streptococcus pyogenes (group A Streptococcus), and gr. C+G Streptococci are sensitive to penicillin drugs (e.g augmentin). They often seen as just Strep throat bacteria, while at the same time can cause other complications.

I think I have contracted strep throats. I have the symptoms and been feeling terrible for the past 3 days. It said online that you treat it with Antibiotics but strep throat goes away with or without antibiotics if you get treatment or not in 3-7 days. So does it matter if you treat it or not?

It matters to us that you're ill and need help. The BEST thing to do is involve a healthcare professional immediately for a personal diagnosis. Your health is too important to trust to online guessers, yes?

I recommend ignoring people who give medical advice on-line without credentials and an examination.

I am a nurse, and this is the standard line we use. I won't post these types of responses any more. The overuse of antibiotics is a problem, and people don't give their immune system a chance to work.

There is of course huge risk with the minimal information shared in a brief post.

Edited by Willie71

With all due respect to your profession, should anyone ever suggest treatment of a condition where the patient doesn't have a qualified diagnosis?

(outside of emergency and first aid care)

You are, of course, right about the over-use of antibiotics. There's every chance this "strep" throat is a viral infection.

In the absence of any other information, antibiotics for this individual have a better chance of causing an upset stomach than of treating the illness.

Edited by John Cuthber

With all due respect to your profession, should anyone ever suggest treatment of a condition where the patient doesn't have a qualified diagnosis?

(outside of emergency and first aid care)

You are, of course, right about the over-use of antibiotics. There's every chance this "strep" throat is a viral infection.

In the absence of any other information, antibiotics for this individual have a better chance of causing an upset stomach than of treating the illness.

Good, points. I am not dismissing what you say at all. One has to be very cautious.

As I noted, I won't make these types of recommendations in future. :embarass:

Just for clarification, what I am referring to is not diagnosis or treatment, but a way to assess symptoms, and all we have is a vague description of symptoms that could be based on a bacteria or a virus, the specific one is not known. If there was a history that suggested long standing complications, exposure to rare pathogens, poisoning etc, then the immediate response is get checked out , preferably by someone who knows your history. In this case, the most probable causes by a long shot are minor. We are in flu season, shifting the odds significantly.

What we do know about the immune system is that it takes a couple days to get a handle on what is going on, so two to three days should result in a turning of the tides. If there isn't, your body needs more rest, or a boost to help it. This is the logic behind the three day assessment/observation, and it does not dismiss the risks you note with recommendations with minimal information.

To be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative, just to give background to the rationelle, which would only be appropriate under specific circumstances. In other cases, I typically strongly recommend proper assessment. :) (Without any other recommendation.)

Can we agree that the best way to treat many or most (non trivial) symptoms is to take them to a doctor (or a pharmacist/ nurse/ paramedic), and find out what's gone wrong and that asking on a web page isn't a very good way to deal with such symptoms?

:)

Yes, I am agreeing with you. I have read a number of your posts and respect what you say. I just wanted to give a rationelle, so you didn't think I was posting willy nilly. Like I said, I will just direct people to be assessed in future.

Warren :)